Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

C-Nets - positively glowing review of Vonage - huh?

I am miffed by the scope of your "review."

I have found scores and scores of complaints about
Vonage from current and recent past customers and
am wondering WHY you give them such a good
write-up???

I am trying to find a VoiP provider. I am so
confused by all the hype out here and the
seemingly contrary reviews by magazines and sites
that I've trusted in the past... There are just
so many complaints about Vonage, how can I trust
your review? Why is your review so glowing when
there are so many people who use the service
every single day screaming for help? There are
those who are saying that they had NO problems
signing up, but that the GETTING tech support or
customer service is a nightmare?

Please respond.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C-Nets - positively glowing review of Vonage - huh?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C-Nets - positively glowing review of Vonage - huh?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try SunRocket instead of Vonage

In reply to: C-Nets - positively glowing review of Vonage - huh?

Have a look at Sunrocket, they less expensive and better, I think. I signed up for 1 year of service for $199.00 of course you pay monthly for $24.95 (significant savings for the annual plan). They gave me all the equipment I need including a Uniden expandable phone system with two handsets (expandable to four). This also got me unlimited local and long distance, 2 extra phone numbers, Voice mail that you can check online (with email notification too) and so far their customer service has been great. They even rebated me a month of service when they took longer than expected to port my current number over to their service. This company shouts on their website that they are really committed to the customer, and so far in my opinion, they really are.

www.sunrocket.com

Collapse -
Great features for less...

In reply to: Try SunRocket instead of Vonage

I have just signed up for this service. Logged into their website, looks really great with easy to manage interface, speed dial, voicemail setup, call features like call blocking, call forwarding etc. Good customer support too.

I am going to disconnect my Verizon, where I pay $30/month for very basic service.

I used "5623921165" Promotion Code to receive 2 Uniden phones for free, which is I think $70-80 worth.

Collapse -
SunRocket is a great deal!!

In reply to: Try SunRocket instead of Vonage

For a personal account of my SunRocket experience, go to:

http://home.comcast.net/~bseitzinger3/SunRocketPromotion.HTM L

Click on a SunRocket banner and sign up today. You cannot find a better deal for internet phone service. The features are amazing. I've had a very positive experience with them overall and I know you will too. Enjoy!!!!

Collapse -
SunRocket has my praise

In reply to: SunRocket is a great deal!!

I signed up for this service to get the following:

$199/year..$16.60/mo
unlimited calling
two free phones
free hookup to high-speed internet
MANY features with phone
second line

You want to order this service risk free. Test it out. If you like it, keep your current number by switching to SunRocket. Then cancel your current providor and save money while getting better features.

Please enter this referal number when ordering your service: 4845651224.

http://www.sunrocket.com/index.html

Collapse -
That's been my provider for about a year now..

In reply to: SunRocket has my praise

I got rid of Verizon last year and went VOIP w/Sunrocket. They've had some outtages here and there but overall satisfied. Their customer support is not that great but for the price you can't go wrong.

I laugh at those Vonage commercials, yeah you're stupid to pay $24.95 + taxes for Vonage!

Collapse -
Vonage

I've been with Vonage almost a year. I have no complaints. Their service has been excellent.
My advice is to check out any potential service provider with other customers in your area. I get the impression that the level of service and or problems, is related to your location. I have numerous friends and family members who use Vonage in this area, and all are very pleased with the service provided. Like you I see posts in these forums from other users who seem to have many issues. If your friends and neighbors are satisfied with a particular service, chances are that it will also work nicely for you.
Hope this will help.

Collapse -
Vonage service

The complaints people seem to make are twofold: poor customer service and long delays in porting numbers.

I began using Vonage four months ago after a friend emphatically recommended them. Their voice quality is great. Their email support is poor (read: outsourced). Each time I call their customer service I get an english speaker who gives me an answer after a short hold (excellent phone support compared to others). More importantly, I have never had a problem that put their tech support to the test (my questions were just inquiries).

I signed up for a brand new number, but as for the number switching delays: two friends who have switched have been waiting for 2 to 3 weeks. I would be more inclined to blame Verizon than Vonage. What self-respecting company would grease the wheels of their own demise?

In short, I think complaints against Vonage are overblown.

