Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

C MEDIA AC97 ADUIO DEVICE

by blonde79 / May 20, 2006 5:25 PM PDT

Beginning of May I got a prompt to upgrade my C Media AC97 from Microsoft and as usual I upgrade everything when prompted. Only last week no sound was not coming out and I thought I had done something wrong. I tracked it back by checking my backups and it turned out that the new download had a problem. Anyone experienced this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C MEDIA AC97 ADUIO DEVICE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C MEDIA AC97 ADUIO DEVICE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a lesson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2006 10:17 PM PDT

Microsoft didn't make your PC and may supply an incorrect driver. If you read forums and such, the repeating advice is to not accpept drivers from Microsoft.

Bob

Collapse -
ref sound card upgrade
by maccasa / October 4, 2006 8:31 PM PDT

yep - I had excatly the same probelm - opld driver was 5.10.3800 worked fine. latest is 5.12.1.51 and tta didnt work when dwnloaded from msn. I rolled back the driver to the old version and it works fne again

Collapse -
C_Media AC97 Audio Device, Driver Version: 5.12.1.51. Same
by postebgy / December 26, 2006 6:17 PM PST

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have had same difficulty, and attempted to look into, just probing to get into,to access,(Registration problem) but at other site recognizing it.... as found at an other atempt, the C-Media AC97 Audio Device, Driver Version: 5.12.1.51 of 22/06/2006 seems on one atempt given away, it is not recognized by Microsoft. But an other just opposite. Seems Microsoft need to patch it up, and written on these an email to them todat, than looked about similar problem, mine gives CODE 10 as reason not connecting. Its meaning I do not know. How you solved your problem? Regards: Edmund

Collapse -
I usually solve it but..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2006 12:20 AM PST

I need make/model of the host PC. Often I find the owner didn't install the motherboard chipset drivers, but that's another story.

Bob

Collapse -
C-Media AC97 Audio Device.
by postebgy / December 27, 2006 3:02 PM PST

Thanks, the Athlon 2600 dual layer. and Made by DSE Samurai 2600XP-home CPU. If you atempt to look up Cick Sith Electronics - New Zealand, (Google), all original what was at start. I upgraded to 1.25 GB DDR, also to 360GB hard drive (sebmented into 3 160 + 100 = 100 GB Hard drives, Windows XP SP2 on 160 GB hard drive. Addred 512 DDR graphics card and DVD read/write with CD same capability.
The work was done by qualified technician, and only TV card was a bit problem. (Network and witeless connection disabled, and use broadband on line.
The only what is the sound lost, and as found out quite common with C-Media AC97 Audio Device, and found out also very common if upgrading it with Microsoft. As I atempted to find out trying to connect, one occasion accepted Microsoft, other approach recejted it after installed upgrade to it. I concluder, some patch up need by Microsoft. I written an email to help dest of Microsoft, and see what will be the reactin, mentioning my finding. Likely the device need two points to get confirmation it is compatible with Microsoft, and it was only at one point done that.

Collapse -
Sadly, while a valient attempt at make and model...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2006 10:34 PM PST

It's not the make and model of the mainboard DSE used in the machine. There is NO generic driver for this sound chip that we can rely on so we get forced to find the make/model of the mainboard using what driver CD that came with the system, any documentation on the mainboard or load up BELARC ADVISOR or EVEREST (see google.com) to see if said software will identify the mainboard's maker and chipset.

Good try, but not enough for me to go find the motherboard and sound drivers (you'll need both.)

As to Microsoft and drivers. Sorry, no, they don't do that.

bob

Collapse -
Well had a ook at Belrac Advisor, but can not attache it so,
by postebgy / December 29, 2006 1:23 AM PST

