Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

C drive irrepairable

by motherm2 / June 17, 2005 9:29 PM PDT

I'm trying to install winxp home edition with service pack 2 on a computer that was running winme but apparently viruses from music downloads (grandkids)messed up royally. Since I cannot repair winme without a disk I've opted to go with winxp and I cannot get it to install. The message the c drive is corrupted and irrrepairable. Does this mean I can install a new hard drive and proceed or is there a way to format/fdisk which I have tried without success.
I'm using a second computer so I can access the internet and get help. The screwed up computer has:
Windows ME, 850 Meg AMD Duron, 128 kb praim mem cache,64 kb secondary mem cache, 10.23 gig usable hard drive, 112 meg mem,cd-rw rom, cdrom.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C drive irrepairable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C drive irrepairable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I might try...
by Michael Geist / June 17, 2005 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: C drive irrepairable

to improve those hardware specs a bit before installing XP. You will need at least 256mb of RAM for XP to run smoothly and the hard drive should be at least double the size you have now.

Read through the clean install procedure for XP, many will try to install from within the previous OS and get messed up.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Collapse -
c drive corrupt
by motherm2 / June 17, 2005 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: I might try...

Thanks, have tried both types of installs, upgrade which automatically is recommended and won't work and the clean install which is why I bought the version I did. Setup stops because it has determined that drive c is corrupted and cannot be repaired and sete cannot continue. So if I just install a larger hard drive and more memory do you think this will work?

Collapse -
If this is the only hardware problem>>>
by Michael Geist / June 17, 2005 11:13 PM PDT
In reply to: c drive corrupt

"drive c is corrupted and cannot be repaired and sete cannot continue."

then all should go well with the improvements.

You may try a repair of the hard drive using the drive makers disk utility software.

Collapse -
if this is the only hardware problem>>>
by motherm2 / June 18, 2005 4:23 AM PDT

Well, I probably look bald by now because I cannot get the killdisk to run because I cannot get a dos command. MSDOS won't cut it. And how can I get the system to boot from a floppy? Creating the bootdisk thru the killdisk doesn't get it to boot up thru A drive and doesn't allow me to copy to a cd. I notice also when the system boots up with ME that my SMART drive is disabled. Any idea why or how I can enable it not being able to access pure DOS? I'm just having a ball here and am out of Southern Comfort!

Collapse -
I just ran into this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2005 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: C drive irrepairable

Removing the partitions with XP's installer didn't resolve it. The hard drive maker's ZEROFILL feature wiped the drive (no fdisk or format is used in this procedure) and then XP installed fine.

The program KILLDISK (use google.com) may do the feat painlessly as well.

-> Remember the message is that the drive content is corrupt, it (to me) didn't call the drive defective.

Bob

Collapse -
c corrupt
by motherm2 / June 17, 2005 11:54 PM PDT

Thanks, will give killdisk a try since that message had me stumped on whether to install a new hard drive or try to overcome the problem. Clean install just doesn't cut it. Will let you know if I get thru it.

Collapse -
I just ran into this one.
by motherm2 / June 18, 2005 4:27 AM PDT

I cannot get the Killdisk to run after it creates a floppy from the zip download. The system won't bootup from a floppy as it is. How can I change that, if I can? I cannot access DOS only MSDOS and when I try to run the exe bringing up the A drive it still doesn't run. Would the SMART drive being disabled have anything to do with this (cannot access internet either)and notice the exes are also DOS based pgms.

Collapse -
Those .EXEs from bootdisk.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2005 4:30 AM PDT

Many of them require us to read the instructions. For instance Win98se.exe is not copied to a diskette but we run it and it makes the boot disk. After that we can delete scandisk.* or such to make room for killdisk.

Minor command line skills are required.

Bob

Collapse -
Booting from floppy
by El Alquimista / June 18, 2005 8:58 AM PDT

You say you can't boot from a floppy. Is your BIOS, by any chance, set not to boot from floppies, or not to do so if it boots from the HD?

BTW, MSDOS is "pure" DOS.

Frank

Collapse -
booting from floppy
by motherm2 / June 18, 2005 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Booting from floppy

I didn't set up the operating system so am not familiar with what is what with the bios and hesitate to change anything cause there's enough problems. As far as MSDOS being pure DOS...why do I get the message trying to run something in MSDOS that it is terminating because it must run in "PURE DOS"? Makes me sound like an idiot but that is what it says. And it's for a winme os. But thanks for your input.