Collapse -
Vonage Problems

In reply to: Vonage service

I don't believe complaints about Vonage are overblown. I have waited since April 15, 2005 for my number to be transfered. When I call Vonage I have connected with very rude people who don't want to hear about a problem. Yes - phone number tranfers can have many players adding to the delays - then new laws must be passed to eliminate these delays. I am paying for 2 phone bills while waiting - so money may not be an issue with you but it certainly is with me. Vonage justifies their billing since they have given me a "virtual" number. I asked one person I spoke with in customer service if they thought I would give this virtual number to my friends, family, banks, doctors, employers, etc. his suggestion was to have 1 phone on SBC's line to recieve calls and another phone connected with Vonage for outgoing calls. So - complaints against Vonage are overblown? I don't think so

Collapse -
More problems with number transfer.

In reply to: Vonage Problems

I'm afraid that there are definite problems with Vonage's number transfer procedure. My own experience is such that I could not recommend them to anyone who wishes to keep their land-line number. I've had only a few minor and acceptable problems with the actual service but one of the reasons for using Vonage was that I could keep my existing number and reduce costs. So far I still my land-line costs (which have to continue until my number is ported) and now have Vonage costs on top of that.

In my case I put through a request to transfer my current land-line number on April 24, 2005 and was notified that a request had been sent to my land-line provider. After hearing nothing for more that 30 days (more than the 20 business days) I called the Vonage service department the result of which a second request was submitted (supposedly) sent to my land-line provider. About a week ago I called the Vonage service department and requested that a supervisor call me and I was assured that one would.

Having heard from no one and failing to have my number been transferred I called my land-line provider who assured me that nothing existed that would prevent the transfer but that they had no record of a request to transfer my number. I, again, contacted Vonage with with that additional information and requested that a supervisor contact me and that someone take responsibility to to resolve the issue. Again no results have been forthcoming; no call from a supervisor, no reassuring email, ... nada!

So, April 24, 2005 the request was started and it's now July 5, 2005 and still no results.

Collapse -
No problem transfering number for me...

In reply to: More problems with number transfer.

Just wanted to put a positive note in here amongst all the negative.

I signed up for Vonage service on August 3rd. On the 5th I received an email from Vonage stating that I needed to remove the carrier freeze on my old landline account so that they could begin the process.

By the 17th I had my old landline number successfully working on my Vonage line. That evening the old landline was finally disconnected.

So, not sure why some take longer than others, but there is definetely some cases where it takes less than the 20 days Vonage states on their site.

Collapse -
Vonage customer service hell

I was a happy vonage customer for about six months, until I could suddenly not get a dial tone. Repeated, lengthy and frustrating calls to technical support provided no resolution, so I finally canceled my service (or, non-service, in this case). I first got an email that I would have 14 days in which to return the router or I would be charged. This was followed IMMEDIATELY with an email saying that my account had already been charged, but I might get a refund after the router was received back. Meanwhile, I began the process of trying to get credit for my six weeks of non-service. I have now, over eight days, spoken to eight people and written five emails. I can get no-where. My last email response turned down my request saying that they did not refund for ''non-use''. The implication is that I CHOSE to not use the service; there was no acknowledgement that I was UNABLE to use the service. Also, although they charged me immediately for the router, and I have confirmation through express tracking that they have received it back, they say it will take them up to a week to credit my account. I will no longer recommend vonage to anyone!!!!

Collapse -
Your not alone!!

In reply to: Vonage customer service hell

Do not use Vonage. The same thing happened to me but only after 3 months of server. Suddenly one day no service. Called then and after 3 phone calls and 4 hours of wasted time they determined that it was faulty equipment and sent us a new router at "no Charge" be ware because at Vonage no charge means that they are going to charge you for that 3 times and then when you cancel your account they are going to charge you again.

We called to cancel the account and they offered 3 months to stay. We proceed to let them know that we wanted to proceed with the cancellation and would expect 3 months credit to our card. Long story short and a huge explanation on customer server they credited the account back with 6 weeks for the problems we experienced.

I do have to say the level 1 techs are in some cases better then the supervisors they have working.

The account was cancelled in May and today is Ju,ly 20th and they are still charging my credit card.

When I cancelled the account I took the name of the rep that had given the credit in case they tried to take it back, which they did and when confronted with the name they stated that they have over 800 employees. Total lack of customer service.

They refused to remove the credit card from the account and stated if they make a charge again to dispute it with your credit card company!!!

Overall there is a lag when on certain phones and reception is sparatic at best. If you have children, for saftey purposes please stay with your current provider as Vonage is unreliable and when they say they will over night something they mean it will arrive possibly in 4 business days and they will charge you 3 times for the same item.

