PC Hardware forum

General discussion

CAB FILES

Windows 98
Compaq Presario 7000's
CD-rom Compaq LTN403

When I was in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYSI in safe mode I was renaming the extension of a driver/cd burner program ending in .vxd but accidently deleted the entire name which I have now forgotten. Since then my CD-ROM has not been working giving this message "A device from the system is not functioning, E:\ inaccessible" A guy from Compaq recommended that I go into safe mode and go into the CAB files to reinstall the file.

Anybody know how to extract or use CAB files to reinstall missing files from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS?

THANKS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CAB FILES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CAB FILES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: CAB FILES...instead

In reply to: CAB FILES

go to RUN, type SFC and when the program comes up, click on Advanced or Settings and put checks in both boxes listed so it will look for altered and deleted files. Then run the program.

It will notify you of files that have been (usually) updated by newer versions so click OK to accept that, and it will also tell you that files have been deleted, naming them, and you can choose RESTORE when you see ones you've deleted in error and need back. You will see the path where the file will go to, but you might have to change the path for the source so it reads from the CD if you don't have the cab files on your harddrive already.

Since your cdrom isn't working, this would present a problem, but one you can get around...here's how:

Get your W98 bootdisk and reboot the computer with it, then choose START WITH CDROM SUPPORT when that window appears. It will tell you the drive letter that it is going to temporarily use so write it down when it shows up.

When you get to the A: prompt, type C: and press Enter. Now type MD CABS and press Enter. That created a new folder for you called CABS under the C:

Now change to the CDROM drive letter you wrote down (could be E: ), put your W98 cd into the drive and now type CD WIN98 and press Enter. That puts you at E:>WIN98 and it will be blinking.

Now type COPY *.* C:\CABS and press Enter

and it will copy all those cab files to your harddrive under the CABS folder.

Reboot the computer without the floppy disk when it is finished and go back to RUN, type SFC and run the program again. Now use the browse button to get to the C:\CABS folder so it will locate the SOURCE of the files to replace, and you don't need to use the cdrom to do it. Once you have replaced the file, reboot the computer and see if your cdrom is working again.

TONI

Collapse -
Set up and memory problem

In reply to: Re: CAB FILES...instead

Thanks for the help TONI. But I don't have Windows98 Boot disk b/c Win98 came installed on my computer.

Can anyone help me with this error message?

Paraphrase: "Setup cannot continue b/c you do not have enough conventional memory on your hard drive."
I get this message when I try to go on cd/windows/options/cabs/setup

Collapse -
Re: Set up and memory problem

In reply to: Set up and memory problem

go to http://www.bootdisk.de and download a bootdisk file for W98SE. Once downloaded, put a clean floppy disk in the drive and click the EXE file you downloaded. A small dos window will appear and it will begin to create the bootdisk for you. It will show you the progress and let you know when it's done...takes about ten minutes to complete.

Are you attempting to run an installation from your harddrive in a windows environment? If so, you may be getting that message because other things are running in the background and stopping the setup from going on.

If you already have the cab files on your harddrive, and it appears you do, go to RUN, type SFC, run the program and point it to that cabs folder that already exists in order to replace the missing file. Windows will automatically extract it for you.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Set up and memory problem

In reply to: Set up and memory problem

If you have a floppy drive installed and a good disk, Win98 will make a boot disk for you. I believe this is in the control panel under add/remove programs. It will create a bootable disk with a few utilities such as Fdisk, format,etc. and contains generic CD ROM drivers as well (when you get your device to work).

Collapse -
Thanks for the help guys

In reply to: CAB FILES

I solved my pc dilemma.
THANK YOU AGAIN

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What did you do to fix it?

In reply to: Thanks for the help guys

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.