PC Hardware forum

General discussion

buying new PC for multimedia production

by tigah1 / March 23, 2004 6:44 PM PST

I've been doing a lot of music production over the last year, and can't even run some of the apps with my current system, let alone multiple soft synths. I've been upgrading the same box since 1998 or so, and it won't support a newer motherboard and only has 2 USB ports, so I'm thinking it's time to buy a new system entirely.

Right now I'm considering buying a machine out of our local classifieds with the following specs:
"P4 2.53GHZ COMPLETE SYSTEM W/MONITOR HP Multimedia Machine in box! Intel P4 2.53 Ghz System, 512 MB DDR memory, 52x32x52x cdrw, 50x CD drive, 80GB HD, 2 Amplified speakers, onboard Ethernet NIC, 56K modem, 6USB , 3 Firewire ports, Keyboard, mouse, Windows xp preinstalled."

Price is $850CDN, which is a lot cheaper than newer systems such as this one:

That has a somewhat faster processor, a bigger hdd, a better video card, and DVD-RW. Doesn't seem to me to be worth the extra $1000 though.

So is the used comp a good choice? Anything it's missing, or any questions I need to ask? I would be porting my current 120GB drive over to add to the existing 80GB drive, and probably upgrading the RAM to 1GB.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: buying new PC for multimedia production
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: buying new PC for multimedia production
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:buying new PC for multimedia production
by Mark G / March 23, 2004 7:15 PM PST

well if its used what kind of warrenty/length does it have?
in the shop i work in used carry 30 days.think about it if on the 45th day it dies?

Collapse -
Re:buying new PC for multimedia production
by John Robie / March 24, 2004 4:28 AM PST

In my opinion not a good buy for a used computer from an individual when you can get better new for about the same price with a one year warranty. If I was going to get a used computer I would buy it from the refurb section of Dell. Most of their PC's are brand new, some never used, just returned. They must be sold as refurbished which all they do is give it a good check on everything.

If you have patience and can check out Dell every week for a while you can get an outstanding buy on a new computer (not from the refurb dept) just like this guy (customized it):

(without a $99 17" monitor) and the PC has the
800 Mhz FSB w/Hyper-Threading Technology.
Dell changes their set up and prices on purchases almost every week and also juggles around on shipping free

The previous posts:

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?