Collapse -
STAY AWAY FROM VONAGE

I recently signed up with the Vonage broadband telephone service. After receiving the required equipment I installed the phone adapter and had it running in 15 minutes. The new equipment worked for about 24 hours and then malfunctioned or died. I asked them to send a new adapter after speaking with a technician. He thought it was the phone I was using. So, I grabbed another phone to make him believe that it was the adapter not the phone. After reluctantly agreeing the tech said it would be sent next day air. Two days passed and no arrival of the new adapter. I called the company again and asked where was my new equipment. The rep blamed the delivery company (DHL)and said it hadn't been sent. Plus, I was billed $100 for the new adapter. After talking with rep for an hour, she said I would be credited for the charge. I did a few days later, but still didn't receive the adapter. Because of the dim-witted service I then cancelled it and asked them to cancel my Line Number Portability(LNP) transfer. They said it would be cancelled and the number would not be transferred. Eight days later my land phone stop working. I called my carrier(Sage Telecom) and they said it had been transferred to Vonage. I called Vonage and they said there was nothing they could do. I lost my service and my phone number. I'm still waiting to get a credit from Vonage for the first months service and the dead modem. Which I sent back and they received on Aug 31st via UPS, it?s now the 6th and still hasn?t been processed. Since my old number was lost I had to re-establish my service with SBC and pay a $47 connection fee. So, I'm out $47, shipping costs and my old number plus I?m still waiting to be credited by Vonage for their equipment.

Collapse -
SAY NO TO VONAGE!!!

As I do a little research, that I should have done beforehand, I find I am not alone in my Vonage NIGHTMARE! Complaints of poor customer service, long wait times, unsettled issues, bad service, bad devices etc, have all been my experience as well. Now they refuse to give me the refunds they said they would credit to me. The service is cancelled now, or so I hope, according to what I have read in other complaints. I will continue to complain wherever I can until I get my issues resolved to my satisfaction. I advise others to do the same. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Collapse -
The TRUTH about VoIP

The truth is, all VoIP providers have their problems. The technology is relatively new and therefore has it's clitches. Also, more and more consumers are jumping into VoIP phones and the phone service companies are having a hard time keeping up. My only experience has been with SunRocket. I dropped my Verizon plan and POTS line totally. I can tell you that over the past several months we have experienced a few outages. These presented minor inconveniences since we have cell phones for backup. I have a couple of suggestions if you are considering going to internet phone service:
1. Do NOT jump solely into VoIP if you are running a home-based business and rely on your phone for your income. Do NOT try to use VoIP as your sole business phone. Some use it to make outgoing calls only and go with a lower cost POTS plan to receive calls. We run a SMALL business from home and having the second number with SunRocket let's us identify business calls from personal so it works out nicely for us. But again, it's a small business not our main income source.
2. Do NOT try to go to VoIP if your ISP is not reliable. Your VoIP service is only as good as your internet provider. I have Comcast cable and have had minimal problems or outages over the past ten years.
3. If you are ready to experience a good VoIP company with great features and at a really good price, try SunRocket. Pay $199 for the year. Get the phone gizmo and free phones with the annual contract. If you are not satisfied get your money back and keep the free phones. Once you are comfortable with SunRocket's service, drop your landline and use cell phones for backup if you ever have a problem. I will save over $700 this year on phone service. Go to:

http://home.comcast.net/~bseitzinger3/SunRocketPromotion.HTML

Click on a SunRocket banner and sign up today. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain if you find yourself a satisfied customer like I am. Enjoy the service and the savings.

Collapse -
Vonage works great for me!

We have had only one problem when we first setup vonage, The box worked about 4 weeks then went dead. Vonage overnighted a replacement and all has been great since. Did notice a little noise the first couple of weeks but after the box was replaced no problems at all. Really love the service, wife was very reluctant at first now she is telling others how cool it is. (she gets to talk with her sister 8 states away all the time now).

Do have patience in what ever choice you make and know everybody is on a learning curve. If you want to make sure you won't ever have a problem wait 15 years then give it a go. When I got my first "portabe" cell phone in 82 I needed a truck to carry it around. Right now we are just on the bleeding edge of VoIP and sometimes you bleed a little.
Jim

Collapse -
I am happy with Vonage

Vonage was my 3rd try at VOIP service and it has performed flawlessly for me. Considering nightmares I had with the other two I am happy!
New tech and glitches go together; I operate a small business with my VOIP line. Set service so both cell phone and office phone ring with incoming calls. This way should internet connection ever be down my business calls are not lost.
An 800 number at 3.5 cents per minute is attactive. I am also selling Internationally and cheap rates make phone support for those customers practical.

Ken

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!