Laptops forum

General discussion

Buzzing noise using HP DV6000?

by Cocoagirl / March 13, 2007 3:34 AM PDT

Has anyone experienced this? I was reading the reviews on cnet and found several people complaining about the buzzing being so bad they had to send the system back? Has anyone experiencing this found a work around for the noise?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buzzing noise using HP DV6000?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buzzing noise using HP DV6000?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any feedback on the buzzing noize? If not HP then what else?
by Cocoagirl / March 13, 2007 11:45 PM PDT

I just want a 15.4 inch laptop with dedicated graphics, 120gb hd and 2gb memory (I am willling to buy smaller hd and mem and upgrade later on), under $1200. When I do a search for these specs, the only laptops that come up are the HP 6000 (which I was considering before reading about system noise, ACER Aspire (seems ok from reviews), Toshiba Satellite ($ have to review again), MSI Megabook (can't find a site that sells it), Lenovo ( don't like case), Dell E1505 and the Systemax Pursuit 4155. I really like the HP but am hesitanat b/c of system noise, has anyone had any experience with any of these other models, beside the Dell b/c I have read several reviews on them already?

Collapse -
HP dv6000t buzzing noise. I have too. What is it?
by balestrm / March 16, 2007 5:25 AM PDT

My Notebook Specs:

HP Pavilion dv6000t customizable Notebook PC
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T5600(1.83GHz/2MB L2Cache)
15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 950 - Core
HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
No TV Tuner w/remote control
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
Norton Internet Security(TM) 2007 - 15 Months

This is what I sent to HP:
Please provide the exact problem description. | A low intensity buzzing noise coming from the under-center of the computer keyboard. Sounds like the harddrive (please do make no mistake: i know the difference from HD spinning normal operating noise - this is different)and the buzzing noise seems to come and go. The problem has already surfed on the net (for example one thread see
forumID=69#threadID=238102#messageID=2428779#2428779)so I am not the
only one, experiencing this problem. I tried to change the Notebook
Settings Power Managment (as been suggested by others thinking of the
buzzing coming from the battery) but the buzzing seems related to the HD spinning or as others suggested maybe the Intel Core 2 chip? The problem does not seem software related or display. It is not the fan noise, please.In general, I am a very easy with noise (I live in NYC) - but the buzzing becomes unbearable after 1 + of use in a quite environment - so for a $1,300 brand new computer is not acceptable. Otherwise, I really love the computer, and the HP online ordering + shipping has been a great experience. Please help, I hope that it can be stopped or must return computer. BTW, I could not get through the Tech help on the phone or online chat - I tried several times.

Has anything changed since the unit functioned properly (installation
of SW, settings, cabling, etc.). | The unit never functioned properly.
The buzzing noise was audible from the first time I turn on the computer
out-of-the-box on March 13th. Nothing was added.

Anyone knows anything specific about this? Thank you. Massimo.

Collapse -
HP dv6000t buzzing noise. I have too
by dude_get_a_mac / March 25, 2007 7:19 AM PDT

i've spent hours on the phone with HP sent it in once, and brought it back for another one. ***!!! i spent over 1200 on this laptop and work in sound production. a buzzing sound is not right for something this much $$. i think its time for a class action sute or something... cause this is crap

Collapse -
It's all Intel - HP dv6000t buzzing noise
by websterphreaky / September 29, 2007 12:20 PM PDT

Hey guys, if you had looked around the Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro complaint sites, you would have noticed a great number of complaints about the same thing (and a lot of other MacBook / Pro complaints too). This FLAW is all thanks to the flaky Intel Core 2 Duo chip and it is well known on the Apple side.

The Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro (both VERY buggy notebooks that Apple DOESN'T make (Apple has NEVER made their own notebooks) uses the exact same Core 2 Duo series, although a higher clock rate, and probably the same Intel Mother Board as HP, Dell and likely many others. In fact the Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro's are probably made at the same factory by the same contractor in Commie China.

By the way, don't believe all the BS from the Apple Droids about how reliable Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro's are, your HP, Dell, Toshiba and Sony's are far less buggy. You want to know how buggy Apple portables are, just visit and a couple times a week.

I have a HP DV6540 and a G4 PowerBook, I'll take the HP over the Apple any day now.

