Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Bye bye, Van Jones..

by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 2:11 AM PDT

Good riddance. How this clown ever got into the government is a scandal in it self.

In case you don't know who Van Jones is, maybe it's because you are only following the biased main stream media...

http://www.washingtonexam...om/opinio....-57271402.h tml

From a Nexis search a few moments ago:

Total words about the Van Jones controversy in the New York Times: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy in the Washington Post: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on NBC Nightly News: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on ABC World News: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on CBS Evening News: 0.

If you were to receive all your news from any one of these outlets, or even all of them together, and you heard about some sort of controversy involving President Obama's Special Adviser for Green Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, your response would be, "Huh?" If you heard that that adviser, Van Jones, had apologized for a number of remarks and positions in the recent past, your response would be, "What?" And if you were in the Obama White House monitoring the Jones situation, you would be hoping that the news organizations listed above continue to hold the line -- otherwise, Jones, who is quite well thought of in Obama circles, would be history.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Bye bye, Van Jones..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Bye bye, Van Jones..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Your link doesn't work. Try again?
by Kees Bakker / September 6, 2009 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Bye bye, Van Jones..
Collapse -
The other way to look at the story.
by Kees Bakker / September 6, 2009 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I guess they moved it.

The lack of attention in serious media shows that it's just plain old right-wing progaganda.

As has been discussed recently: just an opinion, just as valuable or worthless as any other opinion. That's the nice thing with opinions.

Kees

Collapse -
No..it's all been documented...
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 2:45 AM PDT

quite meticulously. Most of it's on video. The reason it was ignored by the media is that they are extremely biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt66eWnjoTo&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.realclearpolitics.com%2Fvideo%2F2009%2F09%2F02%2Fobamas_green_jobs_czar_van_jones_republicans_are_aholes.html&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoc34dvh9AM&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fconservativetakes.proboards.com%2Findex.cgi%3Fboard%3Dgeneral%26action%3Ddisplay%26thread%3D2768&feature=player_embedded

He also described himself as a communist and and anarchist and signed a 9/11 "truther" petition ( and tried to explain that away with an amazingly lame lie). There's lots more, but you most likely didn't get to find out about it.

Somebody dropped the ball... again.

Ignoring reality can be dangerous.

Collapse -
opinion is he should leave.
by James Denison / September 6, 2009 4:13 AM PDT

Facts are as they stand, no matter what one's opinion of them are. Here in USA we tend not to favor communist sympathizers followed by their lies about it, in power. In truth his resignation is a win for the liberals since they can remove him as a polarizing figure and replace him with someone hopefully not the same.

Collapse -
propaganda oh my
by bluebottledrummer / September 6, 2009 4:15 AM PDT

the truth cuts to the quick

Collapse -
I guess it's not propaganda.
by Desperado JC / September 6, 2009 5:44 AM PDT

He's gone. He resigned in the dead of the night.

Collapse -
I've seen and read about it on CNN
by Josh K / September 8, 2009 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: I guess they moved it.
Collapse -
Not MY Nexis search...
by EdHannigan / September 8, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

but you gotta admit, it got almost until AFTER he was booted. Typical.

Collapse -
So what?
by Josh K / September 8, 2009 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Not MY Nexis search...

You posted it and also posted that the NYT had not mentioned his name even once. It took me less than 30 seconds to disprove that. I didn't try any of the other major outlets mentioned but I bet I'd get similar results.

Collapse -
Yeah, sure...
by EdHannigan / September 8, 2009 8:57 PM PDT
In reply to: So what?

It was all over the mainstream media wasn't it?

Jeeeez!

Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / September 8, 2009 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Yeah, sure...

A website called "Hot Air" has the same POV as you.

Collapse -
BTW, those stories were after he resigned...?
by EdHannigan / September 8, 2009 9:02 PM PDT

What did they say about him before he was thrown under the bus? That's what I was talking about.

Sheeesh!

Collapse -
REsponse
by JP Bill / September 8, 2009 9:08 PM PDT
Total words about the Van Jones controversy in the New York Times: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy in the Washington Post: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on NBC Nightly News: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on ABC World News: 0.
Total words about the Van Jones controversy on CBS Evening News: 0.

no mention of "before" or "after" in original post
Collapse -
Did you happen to notice the date on the article I posted?
by EdHannigan / September 9, 2009 12:30 PM PDT

Whoops!

Collapse -
Congratulations
by Angeline Booher / September 6, 2009 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Bye bye, Van Jones..

..... on the win!

However, I chose to continue to use The Washington Post, New York Times, and ABC news as my trusted sources of information. I have nothing against NBC News or CBS News, I just watch ABC. (Also some on cable.)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
If you don't mind being lied to and kept in the dark..
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Congratulations

I guess they're okay. Trusting them seems perilous. I prefer to know the truth myself.

I don't see it as a "win". Do you see it as a "loss?"

Collapse -
Then you should continue to avoid
by Angeline Booher / September 6, 2009 4:31 AM PDT

....... the media you identified as not telling the truth. Waste of time.

