Linux forum

General discussion

Bypassing BIOS with linux and/or flashing it?

by Dawg Monitor / July 27, 2009 12:49 PM PDT

To whom is may concern, thanks if you can reply.

I have an old computer, Pentium II with luckily bit over 512MB of RAM, however its BIOS is very limited. About none of the HDDs I have cannot be detected, besides the 4GB one, by the BIOS.

So I've heard that Linux actually bypass the BIOS and can access the HDD, but is this really true? Does certain distributions has it or all of Linux have it? Also, if I were to install a HDD controller card onto an old computer, would it then detected larger HDD on the controller?

Also another question: whats the usual chance that flashing the BIOS would be successful? Does the floppies have to be exactly new or made for flashing? Would the Beta or second best BIOS update be
appropriate? And would finding old BIOS be hard to get?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bypassing BIOS with linux and/or flashing it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bypassing BIOS with linux and/or flashing it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hhm
by GODhack / July 27, 2009 4:00 PM PDT

Linux can start boot from floppy and then pass boot to hdd.
But if HDD is not showed in BIOS at all I do not think Linux can help then.

You should try to update BIOS. Consult in you motherboard company site.

Collapse -
You may not like the fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2009 8:59 PM PDT

While Linux has been seen to do that let me jump past all the things that are not working and share what I've done to get around this.

1. Connect the drive with USB 2.0, Firewire or on another controller.

That's it. We never use any of the motherboard's connections on dated hardware.
Bob

Collapse -
Controller Card, not so bad
by Dawg Monitor / July 28, 2009 3:23 AM PDT

The motherboard has a USB 1.1, and however, not successful in plugging in any USB device. I guess an controller card would work out than having to risky flash the BIOS (only supports up to 70GB anyway after).
Thanks anyways, John

Collapse -
About USB 1.1 and hard disk enclosures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2009 5:13 AM PDT

Hasn't worked with all cases I've encountered. And most of them claim USB 1.1 capability but the ugly truth is they likely are lying.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.