Desktops forum

General discussion

"C" Drive losing space.

by leesa246 / August 7, 2008 5:20 AM PDT

Okay, here are my specs:

Sony Vaio Desktop Model RX-58? (2004)
Microsoft XP SP2 Media Center Edt.
Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

C Drive has max 13.9 GB of space, 313 MB left.
Seperate, built in, D drive has max 166 GB, 101 GB left.

Okay, my issue is that my C drive always drops down below 100mb of free space, which can be expected depending on what I'm doing. However, I don't understand how it does it for the most simplest of tasks, while it wont do it for more difficult ones (such as running Adobe Photoshop CS). I have transfered many programs to my D drive and keep only the basics that came with the computer on my C drive.

Is there any way for me to fix this low-disk space. Personally, I think a max of 13.9 GB is way too small to start out with. I just want to stop constantly trying to find things to delete, because there is nothing left to delete!

I have stopped any programs that are not necessary for startup via msconfig, and i've used Spybot to check and see if there was any noticable virus-based issues going on. I just need some help!

Thanks!

-Lisa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "C" Drive losing space.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "C" Drive losing space.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get a bigger hard drive. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 7, 2008 12:00 PM PDT

is the simplest answer. The new drive will come with cloning software that will make an exact copy of the full drive. After cloning, replace the full drive.

Remove the D: drive and insert the new drive there and run the cloning software. After the C: drive has been copied to the new drive, remove the old drive and set the new drive as the boot drive. Put the old D: drive back.

Done.

Collapse -
Agreed
by leesa246 / August 19, 2008 1:23 AM PDT

Im assuming the issue was always because sony skipped out on putting a descent sized C drive in.
I'll look into this because it sounds like the easiest way to fix the problem the fastest...
However, i'll have one of my friends do it because i'll probably screw it up and make it worse. Silly

Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) What do you put on D: ?
by VAPCMD / August 7, 2008 1:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
--
by leesa246 / August 19, 2008 1:18 AM PDT

The majority of space on Drive D is used up by Pictures, because I am pretty into photography. I have about 15,000 pictures which = about 40 gb of harddrive. The rest is programs, some pretty big like most of the Adobe's, and a few games, and the rest of my miscellaneous programs which only account for not even 20 gb.

Collapse -
Got those PICs backed up to DVDs ???
by VAPCMD / August 19, 2008 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: --

A second partition on a hard disk drive is not a safe place to store the only copies of your favorite PICs.

With disk space as inexpensive as it is now .. adding another drive internally is easy and very hard to resist.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?