Samsung forum

General discussion

cable box

by margueri13 / January 10, 2010 9:52 AM PST

I have a Scientific American Explorer 4200 cable box. I just purchased a Samsung led lcd 55" un8500 series tv. Do I need to get a new cable box from cablevision or can I get hdtv with this box?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: cable box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: cable box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
cable box
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2010 2:28 PM PST
In reply to: cable box

margueri13,

The Scientific Explorer 4200HD, I believe is a HD cable box. To know for sure, it would be best to contact your cable/sat provider to find out which box you have, and which resolutions it will support. (480i/p, 720p, 1080i/p)

Typically, companies won't issue an HD box unless you've ordered HD service. But that's just a guess on my part if you have an HD box or not.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Cable Box
by _jr_ / January 14, 2010 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: cable box

>>>Scientific American Explorer 4200>>>

Did you mean Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200?

If it is the 4200 and not the 4200HD, then you cannot get HD signal out of this box. I don't know about Cablevision, but Time Warner in my area includes HD programming for free, but you have to request an HD box (like SA Explorer 4250HD) from them.
To answer your question: yes, you will need a new box.

Also, keep in mind that the 4200HD does *not* have an HDMI port, rather DVI and Component. So make sure the new box they give you has an HDMI port. Ask specifically for a box with HDMI...

_jr_

Collapse -
3 prong vs 2prong
by margueri13 / January 15, 2010 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Cable Box

Well I got Cablevision to give me the scientific americam Explorer 4250 HD with the HDMI port on the back ...now my problem is in the intructions they direct me to plug the power cord from my Samsung UNB8500 tv which has a 3 prong plug....into the cable box ....which only accepts 2 prong plugs. Can anyone tell me how I resolve this ?

Collapse -
confused by all these cables!
by margueri13 / January 15, 2010 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: 3 prong vs 2prong

I meant to say I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250 HD.

Collapse -
Power plug
by _jr_ / January 15, 2010 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: 3 prong vs 2prong

You don't have to plug the TV into the Cable Box.

This is only useful if:
1. You don't have enough power outlets
2. You want the TV to turn on/off automatically when you power on/off the cable Box.
3. You set the timer on the Cable box. At preset time, the cables box will turns itself and the TV on, and you get sound right away.

So either plug the TV in a normal outlet and program the cable box remote to operate the TV, or get a 3-to-2 prong adapter. Since the cable box is already grounded, you don't have to worry about the ground pin on the TV power cord.

_jr_

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.