Collapse -
Booting from floppy
by motherm2 / June 18, 2005 10:30 AM PDT

BTW MSDOS is run under windows and I am trying to format C drive which contains windows so need DOS not MSDOS.

Collapse -
DOS and booting from floppies
by El Alquimista / June 21, 2005 5:29 AM PDT

First, I would like to explain DOS, and then we will try to find the cause of your inability to boot from a floppy.

DOS = Disk Operating System

Almost all computers, up to and including mainframes, use a DOS. Among PC users, the term DOS has come to mean any of several operating systems available for PC type computers, primarily MS-DOS and those others compatible with it.

In the PC world, there has never been an operating system actually named just DOS, nor has there ever been an OS that I can find named PureDOS. I have been working with PCs since they first came out over 20 years ago, and I have never seen that term in any error message. In what message was that term used?

For the original PCs, made by IBM, there was PC-DOS, developed by Microsoft.
Later, as PC clones hit the market, Microsoft put out MS-DOS. It was virtually identical to PC-DOS except for some file names. Later there was DR-DOS (by Digital Research), FreeDOS (freedos.org), and others. These are all MS-DOS compliant, and any can be called DOS. They are all considered to be ?Pure? DOS, with MS-DOS possibly being the ?purest? because its pedigree traces directly back to the original.

The last of the free-standing versions of MS-DOS was MS-DOS 6.22. With the advent of Windows 95, Microsoft included many, but not all, of the DOS commands, and provided an entry to it under the name MSDOS Prompt. This became known as MS-DOS 7.0, but was not available outside of Windows.

In Windows ME, the real DOS was hidden, but it was still there if you knew how to access it. In Windows XP, there is nothing in this OS called DOS, or MSDOS. However, the file command.com, the core of DOS, is still there; and you access it from Command Prompt rather than from MSDOS Prompt. Many of the DOS functions still exist, but the way some operate has been changed, partly to accommodate the NTFS file system. For this reason, some do not consider this to be ?real DOS,? even though Windows itself is a DOS (disk operating system).

Please accept the fact that
DOS, or ?Real? DOS, or ?Pure? DOS = MSDOS, or PCDOS, or FreeDOS, et al.

Now, lets try to get to the bottom of your problem.

You can?t boot from a floppy. Is it just the Killdisk floppy, or can you not boot from any bootable floppy, such as the one you should have made from Windows when you first got it? If you cannot boot from any bootable floppy, your BIOS settings may not include floppies as bootable devices (perhaps setting the CD as a bootable device instead). Or, you may have a defective A drive. What message did you get when it wouldn?t boot?

If you can boot from other bootable floppies but not from the Killdisk floppy, then the latter must be defective. Two ways are provided to create a bootable Killdisk floppy. The first requires that you download a .zip file, and then extract killdisk.exe to a blank bootable floppy. The second requires you to download a .exe file and run it, specifying the target as a plain blank floppy. In either case, you must follow the directions exactly, as Bob pointed out earlier.

Since you mentioned a .zip download, I presume you were using the first of the two methods. This calls for a bootable floppy and, as people don?t usually have a stack of such lying around, you probably had to make it. How did you do this? Are you sure the system files got copied onto the floppy? Next, you had to extract the file killdisk.exe file from the zip file and add it, and only it, to the floppy. What program did you use to extract that file, and how did you put it on the floppy?

I made Killdisk floppies in both ways, and they both booted flawlessly. The one made with my bootable floppy naturally had MSDOS on it as that is the only DOS readily available to most people. On the one for which Killdisk created the boot sector, they installed a version of FreeDOS. This made absolutely no difference in bootability, as it shouldn?t have.

Please provide more details on exactly what was done and what messages you saw, then we may be able to diagnose the real problem.

Frank

Collapse -
DOS and booting from floppies
by motherm2 / June 21, 2005 8:51 AM PDT

Frank, Thanks for all you input but as I said before nothing would work. My C drive was corrupted and irrepairable. I read lots and lots of instructions but there always seemed to be a glitch in my particular problem that isn't noted. I did manage to get into the bios and change the boot sequence but still couldn't get anywhere. Many, many forums instructions were tried to no avail and with nothing to lose I deleted C drive. One forum said Western Digital utilities would work with any hard drive to fdisk and format. Not so. Other sites utilities also got me nowhere. Had to do some searching but found utilites that did work after the drive was deleted and then I was able to load win 98 and then onto win xp. I worked with IBM mainframes for 30 years but these little pc's just drive me crazy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.