I do have a question - has anyone noticed that the battery in the DV6000 series seems to drain a little too fast after charging, with the HP turned off for a few days? Like losing 5% a day discharge?

Collapse -
noisy hp laptops
by dave_eol / March 22, 2007 3:55 PM PDT

i work at circuit city. i bought a dv6244us and it was noisy as hell. i went online for some help and a technician told me to update my BIOS. no good. still noisy, so i exchanged it for another. same story. the beeping noise was way too annoying to look past. after the 2nd one had the same problems, i went to our laptop aisle. EVERY SINGLE HP LAPTOP MAKES THE NOISE! im serious, its awful but every HP has the same noisy hard drive beeping noise. I now have a gateway, which is quiet as can be. i cant believe more people havent returned their HP's due to this problem. i had to turn the thing off at night so i could actually fall asleep.

Collapse -
yeah i know
by dude_get_a_mac / March 25, 2007 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: noisy hp laptops

i got a dv6130us and it makes that noise, i dont know whats up with it, neather does hp or circuit city where i bought it. every one i picked up and tryed switching out made that noise. for something thats 1200 you should not have to deal with this... i think a class action sute needs to be filed. but tell that happens i need a fing laptop to use for audio produstion so off it goes to HP agean... please tell me of anything you find.

Collapse -
So HP seem to agree that the CPU C4 "Off" is the only ...
by balestrm / March 27, 2007 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah i know

I having been emailing back-and-forth with HP and they seem to agree that the CPU C4 "Off" is the only solution to solve the buzzing problem as previously posted "Adds ability to enable or disable the "Intel CPU C4" function from the BIOS Setup menu (F10)". By doing this you will no longer have the High Pitch Noise... (the sad part is if you are running ur unit on battery, this would drain the battery life by about 5 to 10%).

HP confirm that "...You will not have any issues in the long run. You have disabled SATA functionality, if it is enabled the notebook detects the SATA devices easily if you install any device in feature. If not, there is no problem with it."

It works for me - it stops the buzzing immidiately - if you want to keep this computer.

Collapse -
what is the step to disable intel CPU C4
by kanudo87 / April 12, 2007 10:58 AM PDT

hey BALESTREm, would u kindly tell me wht is a step to disable intel CPU C4. also is there a any disadvantage after disabling that function.. thanx plz reply soon

Collapse -
CPU C4 steps
by balestrm / April 13, 2007 12:20 AM PDT

First make sure that you have the most recent BIOS; you can download it at

In the most recent update, you can control and disable the "CPU C4" function.
After installing the new BIOS restart Windows keeping the F10 key pressed. This open the computer BIOS on start-up: then look for the "CPU C4" function and disable it, save and exit.

According to HP by disabling it - does not hurt the computer in any ways (short or long term). It might drain the battery faster (about 10% more) but it is a minor cost compared to that buzzing noise.

Collapse -
CPU C4 disabaling works eliminating noise.
by kanudo87 / April 21, 2007 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: CPU C4 steps

hey thanx balestrem. CPU C4 disabaling works eliminating noise. i really appriciate it. i was curious to know if u have came up with solution to constantly running fan? thanx my configue is intel core duo 2 1.60 GHz, 2 Gb ram, vista home premium. thanx again.

Collapse -
How to disable CPU C4 in HP dv6245
by valeriag / April 12, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

I would also like to know if your method of stopping the noise can be used in a HP Pavillion DV6245. I went into the BIOS but couldn't find the option to disable cpu C4 .... Where is is? Cold you give us a step by step, please?

Collapse -
See above posting
by balestrm / April 13, 2007 12:25 AM PDT

This should work for all Pavillion 6000 series. Again make sure that you have the most recent BIOS (F.16). you can check it by restarting Windows keeping the F10 key pressed. Check the version and update by downloading

Follow the steps in my previous posting.

Collapse -
Noise problem
by shah1237 / April 13, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: See above posting

Is the buzzing noise problem only with dv6000 with Intel laptops, or with Amd as well

Collapse -
by faid9 / June 13, 2009 2:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Noise problem

I have AMD 2G. 4G and it has same problem CPU NOISE AND AC NOISE -- HP LAPTOP Dv7-1132 also has noise problem from cpu , I sent it back to HP after 2 months OF trials with hp customer service online and phone calls support. but I am very sad they did not fix the problem , I got my laptop returned back with same problem , they even did not explain what they did -- no feed back from CS to show what they did ? I don?t think they did any change in the laptop?..

