iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

buying my first ipad

I've been thinking about getting an ipad for a while now and I think it's finally time. But I wanted to get some advice as to which one to get. The two I'm debating between are a refurbished iPad 4th generation and a refurbished iPad Mini 2.

I mostly want the tablet so that I can 1) read high res comics 2) sketch and paint with apps like Procreate 3) play app games 4) and occasionally watch netflix or something.

The mini 2 supposedly has a more powerful processor which would have improved performance, but the iPad 4 has a larger screen which would be nice for reading comics and painting. Refurbished versions of both are fairly cheap as well (my price point is around the 299 mark) So I'm pretty torn...

Does anyone have any advice on what they would do or know of any factors that would sway me one way or the other?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: buying my first ipad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: buying my first ipad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The mini is well.

In reply to: buying my first ipad

If you think the screen will do for you, then that's fine. I find I want the bigger canvas for drawing. For me, the 4th gen would be the winner for this round.
Bob

Collapse -
I concur

In reply to: The mini is well.

Once everyone in my house started finding out the availability of lesser priced refurbished versions of the larger sized iPads, their minis went unused.

IME the iPad '4' (not really the name, btw) is perfectly capable of whatever you throw at it. I swear that when I upgraded my router to to a faster 'N' version of wifi, the only devices in the house I noticed the difference on were the iPads <shrug>.

Collapse -
Smaller screen/lesser freedom of navigation

I have an iPad Mini and while it is great for writing, playing games and watching movies while being extremely portable, a larger screened iPad will probably be better for using Procreate.

Collapse -
Buy iPhone 5S instead

I would advice you to go for iPhone 5S instead of iPad as it has more features and looks great. Yes it may has small screen for you comics and painting but it will be a perfect device for you.
But if you are stuck at iPad then I will suggest you iPad Mini due to its great feature. Close your eyes and go for it then.....

Collapse -
This reply sounds like...

In reply to: Buy iPhone 5S instead

...a nonsensical robot was hired to write it Wink

Collapse -
Wow! Way to go off on a tangent.

In reply to: Buy iPhone 5S instead

What part of "larger screen which would be nice for reading comics and painting" did you miss?

If I remember rightly, the iPhone 5S does not have what could be described as a "larger screen"

P

Collapse -
Smaller screen

If I were you, I'd prefer iPad Mini. For it is convenient for writing, playing games and watching movies.

Collapse -
refurbished one

I would go with the refurbished mini.

You can get one cheap now and i like it because it can fit right in your hand

Collapse -
Re: buying my first ipad

If I were you, I prefer the 4th gen.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.