Operating System: Windows XP home edition SP2. Processor: 1.90 GHz AMD Athlon XP. 128 KB primary memory cache. 512 KB secondary memory cache. Main Circuit Board: Micro-Star International Co Ltd MS-6570. Buc Clock: 166 MHz. BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/02/2004. Now driver a bit uncertain, as CD have: NForce Platform Drivers & Utilities and some old Adobe, PC alert, PC cilin Usefu website on it.... if you asked this. Except under drivers: 360 GB HDDcapacity, 340 GB HDD free space; Local Drive volumes; C:(NTFS on drive 0) 160GB 142 GB free. D: (NTFS on drive 1) 105 GB 104 GB free. J: (NTFS on drive 1) 94 GB 94GB free. I assume they are partitioned, and can be instaled someting Linux on one of them, but will it cause difficulties later? Probably. Have a number of other drives like CD/DVD, also associated with USB 1 and 2 (two of each) and remark Healthy at end. Multimedia: C-Media AC97 Audio Device. Fly TV Platinum33. Philips WDM TV tuner (TDA8275). Memory Modules: Slot AO has 512 MB. Slot A! has 256 MB. Slot A2 has 512 MB. Wander what CPU and also RAM optimizer freeware could be used, I have good bit on PC.... just to make it speed up, it is on broadband (not really so speedy.) Any more data required?

Collapse -
See "System Drivers" at supplied link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2006 2:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Had some difficulties....
by postebgy / December 29, 2006 4:59 AM PST

Seems there is nowhere thr recommended on list (Belrac). Internet Explorer 7 was displaying no connection atc, done check up atc. Connection was there, but refused, nevergless was donloaded to Download Express and from there managed it. No luck, no sound there. Seems C-Media AC97 Audio Device just needing the driver (but not Nividia one; wish to get genuine own. Still no sound, what a blessed state. Now fidling with it 4th day. Luck I am patient, and take it as is..... now how to get this fellow moving on my PC, to drive the driver into it. (Probably at Microsoft if they not on HOLIDAY, trying to figure it out too.... But I am not the only one as looked about with same code 10 problem. Microsoft giverh, wander they may have long silence there if figure it out.... or bussy men? I waiting their reply.... (maybe arrive few weeks later.... if arrives.)

Collapse -
I'm a little confused.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2006 6:45 AM PST

Weren't we looking for some AC'97 audio driver for this MSI board?

How did IE 7 get into this picture?

Sorry, you lost me here. In closing, I don't suggest IE 7 at this time. Seems to create troubles for some.

Bob

Collapse -
Me too bit confused now... was a wild goose chace...
by postebgy / December 29, 2006 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: I'm a little confused.

well seems the site given not matched the required, so probably just stick to C-Media AC97 Audio Device. It is talkative like a fish. Silence certainly not gold as some says. As Looked up: C-Media AC97 Audio Device, Manucacturer: C-Media, Location: PCI bus 0, Device 6, Function ). Device status: This device can not start. (Code 10). Earlier said seems the device taken into account others had same trouble, as I looked about, can be some inherent difficulty there. (I am not the type: "In pub two batchelors, divorced taked, came up cooking, one said, it is so difficult, each recepy start with unsurmauntable hurdl. Other reply: I know each starts with, take a clean dish.")

Collapse -
The question is: how make it to talk again: C-Media
by postebgy / December 30, 2006 8:02 PM PST

Wander how can put any sound into recently downloaded new, to replace old.
The improved C-media AC97 Audio Device its new version SILENT. Old version gone, I delated it as sugested.
Any suggestions there?

Collapse -
Sorry, I was stumped by your IE7 reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2006 12:09 AM PST

It didn't jive with the other replies.

Silence but no issues in device manager usually are muted sound card, volume levels or incorrect speaker selection or where it's plugged in. These items I usually don't mention.

Then again, the sound chip could be dead. For that we disable the onboard sound and install a sound card...

Bob

Collapse -
Now situation is this:
by postebgy / December 31, 2006 12:55 PM PST

somehow automatically comes up: found C-Media AC97 Audio Device as download vizard comes up, try to down load, but not taking me to any line connection even I clicked that option, and as installing half ways saying: insert C-media AC97 Audio Device CD after it stopping half way, and asking to locate missing file: "cmuda.sys" on drive H. Nothing on drive H. icture is seems comes up: after downloading windows media player 11, sound into and and out simply dead. In sound setting/option all gray, non existent. Now seems as attempted to download C-media AC97 Audio Device (and seems as found on internet/Google/ I am not the only one with sound troubles, you try typing into Google: C-Media AC97 Audio Device download and see results. Also seems there is something else. AVG worked perfectly but as atempted to instal new version of www.Safety.live.com Windows flagship because older simply did not work, the new outfit demanded to uninstal AVG (before there was no such demand). Probably something else brewing here, may be worth to consider, turf war pushing out competitors, and selling own devises, to gain market share????
Stay with this problem, this sound problem, if not there other ones too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.