Computer Help forum

General discussion

c000021a fatal system error in windows xp pro

my laptop shut itself down today and would not let me back on windows. i get the error message "c000021a fatal system error. windows logon process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000420 (ox00000000 0x00000000). the system has been shut down."

it kept auto restarting. i tried going in to safe mode and safe mode with networking, and it wouldn't let me in, kept shutting me down.
then after numerous tries i was able to logon normally and system restored and was able to logon normal the next couple reboots, but it did not fix the problem i am again getting the error message and getting shut down trying to get to safe modes. then after numerous tries i got on windows normally again. can someone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: c000021a fatal system error in windows xp pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: c000021a fatal system error in windows xp pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No make, model or age.

In reply to: c000021a fatal system error in windows xp pro

This error is widely reported on laptops that never get a cleaning of the vents or are Pentium 4 based. Details like that do help.

Collapse -

In reply to: No make, model or age.

i'll try to provide any info that will help. it is a core 2 duo. i haven't cleaned the vents all that often but dunno if that has anything to do with it. i just sprayed the vents at any rate.

Collapse -
oops i cant edit

In reply to: reply

it is about a year and a half old

Collapse -
Since that didn't get the info.

In reply to: reply

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: Since that didn't get the info.

ok, it is a gateway nx570x, windows xp pro. any other info you need?

Collapse -
XP Pro is noteworthy.

In reply to: ok

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-nx570x/4505-3121_7-32144147.html noted Vista and a XP Media Center edition.

After I clean up this unit's heatsinks, fans and make sure the CPU heatsink is buttoned down and spotless I might swap in another hard disk and load the supplied OS to retest if the OS or drivers are the issue.

That error code is caused by a lot of things including heat but XP Pro is often a gimme that the OS and drivers are suspect.
Bob
Collapse -
ok

In reply to: XP Pro is noteworthy.

i will need some help with that. i noticed a couple more symptoms. i am unable to turn my computer off or restart using start, turn off computer/restart. i have to click the power button to shut off. also some of the items in my notifications menu are missing, including my avg virus icon. i noticed doing a search my avg was not giving me checks on webpages. could this be a virus maybe? so i updated manually through the link on my desktop and it said i needed to restart. so i shut off computer and it let me back on thankfully and the notifications are back to normal it seems and avg free is giving check marks on webpages again. that's never happened before. weird. avg gave me a accessed file information c:/program files/bit che/bit_che.exe. options add to exceptions, remove threat as power user, or ignore. i tried to select remove threat and i'm not sure it let me. didnt say anything. running a virus scan now though. hmm

i'm not sure what to do. my xp pro disc is from gateway and am not sure if it has repair function on it or if it is just reinstall. i do not want to lose all my data. it warns reinstall operating system process erases all data and files from the hard drive.

Collapse -
That's why

In reply to: ok

We pop a new blank hard disk into the unit when we do the restore the OS test. There is no clue in your posts that tells me it's this or that so when that happens we use our tests to figure it out.
Bob

Collapse -
not sure what you mean exactly

In reply to: That's why

i dont understand entirely. what do i need to do? one other thing i'm unable to install the microsoft.net framework 3.5 service pack 1 and framework 3.5 family high-priority windows update for some reason. dont know what is up..

Collapse -
In no uncertain terms.

In reply to: not sure what you mean exactly

1. Remove old drive to safeguard it's contents.
2. Install blank drive.
3. Install the OS and see if the issues are still there.
4. If they are, we haven't found the problem or we created it during the install or this or that.

At post 10 you reveal there is an issue with NET 3.5 SP1. No offense but your discussion is a testament to what happens when details are not shared. The discussion has to meander and may never end with a happy or easy solution. You've made it so I have to fall back on the tried and true answer of "reinstall the OS and start over."

But let's use your clue about the Net 3.5 SP1 and pair it up with a prior discussion about install troubles. If I do that my advice changes to "Do the following"

1. Do what Grif writes about at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=319857&messageID=2925588&tag=forums06;posts#2925588

2. Read then do the new installer 4.5 install discussed at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=327892&messageID=2966378&tag=forums06;posts#2966378

3. After that installer installation there is a widely known issue with NET Framework install failures. Items 1 and 2 are work we do PRIOR to this step 3 and the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility is called up next AFTER we used Add/Remove Software in Windows to uninstall all Net Frameworks. Now that we uninstalled the Net framewords we call up the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and remove any remaining NET entries.

I hope you see either path beats the usual answer.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.