Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

C drive is full and not sure why...

by Masterdutch420 / August 12, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

My comp is about 5 years old and has 3 drives, the C drive is 17, D drive is 100 and other is 65gig. I've always saved, downloaded and installed eveything on the other 2 drives but my C drive some how only have abot 700Mbs free. I've gone through all the basic steps, suck as remove programs, disc clean up, virus, adware, spyware scan and tried to defrag but since I only have 4% free it doesn't finish. I've even gone through folder by folder looking for things to delete and have no clue whats taking up all the space...my comp runs extremely slow because of the very limited space on the C drive and I despretly need some help PLEASE.........:(

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C drive is full and not sure why...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C drive is full and not sure why...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My Documents Folder
by RCF_Rose / August 12, 2010 4:09 PM PDT

Move your My Documents folder to the drive with 100GB. Here is how to do it:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_move_my_documents.htm

Also look in your Windows folder, you can delete all the $NtUinstallKBXXXXXXX$ (the Xs represent arbitrary numbers) files EXCEPT the $hf_mig$, leave that one. These files refer to Windows updates (these files are used to uninstall any update that messes up your PC) if your PC is running OK you can delete all those files.

@
\)/
Rose

Collapse -
Uninstall updates on Windows Vista
by BobbyO / August 17, 2010 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: My Documents Folder

I am trying to make an Acer Aspire 5630 run faster - it seem so have seriously bogged down in speed. I have tried various methods to increase the speed and keep it from freezing up (and I am gtting a new batter because the abtery life is non-existent.

Question: Where do I find the uninstall files that come with Windows updates like in the Windows file on the XP?

There are none under the Windows in Vista (like there were on another computer that has Windows XP) and I have had updates since 2007.

Collapse -
Uninstall updates on Windows Vista
by RCF_Rose / August 17, 2010 1:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
Windows Vista Uninstall
by BobbyO / August 17, 2010 1:54 PM PDT

Can I delete all the updates liek in Windows XP?

I note for Windows XP it was easy to see which ones to Delete because of the uninstall in the file names - in Vista it does not look so easy - so is the rule of thumb that if the update is successful, and the computer is running fine, I can delete the update file?

I assume that whatever was in the update file has now been integrated into my computer and the transport file (the update file) is no longer needed?

Thank you.

Collapse -
Can I delete all the updates liek in Windows XP?
by RCF_Rose / August 17, 2010 3:32 PM PDT

I don't have Vista and have never gone over it to any extent, I really can't answer your question with any certainty. Right click a file and see if delete is an option. Also before you do anything check the sizes of the files, they may not even be large enough to worry about.

You may want to post your question in the Vista Forum for a more informed answer.

http://forums.cnet.com/windows-vista-forum/

@
\)/
Rose

Collapse -
Thank you
by BobbyO / August 18, 2010 1:48 AM PDT

Thank you. I will try the Vista forum.

Collapse -
Some reading
by RCF_Rose / August 17, 2010 3:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
My C drive is full
by dbhatnager / July 11, 2012 7:40 AM PDT
In reply to: My Documents Folder

As advised by you I have moved My Documents folder to E drive and also deleted $NtUinstallxxxxxx$ files but problem still exists.Now what to do?

Collapse -
As advised by?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 11, 2012 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: My C drive is full

It is never a good idea to follow someone's advice and guidance when they are giving that help to someone else. It is rare indeed to find two systems exactly the same.

Why would you do that?

May be you should now start your own discussion and give full details about your problem, including details about your computer, (already requested), any error messages, and what you have tried already.

I will lock this thread so you can concentrate on your own.

Mark

Collapse -
The other suggestions are useful
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 9:46 PM PDT

but before you consider those, try removing all of the System Restore backup files.

There's two ways to do this, the safe way and the 'not so safe' way.

The safe way; Go back to Disk Cleanup and after the 'Check compressed files' check, click the "More options" tab. Here you can delete all but the latest restore point. This retains the latest System restore point backup files and frees up hard disk space.

The 'not so safe' way; If you are confident your system is otherwise running well, you can remove all the System Restore backup files, leaving no restore points available. Goto Start > Control Panel > System then the System Restore tab. Disable System Restore, click Apply, then OK. Return here then re-enable System Restore. You may want to create a new System Restore point immediately.

Does that help?

Mark

Collapse -
already tried.....
by Masterdutch420 / August 13, 2010 4:01 AM PDT

Hey Mark, I did actually try that before posting as well, it didn't seem to help either. I'ma try Rose's idea about moving the documents folder and deleting files when I get home tonight. Thanks anyway though.

Collapse -
Check size
by RCF_Rose / August 13, 2010 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: already tried.....

Also make sure you have room on the 100GB drive for the My Documents folder, it can be quite large. Mine is a bit over 8GB. If you save and create a lot of videos and pictures yours may be a lot larger.

@
\)/
Rose

Collapse -
Full HDD
by Goldenmouth / August 13, 2010 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Check size
Collapse -
space ?
by Agamaras / August 13, 2010 7:34 PM PDT

I use a program called Treesize, it helps me keep track of all my disc space and track down those hard to find files that take up space.
Make sure you have show hidden files checked, because you wont see those if not and maybe one of those is what you are looking for.

Collapse -
Try CCleaner from Piriform
by hlester / August 14, 2010 9:07 AM PDT

This may or may not affect your specific issue, but....

My 5-year old laptop (XP Pro) with its 60GB drive had some 40 GB of stuff on it. I downloaded CCleaner and ran it. It took nearly three hours to complete! But in the end, the amount on the drive dropped to 27GB. Apparently the Windows "Disk Cleanup" and "delete temporary internet files" programs were ineffective in this regard. Now, CCleaner takes about 10 seconds to complete its work.

Collapse -
check your swap file size
by porsche10x / August 16, 2010 6:18 AM PDT

17 gig is not very big. Is it possible your swap file is eating up a lot of it? You might even want to move it to one of the larger drives.

Collapse -
Application Data Files
by james samuels / August 17, 2010 6:54 AM PDT

I recently freed up over 5gb just by going into the Application Data file in My Documents and deleting a single data file from the XnView file.Some applications keep a running data file of everytime and everything they have been used for, these files can become very large without you even knowing they exist.

Collapse -
Application Data
by Masterdutch420 / August 17, 2010 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Application Data Files

So I downloaded and ran WinDirStat and it turns out there are old AOL files in the Application Date totaling about 1.3 gigs. When I simply go into the folder I dont see the files and when I tried to remove them with Add/Remove Programs they were not found. What would be the safest way to remove these files. Its only 2 seperate folders with some contents.

Collapse -
Excellent instructions here
by RCF_Rose / August 17, 2010 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Application Data
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.