Speakeasy forum

General discussion

CA Driving School Exam Answers

by Rolway / May 31, 2005 5:09 AM PDT
The following are a sampling of REAL answers received on exams given by the California Department of Transportation's driving school...

Q. Do you yield when a blind pedestrian is crossing the road?
A. What for? He can't see my license plate.

Q. Who has the right of way when four cars approach a four-way stop at the same time?
A. The pick up truck with the gun rack and the bumper sticker saying, ''Guns don't kill people. I do.''

Q. What are the important safety tips to remember when backing your car?
A. Always wear a condom.

Q. When driving through fog, what should you use?
A. Your car.

Q. How can you reduce the possibility of having an accident?
A. Be too sh** faced to find your keys.

Q. What problems would you face if you were arrested for drunk driving?
A. I'd probably lose my buzz a lot faster.

Q. What changes would occur in your lifestyle if you could no longer drive lawfully?
A. I would be forced to drive unlawfully.

Q. What are some points to remember when passing or being passed?
A. Make eye contact and wave ''hello'' if they're cute.

Q. What is the difference between a flashing red traffic light and a flashing yellow traffic light?
A. The color.

Q. How do you deal with heavy traffic?
A. Heavy psychedelics.

Q. What can you do to help ease a heavy traffic problem?
A. Carry loaded military grade weapons

Also, did you know in a recent poll taken, the little state of Rhode Island has the worst drivers in the country. Massachusetts is 2nd on the list naturally.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: CA Driving School Exam Answers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: CA Driving School Exam Answers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup, and NJ was 3rd worst
by Josh K / May 31, 2005 6:22 AM PDT

I thought we were trying hard enough to be #1 but I guess we couldn't quite cut it. I know I've found myself shouting "WHAT THE **** IS THAT GUY DOING????" enough times to think we had a lock on it.

Wait till next year!!!!

Wink

Collapse -
Florida
by James Denison / May 31, 2005 6:51 AM PDT

In Florida, among those who are natives to the state, (born and raised there) the most hated drivers are those from NJ, with NY running a close second. Most Floridians tend to believe everyone with a NY tag is from NYC. Some years back, to avoid "problems" those who live there several months out of a year, but needed to keep their home state plates, but also didn't want it known on the road where they were from, passed a law allowing Florida Only plates and driver licenses. That meant they were at least safe, until they opened their mouth.

Collapse -
:-) Everybody who comes...
by Angeline Booher / May 31, 2005 9:27 AM PDT

....through Tennessee says we have the worse drivers.

Of course, it is the direct route from the North to the South and vice-versa, which means that a lot of the drivers are not Tennesseans.:-)

I've come to the conclusion that the worse drivers are those passing through anywhere.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I lived in Tennessee
by Josh K / May 31, 2005 9:38 AM PDT

One reason we left was that we were afraid to drive anywhere. One thing about NJ -- you won't see people doing 80 in the snow like I did in Tennessee!

Collapse -
I think, Josh...
by Angeline Booher / June 1, 2005 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: I lived in Tennessee

.... the speeders were from up North headed for the warm climes of Florida. Happy

Seriously, there are people who move here who are not used to the many hills and curves we have. I remember when my sisiter (from MI)took a trip to North Carolina, she was scared! There are many wrecks coming off the Briley Parkway Bridge heading toward (the former) Opryland from taking the curve properly.

She and her family were also shocked re: how hard it was to move in our snow, due to the ice underneath from the daytime thawing underneath.

I have lived in quite a few states, and have seen bad drivers in them all. When visiting in CA, I was so imressed that drivers on the insterstate stopped to allow cars from the on ramp to enter. Then I heard that insurance rates there are high due to the high accident rate. Go Figure.

I think that sometimes we feel more comfortable in our familiar environs. We anticipate the trouble spots, the signal lights, etc., and know ow to get to where we are going.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I was scared!
by Cindi Haynes / June 1, 2005 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I think, Josh...

In Michigan, if they mark a curve at 35 mph, it's still safe at about 60.

In North Carolia, if they say 35 mph, they MEAN 35 mph!!

Cindi

Collapse -
That reminds me...
by Angeline Booher / June 1, 2005 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I was scared!

Once when we were on a curvy road with lots of blind spots, my husband came upon a 30mph speed limit sign.

"Does that mean I have to drive that fast?" he asked, half-joking, as he had been going between 15 and 20 mph. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
The (former) Opryland
by Josh K / June 1, 2005 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: I think, Josh...

Did that monstrosity close?

I remember that bridge well from when I lived in Nashville. I recall a snowy day when everyone was spinning out trying to navigate the curved, ascending exit from the northbound Briley Parkway onto that bridge. Since I had a lot of experience driving in snow, I was the only one who made it to the top, LOL.

Collapse -
What?
by Angeline Booher / June 2, 2005 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: The (former) Opryland

"Monstrosity?"

At our end, we will never forgive Gaylord Entertainment for closing it. Not for the way they did it. Just a sudden announcement.

My kids started their work experiences there when they reached 16, and those experiences held them in good stead. It was a safe place for them to work, as well. The closing sure cut into a decent opportunity for teen emplyment!

It was inexpensive, compared to other theme parks. All was included in the admission, except for food and souvenirs. The flowers and plantings were very pretty, and there was a lot of shade.

Of course, the theme was music, and a wide range of it was featured - country, rock and roll, show tunes, etc.

It employed a lot of people, was a great place for kids to start, and was family oriented. The "Andrew Jackson", a stern wheeler showboat, ran regularly. (Now it runs, with luck, every couple of months in the summer when a large group hires it.)

Season passes were available. . We used to go there many times to catch a show or have dinner.

