Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd problem

When I boot up, I get this message before Windows shows up: "Cannot find a file device that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The Wiodows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file but the device file no longer exits. If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try uninstalling that application to replace the missing file.

C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd

Press any key to continue"

When I do press a key, Windows opens after a short wait.

I had installed McAfee by AOL and have uninstalled it. I don't know what version it was.

Goggling vshinit.vxd, I find several posts asbout how to get rid of the above message, involving going into the registry.

Well, shucks, I just went back to google to remember how some of these solutions read, and I found the issue was recently dealt with in CNET forums. But the quesioner had already solved the problem so the solution does not appear.

Here, in case it is helpful, is one version of a solution, from http://forums.thetechguys.com/archive/index.php/t-1710.html :

"A. (On further questioning, it was learned that the questioner began having this problem after she had McAfee AntiVirus removed from her computer and Norton AntiVirus installed.)

Initially, bring up the System.ini screen by clicking Start, click Run and type in SYSEDIT. Click on System.ini file, scroll down the entries and if you find VSHINIT.VXD, type REM at front of the line.

Most likely you will have to go to the Registry, i.e., click on Start, click on Run and type in REGEDIT. You should now see the Registry window. You should then export the Registry by clicking on the File menu, give it a name, e.g., registry1.reg and export this file to your hard drive or to a floppy.
Next, click on the Edit menu; click Find and type in VSHINIT.VXD and search for it. At each find, delete the file then depress the F3 to continue the search. When no more new ones are found, exit the Registry. Restart the machine."

I have Windows 98SE, and IE6.0, and a number of wrinkles in my brow caused by computers.

grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Grandpaw, This Should Help

In reply to: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd problem

Yes, the file is a "remnant" from your previous McAfee installation. The procedure provided below should be simple for you to follow:

As long as you have uninstalled all McAfee Virus Scan programs from your computer, you should be able to remove all the registry remnants from your computer by running the McAfee clean up file from the link below. It works with Virus Scan 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x. (You'll need an "unzipper" program to unzip the download.) Click on the link to immediately start the download. Download it to your desktop, Unzip the file with an unzipper program, then double click on the "VirusScan.reg" file to run it. Restart the computer and the error message should be gone.

VirusScan.zip Download Link

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
not sure

In reply to: Grandpaw, This Should Help

Grif, when I click on VirusScan.reg, I get a window asking if I want to add the info in C:\UNZIPPED\VIRUSSS~1\REG to the registry. Perhaps I ought to know to click "yes" but I'd prefer to get your input. Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
I mean C:\UNZIPPED\VIRUSS~1\VIRUSS~1.REG

In reply to: not sure

I left out one VIRUSS~1. grandpaw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Grandpaw, Select 'Yes', You Want To Change The Registry

In reply to: I mean C:\UNZIPPED\VIRUSS~1\VIRUSS~1.REG

Collapse -
Now I should remove VirusScan.reg, right?

In reply to: Grandpaw, This Should Help

In view of my track record, I'm skittish about doing such withoout an imprimatur. grandpaw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep, After Running It, It's Good To Delete VirusScan.re

In reply to: Now I should remove VirusScan.reg, right?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) If Things Are Running Right, Delete 'Backup.reg' Too

In reply to: Now I should remove VirusScan.reg, right?

Collapse -
Re: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd problem

Collapse -
Question, CursorCowboy

In reply to: Re: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vshinit.vxd problem

Something I should probably know but don't: I get to #3 and it says to backup the Vshinit key. I'm not sure what it means. Apparently, I do something before I do the deletion. Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
Re: Question, CursorCowboy

In reply to: Question, CursorCowboy

What is being stated that is if you delete the key, it is gone and the only way to recover it is either to use a valid restoration or should you have a mind to, click the key so it has focus and then click in the toolbar the word Registry, Export Registry File . ., and follow the prompts. Should you figure that the key should be returned, that file can be Merged simply by right-clicking and then selecting Merge from the context menu.

Suggested for your "[url=http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6618-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=33659&messageID=390640review as necessary.

Collapse -
Grandpaw, How To Back Up The Registry

In reply to: Question, CursorCowboy

For Win98 (Others are very similar):

Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "Regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, Click on Registry in the upper left corner of the window, choose "Export Registry File". When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
While someone, probably you, told me about this before,

In reply to: Grandpaw, How To Back Up The Registry

thanks for the reminder, because of which I backed up the registry before running VirusScan.reg. Though the backup turned out to be unnecessary in this case, it was good practice on what I should do if I have to deal with the registry.

Collapse -
Voila! Click and it's gone; thanks to Bob and CursorCowboy

Bob's suggestion seems a little easier so I did it and it worked fine. Now, that's something that doesn't happen to me very often. These small victories keep me in the fight. Thanks, grandpaw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Grandpaw, Good Job and Glad We Could Help !

In reply to: Voila! Click and it's gone; thanks to Bob and CursorCowboy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.