Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

C Drive almost full

by 07clarkesm06 / January 6, 2010 11:32 PM PST

My computer has been running at the pace of a tortoise since summer now. I noticed my C Drive is almost full. I saw people saying about defragging so i tried that but it took 30 secs and nothing..

i dont have much music of files on here but i think i have got quite a lot of software and random ad ons of which i most likely dont use ut apparently cant delete as other things wont work...

what shall i try?? also the motor makes funny sounds. its about 2 and half years old...and it is on and used continuously everyday so is it just at the end of its life?

i have vista

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: C Drive almost full
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: C Drive almost full
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me offer the first thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: C Drive almost full

If this was my machine I'd
1. Use CCLEANER from download.com and without changing any settings, clean up.
2. Uninstall software I haven't used in 2 years.

That's usually enough to avoid upgrading the hard drive.
Bob

Collapse -
In addition
by Jimmy Greystone / January 7, 2010 12:27 AM PST

In addition to what Bob said, defragmenting simply shuffles files around, it doesn't do ANYTHING to create additional space. If you have, for the sake of easy numbers, 100 files that are each 100MB, then when you're done defragmenting you will still have 100 files taking up 100MB each.

The basic solution to your problem though, is that you need to delete some stuff to free up some space. If necessary, go out and buy an external hard drive to offload some stuff to.

Collapse -
Addition in addition.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: In addition

"We only lose what we don't backup."

It's become clear that external drives are not as reliable as internal drives so while you can put stuff out there at no time are they to be considered "storage" without the need for backup.
Bob

Collapse -
What is the drive C capacity and how much disk space is used
by VAPCMD / January 7, 2010 12:42 AM PST

Is there a D drive ...what's the capacity and how much disk space is used ?

I've seen cases where users have 400GB hard drives divided into two partitions....C: with 30GBs of disk space and D: with say 370GBs of sdisk space. Point is, drive C: could be full or almost full while D: could be completely empty.

Just trying to make sure we have complete info.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!