Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

C:\ Prompt help

by Katea9tails / April 15, 2005 2:42 AM PDT

I have had trouble with my computer being ever so slow and kicking off the internet. I bought more ram memory because I knew it was getting full and plan to send a day putting several files on Disk to free space but haven't had time - also figured there were some viruses. Could not download the aol virus protecton because of space - so I bought the memory. I loaded it and upgraded to 9.0 AOL and downloaded the virus protection. (some times it would scan others it would say not installed properly) I had tried to remove some of my files as well. Now the only thing it will do is come up to the c:\prompt I have some windows ME on but it is mostly Windows 95 - I put what I thought was the install disk and it will run a diagnostics on it and say all is well but will not start when I reboot. I have read everything on here for answers and ran scanreg and it has delcared clean and went to registry before trouble but still I get to the prompt and can find the magic key to open it. I am not very computer tech smart - I know few of the terms and only know that the memory was ram because the package said so. Is there hope?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C:\ Prompt help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C:\ Prompt help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: C-prompt help
by Kees Bakker / April 15, 2005 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: C:\ Prompt help

Katea9tails,

RAM and disk space are totally unrelated. So it's a mystery why you could install aol9.0 and antivirus after adding ram.

It's very uncommon, and I would definitely say dangerous for the health of your system, to have "mostly Windows 95 and some Windows ME". These OS'es weren't designed to be mixed up.

I'm inclined to say that the best thing to do is to format your hard disk (throwing away everything that's on it) and do a fresh install of Windows and all applications. That would cure both the full disk and the slowness and being kicked off Internet and undo any virus damage as bonus. Do you have a boot diskette and a OS CD? Which OS? Or maybe a recovery CD that came with the computer? Did you ever reinstall Windows?

Before doing this (with additional help from this forum, maybe) you can try to get Windows up more or less. Please tell current RAM and available space on disk. Simply type chkdsk c: (+ enter) at the c:-prompt (possibly, but I don't think so c:\windows\command\chkdsk c: ) and post back what it tells. I would advice to have at least 50 Mb free space on the disk to run Windows.

Unless you're good in MS-DOS and knowledgeable about what's on your system, I wouldn't do too much disc cleaning in MS-DOS. Only try to delete everything in c:\windows\temp by entering del c:\windows\temp\*.* (answer yes).

After those, tell exactly what happens if you type win to start windows. If you can get Windows up and running, you can use Explorer to delete much more files. Post again for advice on cleaning up your system.

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
C Prompt help
by Katea9tails / April 15, 2005 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: C-prompt help

It came with Windows 95, but a few years back I had to load ME to install the CD burner. I thought that it was all ME now but discovered recently that it shows Windows 95 when coming on - I didn't use the computer at home much because I had one at work I used after hours (it was bigger, better, faster) So when I started using the home one again I noticed this. I do have the ME disk and I have a disk but I am not sure it is the install of 95 it came with the Acer Aspire computer (I can't remember it says library something on it) I will check all this out tonight and reply when I get to another computer that works.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!