Collapse -
Are you sure you wanted to post in this old discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2009 9:28 PM PDT

Look at the date of over 2 years ago. Are you sure you wanted to bury what might be a question for help in an old discussion?

Collapse -
Can't update BIOS
by valeriag / April 14, 2007 11:54 AM PDT

Thank you so much for your help. I've followed the link, and downloaded and installed F16 version. But, when I tested out I still have the F13 version. Do you have any idea about why I can't update my BIOS?

Collapse -
Your trick does something...
by mikhael7 / April 25, 2007 11:13 AM PDT

Hey balestrm,

having followed your steps ... It did take away the buzzing sound, however, it also makes my fan work a lot more and makes it louder (wasn't like that with previous settings). Any ideas?

And what's this about SATA? Should it be disabled or enabled?

Collapse -
high pitched noise thread
by rowinvane / April 26, 2007 2:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
How to fix high pitch buzzing noise from intel based laptops
by ddubness / October 11, 2007 5:20 PM PDT

I recently purchased an HP dv6000 laptop that emitted a high pitch noise.
After some research I figured out that it was actually caused by the cpu going into a low power mode to conserve battery life.
I managed to fix the problem by turning off the abiltity for the cpu to go into a low power state in the bios.

Press f10 at start up.
Use right/left key to access system configuration
Use up/down arrow to select CPU C4 FUNCTION

Obviously battery life won't be as great but at least the annoying noise will be gone. If you decide later you need to, you can always turn it back on.

Collapse -
buzzing noise
by donhalpern / November 5, 2007 11:46 AM PST

After almost going out of my mind working with HP they gave me a upgraded brand new computer. Guess had the same noise. I must have spent 8-10 hours with these people

Anyway. there is a work around. The problem is that this model has a fan that makes this noise and you have to set the bios so that it will not enable the fan at a certain setting.

Collapse -
I have a DV6540 and .....
by websterphreaky / November 5, 2007 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: buzzing noise

I have a DV6540 and have never heard any "buzzing" or fan noise (yet) after having it for three months. I love it and I've had Mac PowerBooks back to 1998 ... it is ten times the notebook any MacBook Pro is at half the price! And Vista is so much more sophisticated and elegant than OS X is, it makes OS X look like OS 8.5. Ask any Mac Droid where the "Speed Boost" (instant extra RAM with use of a USB 2 Flash Drive) capability is in OS X Leopard? NOT!

Collapse -
HP laptops buzz from CPU, and Vista Sucks
by ebandit / April 12, 2008 1:13 AM PDT

My I had an HP dv6xxx with an Intel Core Solo CPU from bestbuy(cant remember exactly) and it made the electric buzz sound that is caused by the cpu because when under load the cpu doesnt do it, only when under no or light cpu load and the noise is louder when on battery power. HP claimed a bios update would fix it but it did not. I eneded up getting a different HP laptop DV6000 with an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 and it does the same thing, HP claims again a bios update will fix it but I havnt tried yet and am going to try what was posted on here. It is NOT the fan doing it on either PC.

As far as Macs, I have no clue but do know windows is a bloated operating system that hog resources seriously and they get worse with each new release. Vista sucks, it hogs resources like no other and speed boost is nothing more than a marketing gimmick! It usually doesnt improve system performance to a noticable level, this comes from various computer realted mags and my own tests on a vista machine. I have 2 upgrade sent to me because of the two pc's for Vista Hime Premium and after trying it out on a pc (not mine) and reading about it, I decided to stay with XP Media Center until Vista is improved more. Vista mike look cool, but performance is more important to me if you have to sacrifice too much. I have 2GB ram in my laptop but still dont want Vista, becuase it would be like having only 1GB in XP if I upgraded.

Collapse -
Humming noise on my HP dv6000
by chatchettn / February 19, 2010 5:30 AM PST

I have a humming noise in my laptop. It used to be only sometimes, now its pretty much all of the time.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?