Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

c.exe, blue screen of death, computer will no longer boot

by NiteFever11 / January 10, 2010 2:49 AM PST

so i was just browsing around the net, sites i usually frequent, nothing out of the ordinary, then all of a sudden one of those windows app error boxes pops up "c.exe has encountered and error and must be shut down" at first i was wary and didnt click "DONT SEND" as i usually do. i tried to google it, and i even closed it using my task manager, but it popped up again. i started to run my spybot S&D... then i did something stupid and pressed DONT SEND on the little box.

a couple mins later i got the blue screen of death. i manually powered off my PC using the HARD SWITCH on the back. then tried to boot it back up. it gets as far as the Windows Xp screen (the black one with the loading bar) but then the screen flashes, my computer beeps and it restarts again all by itself.

when given the option i tried to boot in SAFE mode but that also fails.

im using my labtop to write this, if anyone has some advice to get my Desktop up and running again i would be very thankful.

Mike.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: c.exe, blue screen of death, computer will no longer boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: c.exe, blue screen of death, computer will no longer boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
update!
by NiteFever11 / January 10, 2010 4:36 AM PST

well, i think i have narrowed the issue a bit. luckily my friend had installed a 2nd OS on a different HDD and i was able to boot up vista. so it seems that the problem lies with the XP install on the other HDD. but i know its not the HDD itself as i can still see and access the files on it.

running trend micro house call on it now.

Collapse -
RE: BSOD
by C_Jones / January 10, 2010 4:41 AM PST

As your computer is booting up keep pressing F8 until you get the screen where Safe Mode is. Scroll down click on "Disable automatic restart". Next time your computer restarts, look at the info under "Technical Information". Post back with that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.