PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Buying RAM??

by Skippydzg-19775613352040905766856375157430 / January 24, 2006 2:31 PM PST

I have an AMD computer, and this is what the current Ram stick says on it...

DDR 333 128 MB
16MX16 2.5 V UI

And I need to buy a gigabyte of new RAM. What kind of ram do I need to buy, and how do I know it will work?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying RAM??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying RAM??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We really should know more about your system.
by Ray Harinec / January 25, 2006 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: Buying RAM??

If it is a proprietary such as Dell, Compaq, HP, etc, it's simple. Go to http://www.crucial.com enter the model number of your computer. They'll tell you what type it will take and the maximum size [in MB] that each memory slot can support.

Very important if it turns out that your mobo supports Dual Channel.

DDR333 memory is also called PC 2700.

There are also some possible issues regarding the density of the DIMM chip used on the memory sticks such that some mobos do not support the higher density DIMMs.

If you can tell us what mobo you have, we could help. However, if you know the answer to that you can go to the mobo mfr's website and find the info yourself.

Collapse -
Go with the Crucial Website
by CG-TG / January 25, 2006 10:17 PM PST

Go with the Crucial Website and enter your information. It was great advice above.

Collapse -
Agree with both posters....without more specific info....
by VAPCMD / January 26, 2006 2:35 AM PST

we can't help much more.

To that I'll add Kingston and Corsair also offer RAM for most PCs and armed with the manufacturer name, series and model number of your PC...you can go to their websites and see what they offer and recommend.
The good thing about buying from Crucial, Kingston or Corsair is they guarantee compatiability with your PC if you buy one of their products recommmended for your PC directly from them. Some of their products are also available at NewEgg.com ZipZoomFly.com, etc.,

You could buy generic RAM and hope it works but in my experience you're way ahead by going with good quality brand name stuff unless you're a glutton for pain and punishment.

Collapse -
How to find out?
by Skippydzg-19775613352040905766856375157430 / January 26, 2006 5:16 AM PST

So how do I find out more about my PC's motherboard?

Is it all in the motherboard manual? What kind of info am I looking for?

Collapse -
Download and run CPUZ and BELARC Advisor
by VAPCMD / January 26, 2006 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: How to find out?

CPUZ should tell you exzactly what MB you have and what revision it is (3rd TAB). You can bounce that off what you get using Belarc "Advisor". Good info to have available.

Once you get that....check the motherboard manual for any info re adding RAM to your system. Go to one or two of the recommended sites and see what's available.
Then post the info (MB mfg, model and rev) here along with your proposed RAM purchase for others to comment on.

Collapse -
The mobo manual will specifically
by Ray Harinec / January 26, 2006 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: How to find out?

tell what type RAM and how much per slot, total memory maximum and if there are any unusual things about the last memory slot. [some mobos allow less in the last slot depending on what it in the earlier slots.

Collapse -
Got specs, now which RAM to buy!?
by Skippydzg-19775613352040905766856375157430 / January 31, 2006 11:35 AM PST

The mobo seems to be...

AmD Sempron, 1200 MHZ, SiS-741

Does that help? What are the specific types of RAM I should be looking for now?

Collapse -
If you cannot find the info in the PC Manual ..try CPUZ
by VAPCMD / January 31, 2006 1:23 PM PST

and look at the TAB called ..."Mainboard" ...give us the exact manufacturer NAME, MODEL NUMBER, and REVISION NUMBER.

Collapse -
That is not a mobo name/model
by Ray Harinec / February 1, 2006 12:06 AM PST

AMD Sempron 1200 MHz is the CPU that is installed. The SIS 741 mis the chipset that the mobo uses. Many mobosof different mfrs use SIS chipsets.

You really need to find the mobo model to be sure of the speed memory that it is designed for.

It is true that one can use faster rated memory in a slower bus and it will simply run fine but simply at the lower clock speed, and you could get away with PC 3200 DDR 400, although that seems like a rather older CPU.

But it is best to be safe before wasting money getting unsuitable memory. Buy from outfits such as Crucial and Mushkin,will give lifetime warranty and replacement if it is the incorrect type

Collapse -
Where in the programs are the mobo specs?
by Skippydzg-19775613352040905766856375157430 / February 3, 2006 11:30 PM PST

Well, where would I find out what the motherboard specifications are without the mobo book?

Collapse -
RUN CPUZ and go to Mainboard Tab
by VAPCMD / February 4, 2006 4:59 AM PST

Armed with the Mfgs name, model #, and rev #, you can usually find the MB spec's on the MFG's website in the applicable MB Manual. Right ?

Collapse -
No information in CPUZ
by Skippydzg-19775613352040905766856375157430 / February 4, 2006 10:31 AM PST

Under the Mainboard tab, the only information present is as follows..

Motherboard----

Model : SiS-741
Sensor: ITE 8712

Bios---
Brand : Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: 6.0 PG

Everything else in this tab is grayed out.

I got this computer on a special from Fry's, it was a 1.2 ghz AMD with Linux installed as the default OS on the 40 gig harddrive. And I can not for the life of me figure out the mobo specs to buy RAM at all.

Collapse -
Try BELARC ADVISOR at BELARC.COM
by VAPCMD / February 4, 2006 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: No information in CPUZ

PS...What did it say under the MEMORY or SPD TAB under CPU-Z

Collapse -
RAM
by dcarp757 / February 4, 2006 12:41 PM PST

Thats easy!
www.crucial.com

Collapse -
Based on what ???
by VAPCMD / February 4, 2006 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: RAM

Are you assuming the DDR333 is right ?

How many DIMM slots does he have to work with ?

Does the MB support dual channel ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.