No, I don't see it as a loss.

I see it as a case of careless vetting. Somebody should have asked the right questions and thought ahead.

Young people have often become involved in causes they later regret.

This wasn't the first shadow on the White House, ad it won't be the last.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
A case of careless vetting...
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 4:38 AM PDT

One of many?

But it's not that. They knew who he was. Time to open your eyes.

Collapse -
No, No, Angeline..
by J. Vega / September 6, 2009 5:04 AM PDT

No, No, Angeline, the last thing you want is for the MSM to start examining Obama's lack of vetting. They just lost credibility, and may try to recapture it. To that end, they might "dogpile" the next incident that comes up with the past of a Czar. That would be bad for Obama, but if they instead "dogpile" not a single Czar but the entire Czar vetting process, the entire house of Czar cards might collapse, and that would be a disaster for Obama.
Obama should have thrown him under the bus long before. Now, with the delay, the media are starting to examine the mechanics of the bus itself, rather than just a particular passenger on it.

Collapse -
We have often criticized our presidents
by Angeline Booher / September 6, 2009 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: No, No, Angeline..

......... for not throwing some people under the bus. When the populace keeps crying "Get rid of him (or her) !" having been being long-time trusted friends should not be a saving grace.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
It could turn into one...
by J. Vega / September 6, 2009 4:45 AM PDT

It could turn into one if the call to examine the rest of the so called "Czars" and their vetting process, gets "legs".
On the story about Jones, on Friday CBS saw it coming and started covering it. Their motivation may have been something that many may not have considered. It may not have been for the sake of informing the people, but to slip a knife between the ribs of NBC and ABC. It gave them the ability to say CBS covered it, while they ignored it.
Look at it like business tactics. Another example: Remember the recent story about somebody having a rifle at an Arizona public meeting. MSNBC showed a carefully cropped photo where no skin was visible, leading to outcry about a "white" man with a gun by a Democratic official. After a couple of days, CNN ran the footage in full, clearly showing that the person was black. Zip, right through the ribs into the credibility of MSNBC.
It's not a new thing. Remember when the Pope was shot in Rome and the perp was being transferred into a van at police headquarters? He shouted something. I got it with a shotgin mic. Back at the broadcast feed facility we shared with NBC, we listened to it and heard his apology (I'm sorry two tourists were hurt.). Mic's eyes lit up and he sent someone to monitor NBC's satellite feed back to the U.S. When he came back and reported that the NBC story said he shouted defiantly to the crowd, we sent our correct feed to the U.S. with instructions wait to air it until NBC broadcast their incorrect story. Zip, one through the ribs.
The point is, even if they have a bias, after questions are raised about their not covering the Jones story start being asked, in the future they might leap on the bandwagon right at first when questions other so called "Czars" are asked. They might not want to be caught again, and may wish to set themselves up for criticizing other MSM outlets that ignore it. They now realize that stories about other "Czars" might get "legs", and might now want to be caught flatfooted again. We shall see what happens.

Collapse -
The media has to learn...
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 4:50 AM PDT

that they can't get away with it any more. You would think the Dan Rather fiasco would have taught them something.

Collapse -
Other Czars...
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 4:55 AM PDT

John Holden should get some scrutiny.

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry. Holdren.
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Other Czars...
Collapse -
we all win
by James Denison / September 6, 2009 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Congratulations

This guy was "coarse" which is putting it mildly, as one did. He's been involved in outright communist activities in the past. He's a 9-11 conspiracy buff. It may take more than one year just to get all the oddballs moved out of this administration and hopefully get some better replacements moved into place. This is almost on the level of the Livingston scandal during the early Clinton years.

Collapse -
Why does he need a replacement at all?
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: we all win

"Green Jobs Czar"? Give me a break. Just a way to get another radical in power with NO scrutiny or Congressional approval.

This is NOT the way to run a free country.

Collapse -
Haven't we been told that the person at the top...
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: we all win

Is the responsible party? This is not the first time something like this has happened in this Administration. It seems systemic. As somebody said...

"Is this they guy you voted for, or is he the guy WE TOLD YOU ABOUT ??"

Collapse -
Don't bust an artery!
by Angeline Booher / September 6, 2009 5:44 AM PDT

I agree it starts at the top, but in ALL administrations.

So the last one was responsible for sending our warriors into a war on shaky grounds without proper equipment and with poor planning, for appointing a guy who was into polo stuff to handle a disaster, for example. There were a lot of deaths from both.

I am not above being critical of this administration. I want us out of Afghanistan, IMO, we lost our chance to reach a positive outcome when it was put aside to invade Iraq. I do believe that it would be terrible for the Taliban to take over again. Al Qaeda is said to be in Pakistan. (And in other places in the world.) I suspect they are well funded, quite mobile and able to travel at will. I'm not sure if or mission is revenge or justice.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
???
by EdHannigan / September 6, 2009 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't bust an artery!

Bush's fault!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?