Laptops forum

General discussion

Buying used laptop; warranty advice

I would really appreciate some advice, since this is my first laptop purchase!

I just bought a factory-refurbished Fujitsu S6010 Pentium III-M, 512MB RAM, wireless, etc. It's approx 2 years old, a thin-and-light, but pretty high-end. It should be up-to-date for my purposes for at least 4 years, I hope.

It comes with a 90-day factory warranty, for parts-and-labor (no accidental coverage), and has the option to extend the warranty:

1yr warranty - 12% of the cost of the laptop ($90)
3yr warranty - 30% of the cost ($230)

Do y'all think it's worth it to extend to a 3yr warranty? It's such a high percentage of the cost! Accident coverage and LCD coverage are also available, but for an arm and a leg.

I've heard several things on this:
1) If it's been factory-refurbished, "all the kinks" be worked out already. No need to get an extended 3yr warranty if it's already been looked at carefully. Most likely, damage will have been caused by me bumping or dropping it, which isn't covered anyway.

2) If you want to keep it for 3 years, then being without a warranty is like "being naked in the woods during a thunderstorm."

Thanks a lot; just wish Fujitsu's warranty service was cheaper.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying used laptop; warranty advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying used laptop; warranty advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Buying used laptop; warranty advice

In reply to: Buying used laptop; warranty advice

those are some good points, sounds like your intending to keep it for at least 4 yrs...

I dont know how good Fujitsu's techs are when they are doing a diagnostic on a referb... suppose it would depend on how alert the person(s) at the time..

Personally on anything that is a referbished unit that costs that much.. well I would seriously consider purchasing the warrenty,

but before you do, read it.. find out if
1. you have to mail them your laptop to have it fixed
2. If they have "local" certified techs, or repair shops, that you check those out first, check with the BB, and customer satisfaction etc..

Two if its getting alot of milage on it.. it may be in your best interst to have the extended warranty, crack the case, loose a button, etc...

(knew someone whos husband got mad at her and ran hers over with their suv... they got it fixed and two weeks later their 3yr old desided to teach it how to swim in her kiddy pool... she had the 1yr warrenty... you just never know)

Collapse -

Let me comment that the price you quored are a bargain. You may not have priced out the warranty from others or you would not have complained. Hint: try dell...

My experience is that laptops are 2 to 3 year devices with the battery dropping dead from 18 to 24 months out. This over 100 dollar battery is not covered in the warranty.

My personal laptops hit 4 years, but lug mine around in a double layer transport armor and it takes impacts and drops well. But I don't drop it or put it in harms way. However, the CD, CDRW and DVD drives are still failing in the 1 to 36 month timeframe, so they have nothing better than what we see in the desktops.

That's a nice price on the warranty and even better if you are making out the warranty check to Fujitsu.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Buying used laptop; warranty advice

The Fujitsu 3yr warranty is for parts and labor only and does NOT cover accidental damage. It is mail-in, although on-site service is available for, like $120 more I think. Rereading my old message, that probably wasn't clear.

Dell has a comparable 3yr extension on their refurbished laptops for $99, less than half of Fujitsu's.

But after reading these messages, it seems like it is still a good idea to get the 3yr warranty. Still, I hesitate to purchase a $230 warranty on a $750 computer.

Thanks for your help; other comments welcome!

Collapse -
750 for used?

In reply to: Re: Buying used laptop; warranty advice

I can see the connundrum.

But let me comment that the warranty cost is NOT related to the initial machine cost in any direct way. The warranty cost is much like insurance where you spread the costs out across the user base and still try to make money.

Many don't understand how insurance works in the big picture.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: 750 for used?

In reply to: 750 for used?

I think it makes sense to purchase the warranty then, if I don't want to buy a new laptop for awhile.

I hope your title "750 for used?" doesn't imply that I paid too much! My friend insisted that a new laptop for the same price (albeit heavier) would be a better deal, but I didn't listen to her.

Thanks again for your advice.

Collapse -
Re: 750 for used?

In reply to: Re: 750 for used?

I bought a refurbished IBM with 90 day warranty. I don't think I would want to spend a few hundred more on a warranty for a used laptop. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying it at such a good price. So far I've bought refurbished scanners, phone system, 2 desktops, a USB CD-RW and the laptop and had no problems with any of them. It may just be luck, but maybe it is because they really have been checked out thoroughly when refurbished. I spent $80 extra for a 3 year warranty on one of the desktops: shouldn't have! Of course desktops are easier to fix yourself if a problem does arise, but so far no problems.

Collapse -
Used?

A little late getting into this discussion. Hope your Fujitsu is serving you well! There is a recent adapter ECO for the S series Fujitsu notebooks, if you have not had reason to send the unit in, you might like to contact them to have it sent to you.

Just some FYI:

Refurbished notebooks are not necessarily "used". If you purchase a computer, take it home, and bring it back to the store - that SAME day - w/o even opening the box - it is not supposed to be restocked for sale again until it returns to the manufacturer, at which time it must become a Refurb. If Frys returns overstock notebooks to the manufacturer - that have never been sold - never opened - they too become Refurbs. The majority of Fujitsu notebooks fall into this catagory. Others are "gently" used....the customer returned the notebook after a few days or so of use. Some notebooks are returned under the upgrade program, but these are usually tested and torn down for parts.

The Repair Tech will give the notebook a visual inspection, check for ECOs, bios updates, reload the software (even if it was never opened), and sent the unit to Burn In. There it will run tests for a few hours that will possibly show any problems (not exactly working out "all the kinks".)

After BI the notebook goes to a Quality Tech who does another visual inspection (Refurbs are allowed to have some minor scratched plastics...but not dents, cracks, discoloration or such.), and then tests the ports, drives, sound, video, etc.

Unfortunately, after leaving the shop the unit is in the hands of low paid warehouse workers who may not be nice, remember the Samsonite luggage gorilla commercials? These people box the units for shipping, they may scratch the units, bump them excessively, not package them properly.

I won't go into the perils a notebook faces in the hands of the shipping companies!

Warranties: if you really think you are going to keep the notebook for that many years, and you are sure that you can be careful not to physically damage the unit, then the extended warranty is a good deal. I am of the mind though, that a year warranty is enough. If the components make it that far then any break down is more likely to be customer damage. Some insurance companies sell policies on notebooks to cover damage...not sure about cost.

And the answer to a possible question is "yes".

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!