General discussion

c000021a Fatal System Error status 0xc000026c

System cycles to blue screen with this message, on my Dell Inspiron 6000 w/XP Professional Pack 2. I want to re-load XP but have tried every safe mode option and can't get to any kind of prompt that stops the Session Manager termination blue screen.

Can anyone tell me how to re-load XP from cd when I have this problem?

Thank you
George G
Seattle WA

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: c000021a Fatal System Error status 0xc000026c
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: c000021a Fatal System Error status 0xc000026c
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
"the Session Manager termination blue screen" WORM?
- Collapse -
Fatal System Error Status 0xc000026c

Hi George,
Did you have any luck fixing this problem? Did you lose any data? Would appreciate any help you (or any one else for that matter!) could give me. My Inspiron has been down for a week now.
Thanks!
Jacqueline

- Collapse -
My Fix to Fatal System Error Status 0xc000026c

Hello Jacqueline:

My fix ended up as follows: I pulled the hard disk out of my Inspiron and our IT fellow at work had an adapter that you can plug the Inspiron hard disk into. The end of the adapter cord is a USB plug. So you plug that USB cord into any other computer and that computer thinks your Inspiron hard drive is just an external storage device. This allowed me to move my data from my Inspiron hard drive to another machine. (As an aside, that adapter that allowed me to do that looked like a cheap part...one small circuit board and one USB with one cable leading out to a USB plug ... probably a $15 item.)

Next, I put the Inspiron hard drive back into my Inspiron (it's an easy process .. just turn your computer over and it's two small screws!).

Now I want to re-load Windows XP Professional on my machine. But I couldn't get the machine to look at the cd driver to boot from the disk. When I would turn on the machine, it went to the blue screen, and hitting F8 / F12 didn't give me any successful alternative ... all roads lead to the blue screen of death.

A friend told me to hit the F2 button and set the boot sequence to the CD drive, which I did.

Now the computer looks to boot up from the CD driver. I then reloaded XP and that wiped all data off my hard drive ... I'm basically starting from scratch. Then I reloaded my Office package, McAfee, etc.

Finally, I move the data that I had stored on a separate computer back onto my machine.

Anyone going through this has my sympathy, and to the extent I can help you, I'm willing.

You can e-mail me at georsk01@yahoo.com, and you can call me at (206) 792-6857 (pacific time ... so please make allowances for time difference). I'm no tech guru, but perhaps I can save you some grief if you have to recreate what I've just done.

So far, machine is working great! Perhaps even faster than before as anything mischevous would have been wiped off the drive.

George
Seattle, WA

- Collapse -
Fatal System Error

Hello George,
Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier...I have to find time to use my husband's computer and we are packing to move the end of the month.aaagrh...Not enough time.
Anyway, thank you for the info. It seems pretty straight forward so we'll give it a try. My husband, Bruce has an Inspiron 6000 also. (I'm using it now) Hopefully I didn't lose any data on mine. I am an artist and a lot of photos of my art work is on that hard drive. That will teach me NOT to back stuff up. I really should know better, as I worked IT for many years. Mainframe years and a few years of networks and PCs. I was burned out as you can imagine.
I'll be in touch if we need any clarification.

Once again, thanks so much. By the way, do you have any idea what caused this? We have Roadrunner and it has all the usual protections, firewall, spam killer, etc., so it should protect against worms and viruses and stuff. Especially ones that have been around.

Oh, well, we'll let you know. Happy
Regards,
Jacqueline

- Collapse -
Hello Geroge

If you had a stored Drive Image of your laptop operating system on an external hard drive all you would have had to do is boot from Norton Ghost 9.0 and restore a drive and you would not have lost anything and your computer would be exactly like it was the day you made the drive image.

Saving drive images and restoring them has changed my computer down time to very little.

I just made a PC with an E-6600 CPU and it saves a drive image in less then three minutes and if I delete and format that partition I can put the entire operating system back on in three minutes..
Absolutely amazing...

I also learned how to do it with Vista.

CNET Forums

Forum Info