Samsung forum

General discussion

buying on holiday

by inapot / March 21, 2011 2:51 AM PDT

ibought a samsung galaxy spica mobile phone on holiday in Thailand in November 2010. when i got home i discovered that i could not transfer data, pics, music or video to and from my PC. i contacted samsung uk who flatly refuse to honour the warranty as it was bought abroad.
it is not damaged, tampered with in any way..it is faulty. They claim i would need to take it back to Thailand to get it fixed under warranty (?) they gave me a link to Samsung Thailand, which when i used was all thai so i couldnt understand a word.
is this the policy of a massive global company such as Samsung? to refuse to repair or replace a FAULTY product using highly questionable criteria.
please everyone be aware that if you buy a Samsung product on vacation or in any country other than the one of your residence, your warranty may well not be worth the paper it is written on.
i continue to contact Samsung UK in the hope someone will help, but rest assured there will never be another Samsung product enter this house until someone does!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: buying on holiday
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: buying on holiday
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What does the warranty document say?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: buying on holiday

"Only valid in Thailand" or "International"? I'm asking, because I don't have it. You have, so you can tell.

Did you install the software to connect the phone to the PC? It's called Samsung PC Studio. I find the versions 7.2.24.9 and 3.2.1 available, but I didn't research the difference.

Kees

Collapse -
pc studio.
by inapot / March 21, 2011 4:27 AM PDT

yes i went to samsung site and downloaded the latest pc studio.
still no good.
when i took it to a samsung authorised service centre they said it is probably a software problem but cannot repair it because they would not get paid for the repair.

Collapse -
Hey
by my-tech / March 21, 2011 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: buying on holiday

Sorry to hear your having troubles,

I think the lesson to be learned here ( although kinda silly and unfortunate )
don't buy any expensive electronics or other products that you may need a warranty for because I'm afraid , not only samsung , but alot of other companies will not honor Any warranty if you are reisiding in another country other than where the product is purchased!

Collapse -
warning
by inapot / March 21, 2011 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey

then ALL manufactureres should be required by law to state this clearly on the outside packaging of any product.
how this can be legal amazes me.

Collapse -
warranty
by inapot / March 21, 2011 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: warning

have just looked at my warranty..
**nowhere** does it state that it is invalid other than the country of purchase...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?