Gaylord built on the land -guess what? A shopping mall called "Opry Mills". No locals go there except to a movie place and a couple of restaurants. It's a tourist trap.

A cab driver told me that one of his fares he picked up from the airport was a family from England. They had vacationed at Opryland before, and returned to do so again. He had to be the one to tell them it had just closed.

The closing has had a large impact on our local economy. You take away over 2 million visitors a year, and the tax dollars are lost.

Congrats for making it up the snowy bridge hill. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I thought you were referring to the Hotel....
by Josh K / June 2, 2005 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: What?

...at which I worked while I was living there, and for me it was one of the worst employment experiences I've ever had. We were treated like cattle. Maybe it's different when you're a teenager working (I'm sure, knowing Gaylord) for minimum wage.

The theme park was nice though; I'm sorry to hear it closed but not surprised that Gaylord would turn the property into something geared towards larger amounts of short-term income (retail stores selling things at -- I'm sure, knowing Gaylord -- Fifth Avenue prices) with no eye towards long-term and intangible benefits like word of mouth bringing in more people. They used to do the same things at the hotel -- charge people $3.00 for a small can of salted peanuts at the bars for example -- when giving them out free would probably have resulted in more drink sales and higher profits. The guests used to complain that they felt they were being nickel-and-dimed to death.

I guess they're still one of the biggest employers in the area. I'd also guess that they still have a turnstile in the HR office, the turnover rate being as high as it was. We used to call it the Evil Empire, the Death Star, you name it.

{shudder} flashbacks....

Collapse -
You are correct..
by Angeline Booher / June 2, 2005 3:56 AM PDT

... in most of your comments.

The hotel has such a hard time getting workers that they arranged for legal immigrants from Mexico to take the jobs. They house them in a motel, and bus them to and from work. These are the housekeeping, etc. types of work.

I have a neighbor who was an Executive Housekeeper at another up-scale hotel. Born in France, she still speaks it fluently. But they did away with her position in a cost-cutting move.

The Opryland Hotel has a wonderful Christmas display of lights, etc., inside and out. In the past you could just drive through and see the lights for free. No more.

The Opryland theme park was hard work. Some kids didn't like to work hard, so would quit. But those who hung in there got periodic raises, and promotions. My son was there longer as my daughter went off to college, but he rose to a salaried supervisory position. I t was there he was introduced to computers, inventory management, time management, etc. After he graduated from college, those skills looked mighty good on his resume.

Both of mine were treated well by the grown-up PTB. They were treated to some trips to other theme parks, and their uniforms were furnished, which were freshly laundered by the park laundry staff every day. A very nice yearbook was published annually.

It was started by WSM in the early 60's. Gaylord bought it later. They are the ones who closed the zoo and petting zoo on the grounds because it didn't bring in money.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Sadly, I'm not at all surprised....
by Josh K / June 2, 2005 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: You are correct..

...that they'd charge admission for the light display. I guess it hasn't occurred to them that visitors might decide to go into the hotel and have a drink, dinner, etc. and that an admission fee for the lights would deter people rather than attract them.

When I was working there they had a shuttle bus from the hotel to the theme park. The distance was only around 1/4 mile or so but -- yup -- you had to pay to ride the bus even if you were a guest at the hotel. They were also one of the last hotels to make guests pay for local phone calls. The rooms were in the $150-$200 per night range back then, and I have to tell you, for all that money the rooms were no big deal.

I'm not surprised about the Mexican immigrants either. I guess everyone else in Nashville has already worked there and quit.

Another flashback -- the employee parking lot was so far from the hotel that you had to ride a shuttle bus to get to work. No, they didn't charge us a fee for that but they paid bus mechanics so little that the only people willing to work for them were those unable to get work anywhere else. Naturally, the buses were constantly breaking down.

Yeesh, what a horror show that place was.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You should be ashamed of revealing these answers :P
by Dragon / May 31, 2005 10:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) should be ashamed he didn't give them in spanish :)
by jonah jones / May 31, 2005 1:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yeah, right -- they're always multiple guess exams!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / May 31, 2005 1:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Nope, the Saturday Traffic School tests...

are NOT all multiple choice in California (and many other states). These are the traffic schools that judges sentence moving violation offenders to attend.

Those Traffic Schools are set up so each chapter contains a quiz or quizzes that review important content from that chapter. The number of quizzes and quiz questions varies depending on your course. The quizzes do not affect your final exam score but will provide you with and excellent opportunity to master the course material. You also must take and pass a final exam upon completion of the course.

That FINAL TEST is one of the regular licensing tests we all took at one time and they normally are multiple choice.

Collapse -
Mexican Drivers
by Pat S / June 2, 2005 2:59 AM PDT

Here in Southern California are definetly the worst. The one and only reason I support drivers licences for illegals. Not only do they drive poorly, you have to dodge fluids and parts falling off the cars and worry that the pick-ups with old mattresses stacked fourteen feet high won't tip over.

Collapse -
What they do is buy insurance.
by Dragon / June 2, 2005 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Mexican Drivers

This is just so they can get tags or whatever -- Then they cancel, so many of them are uninsured. If one of them hits you, they dont have insurance to cover it. Ive heard of programs in other states, that track this kind of thing. Its what we need in Texas so everyone will be at least minimally covered.

Collapse -
Drivers
by Cindi Haynes / June 2, 2005 8:04 AM PDT

Hi Dragon,

Drivers in MI do the same thing. Since registration is required once per year, you can go nearly that long without insurance!

In NC, the DMV is notified if you cancel/lose your insurance, and they send the sheriff to your door to collect your plate. They don't mess around here!

Cindi

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?