Computer Help forum

General discussion

C:\ is not accessable...

Hi

My problem is this:
I recently got this laptop from work, who has been used by many before me, so it had 6 users on it. So I deleted everybody exept one, who I changed into mine. What came out of that, was that now I cant delete anything, save anything nor install anything. Its extremly anoying!!

Can anybody please help me?

leiv
norway

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C:\ is not accessable...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C:\ is not accessable...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You probably have chosen a wrong User account to keep...

In reply to: C:\ is not accessable...

...one which do not have administrative privileges. Since you just got the computer, create your own account.

Go into safe mode and boot up with the account named ''Administrator'', create an account with admin privileges, and build up that account for your use.

Alternatively, at the welcome screen, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del twice for the Administrator. (In both cases hope that the Admin account is not password protected.)

Collapse -
hmm..

In reply to: You probably have chosen a wrong User account to keep...

shall I delete "my" previous account then? and will all those programs saved/installed on this account be deleted?
thanx for your reply Happy

I hope this will work

leiv

Collapse -
crap...

In reply to: You probably have chosen a wrong User account to keep...

the administrator profile had a password....what can i do now?

Collapse -
It's not...

In reply to: crap...

nice to have two threads covering the same topic in the same forum..those who want to help have to make assumptions when you don't provide enough information. Go to where you got the laptop from and ask there for the administrator password. If you can't get it there you may just have to reload windows...if you have the CD. There may be hacker programs to get around this problem as well.
Maybe someone else here knows of one. I don't

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
You can...

In reply to: crap...

...ask what the password is. Also get the Recovery disks and/or the WinXP disk if available.

Installed programs will be left intact if you delete your account - only the "profile" of the account is lost, if that account is deleted (e.g. desktop appearance, themes,configurations, etc.). However, note that if you do not have the licence to the installed programs, you should delete the programs, unless they are free.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!