HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Buzz Out Loud Drinking Game - Google Crazy

by jduprey1 / January 30, 2006 1:53 AM PST

The podcasts are a-''buzz'' with google news this month. I was thinking that it would make a crazy drinking game to have to drink (your favorite beverage) every time the podcast says the word ''google.''

More seriously, I think google is getting too much press lately. The hype over google has gone a little too far. Clearly they are a (THE?) key internet player to watch in the next serveral years, but to get excited over every move google makes seems a little too reactionary.?

-My 2 cents
John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buzz Out Loud Drinking Game - Google Crazy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buzz Out Loud Drinking Game - Google Crazy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yeah!
by rosscbrown / January 30, 2006 3:20 AM PST

google, i just did a search there, anyone want my story?

Collapse -
Nope
by alshinn / February 1, 2006 5:52 AM PST

Truly, Google is THE mover and shaker. I'm all for analyzing their every move. If Alan Greenspan rated it, then certainly Google rates it all the more. They're doing many interesting things in many interesting areas, and their moves will affect such trivial things as the future of democracy (interactions with China) and what desktop OS everyone in the world will be using (Goobuntu). Google on!

- Andrew

--
Shinn Photography
Get the picture? Get the picture.
www.shinnphoto.com

Collapse -
Google Gogles
by jduprey1 / May 3, 2006 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope

If you have your Google Gogles on you might just miss the point.

Collapse -
Sounds fun
by barret55 / May 3, 2006 1:52 PM PDT

I'll have to get me a few bottles of that Google Gulp (Beta) to play with...

-Terry

Collapse -
"Koolaid" Drinking game
by csliva11 / May 3, 2006 10:43 PM PDT

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. We could also change the rules a bit to where you drink everytime someone says "moving on."

Collapse -
Too much google
by Wendy P. / May 4, 2006 2:38 AM PDT

I agree that there's tons of google news everywhere. Not just on BOL but on other podcasts as well.

I don't use google. I just don't get it. I use Yahoo, and I've used Yahoo forever, and I love it, so I don't get the google love.

Collapse -
Its the promise of potential
by jduprey1 / May 4, 2006 4:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Too much google

Its the promise of potential that has gotten everyone excited. Google has a great search engine and advertising-based business model. They managed to parlet that into billions in funding.

Google has the mindshare and cash to revolutionize the computing world. They have potential.. but what have they done.. really?

Everyone, including myself, is anticipating that all their acquisitions and beta one-offs are going gel into some sort of "solution" or revolutionary new way of doing things.. that they will be the ones to break Microsoft's back (.. OK maybe that last one is just me:)

I use yahoo mail, but I'm not into them because they only support windows.

Collapse -
But it's the perfect marketing scheme!
by robstak / May 4, 2006 3:58 AM PDT

T/M/V talked about this re: the Wii (or was it the Origami?). By creating a whirlwind of buzz around your product(s), they advertise themselves by turning the rumor mill. This is exactly what Google wants; "keep people talking about us" leads to "never a dull moment" translates to "they must be doing well" to "i want to buy their stock or advertise with them" which leads to "Cha-ching!". Plus self-sustaining buzz doesn't cost anything anyway, so its cheap publicity!

I for one am glad that google is dipping its tenticles in so many different areas. Not only does it let me do anything with google, it also stirs reactive competition in its adversaries (Yahoo go for tv is actually pretty cool). So in the end, so far, the consumer is the winner as free content continues to explode.

Finally, google drinking game... PRICELESS. Too bad I'm the only geek that listens to it here in albany, and drinking by yourself is worrisome to some people Wink

Collapse -
I agree with you.
by jduprey1 / May 4, 2006 4:05 PM PDT

Google is great and I love all the free services. I use gmail, calendar, groups, and.. oh yeah.. search!

However, as a follower of technology, I don't like to see the hype overshadow the efforts of others. People have repeatedly pointed out that yahoo has a number of matching services that are as good if not better. Those services don't get the coverage they may deserve. Ask.com does a pretty good job searching too.. but google is better - the one thing google does undisputably better than anyone else.

Here's to google! (tips glass)
-John
BTW, robstak, when you're a BOL fan your never really alone.. and that was 4 "google"'s in this post! Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.