HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Buzz old skool

by JimMoreno / March 14, 2007 6:05 AM PDT

What a far out trip in the waaay back machine! Brought back so many memories, a couple I had forgot about completely. This should be a monthly segment!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buzz old skool
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buzz old skool
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ROFL
by Hiedran / March 14, 2007 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Buzz old skool

I wonder how many times they had to stop and take a break so they could just laugh at themselves.

I'm just glad I had my prototype 24k modem...

Collapse -
Thanks for the Apple //c update
by stagebrown / March 14, 2007 7:56 AM PDT

I really enjoyed this month's audio file - it was well worth waiting while it downloaded overnight. This fall (Aug. '84) I will be starting my first teaching job, and the school is setting up it's first ever computer lab. (The last few years there was an after-school Computer Club that had three or four TRS-80s, but this will be the first time there has been a computer class.) I hear the school is looking at buying 20+ Apple //c computers, so your update on that machine was very helpful.

I think I'll be concentrating on teaching programming in BASIC. That's the main focus of computers in schools these days - getting the kids to the point where they can write their own code. I don't think we'll get too advanced, but I hope it will be a good basis for anyone who goes on to study computers as a vocation.

We'll only have the software that comes with the machines, but I hope I can get some money in the budget in the future to buy some more (glad the prices are coming down). Has anyone heard about this AppleWorks program that's supposed to be so great?

I can't say I think much about the whole windows idea - why would I want students to be able to do two things at once? It's hard enough to get them to concentrate on one thing at a time.

And mice? Can you just see what the students would try to do with those? They wouldn't last a month ... no, thanks.

- Joel

Collapse -
Update: 2007
by stagebrown / March 14, 2007 8:11 AM PDT

Just found my old post from 20+ years ago (amazing how things hang around on the Web). Here's what's happened since:

I did start my teaching career in that new computer lab, and I'm still teaching in the same district. Your 1984 podcast brought back a lot of memories on how the technology in classrooms has changed. I taught BASIC programming on the //c's for about 5 years, although a year or two into it we got AppleWorks, and were amazed by the word processor. It only took about three months for me to learn all the codes you had to type to format text as bold, underline, etc. (no WYSIWYG there).

Then we got a lab with the pizza-box Macs (someone help me remember what that model was called). I did all the service myself, and got pretty good at tightening loose RCA video cables and cleaning floppy disk drives - even learned to set the speed on the drives.

A few years later I was thrilled to get a Mac with not only a color screen, but a mouse and a CD drive (the only one in the whole district). I didn't have that at home, of course, so when I bought Myst, I stayed after school most days for several weeks playing the game in my classroom. Then I got a phone line run into my classroom and a modem, and was the only classroom in the ditrict that was on the Internet. Ooh, aah.

This year, several labs later, I've moved into my first Windows classroom, with XP on the machines, and found that an old Mac fan really can survive in a Windows world. (But I still come home to my Mac Mini.)

We stopped teaching programming long ago, but this year I'm teaching digital photography, video editing and web design, and hope to start podcasting next year. And I still teach word processing, but without the in-line codes (thank goodness for mice and GUI).

Thanks for the surge of memories (and for doing it straight instead of going for the camp). It was a great reminder of how far we've all come.

- Joel

Collapse -
that's a great story Joel!...
by shawnlin / March 14, 2007 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Update: 2007

and thank you for being a teacher! It takes a lot of different people to make the world go 'round and I'm glad folks like yourself are inspiring and empowering!

That reminds me...I ought to send my favorite teachers a post card so they know how I turned out Happy

Collapse -
(NT) yeah - GREAT idea and well done "staying in character" :)
by shawnlin / March 14, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
when do we get the 1907 podcast
by vidyman / March 15, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

They could talk about the format war between disks vs. cylinders, that new invention by Marconi, wireless telegraphs, the new morose coda, and that big new ship the white star line is building. I can just hear Molly now ?A ship that big won?t float, and if does it probably won?t be able to steer clear of iceburgs?

Collapse -
I should be a regular bit.
by isting / March 15, 2007 12:19 AM PDT

I'm sure Tom had to write the whole thing. Wasn't Veronica a toddler in 1984?

Collapse -
Yep...
by Hiedran / March 15, 2007 12:23 AM PDT

If that. She might not have been even walking at that point in time. Regardless, incredible enunciation skilz for that age. Grin

Collapse -
Oh No...
by acedtect / March 15, 2007 5:09 AM PDT

V held her own, with the help of an old Poplar Computing magazine.

Tom

Collapse -
Poplar Computing?
by Hiedran / March 16, 2007 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh No...

You mean trees are getting into technology? Wink

Collapse -
Like Totally Awesome, Man
by TheBluePointe / March 15, 2007 3:12 AM PDT

That was great. 34 myself, it brought back a lot of great memories. I only wished--being an audio wav file--it would have included the "sounds" of the 80's. The sound of a modem squeal (which I haven' heard in years), the beep of an Apple II beeping on, or the truly floppy sound of a real floppy disk. Kind of an a-la Crave podcast. Maybe V and Tom can do a Crave back to the 80's podcast in the future. Happy Ooooo, the Future.

Collapse -
Buzz old skool
by wizkids32 / March 15, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

That was kool to hear right I had forgotten about a lot of that stuff I had a TRS-80 model 1 and 4 yep that was fun to hear. YEP that should something they might want to think about doing again that was fun.

Collapse -
(NT) Did you know they have the Internet on Computers now?
by davviau / March 15, 2007 3:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Word....
by thriftyT / March 17, 2007 1:23 PM PDT

This should definitely be a regular feature... Loved it!

Collapse -
Kind of amusing......
by somei08 / March 19, 2007 12:02 PM PDT

...because I was only TWO in 1984 (Actually, May would have been my second birthday so maybe 1 and 15/16ths)

Still, it brought back memories of me working with my TRS-80 back in the good ol days.

Anyway, great job. I'm surprised that you guys stayed in character

Maybe Veronica, being a gamer, can cover the Crash of '84 (or 83 if you want to get techincal)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.