Mac OS forum

General discussion

Buying MAc vs.PC

by morrismcm / March 14, 2008 12:54 AM PDT

I am considering buying MAc after many years of owning PC. I realized that many softwares for Macs are much more expensive than for PC. I have seen anti virus programs for Macs for about 60 $ per year, but do I need anti virus and firewall or new operating system Leopard has it all?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying MAc vs.PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying MAc vs.PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mac Software
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Buying MAc vs.PC

is really not more expensive than Windows software. Not the good stuff anyway.

There are currently no virus's, in the wild, that attack OS X.

If you feel the need for AV software, consider ClamXAV, which is free

P

Collapse -
Be aware!
by Me, Myself and You / March 17, 2008 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Mac Software

I downloaded ClamXav and foolishly decided to run it in realtime. Slowed the system right down! Seriously, it killed the performance of my Mac and actually caused some instabilities.

To the above poster: The Mac OS is rarely affected by viruses, and there is a built in firewall. You won't need any protection, but it is still wise to download a scanner like MrMac suggested, which you can do so with ClamXav. Don't run the scanner realtime if I were you, but still keep it around so you can scan files you may wish to send to your Windows buddies.

Collapse -
Highly recommend it
by kevanatkins / March 21, 2008 2:53 PM PDT

I was just in your situation about a month ago. I bought a MacBook. The operating system is very user friendly once you get used to a few different things. A lot of the standard key commands are similar. Macs are great in my opinion. They just work. They are very much a people's computer. Great for graphics and audio. Macs also have a media remotre so you can use it as a home entertainment computer also. You can access movies, Music, podcasts and other types of media with the remote.

The operating system is very stable. It's based on UNIX. If a program crashes which isn't often. Unlike windows it's only that program that stops working and not the whole operating system. In which case you just have to force quit the application. The programs that crashes on my machine is Firefox. Possibly a glitch in the programming because it's open source. Everything else just works.

You can get Microsoft office on mac. The current version being mac office 2008 which is just brilliant. It has has Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage which is the equivalent to Outlook. Also mac office has really nice smart graphics features. In many people's opinions including my own the mac office is better than the current windows office. Though if you want to use access then you'll have to run it on windows (explained below).

You can also runs windows on a Mac machine because they are running Intel processors. You can run windows in parallels desktop which will run a windows desktop in a mac window or you can run windows as a separate booting on a separate partition. I find parallels to be more convenient because you don't have to reboot in order run windows and it doesn't compromise performance. Though parallels desktop costs money. So with Macs you can get the best of both worlds.

If you want a nice Mac desktop. Get a Mac mini and get the higher end model because I find the lower end model to have less value for money. You can connect your current monitor keyboard, mouse and whatever else in that you had before. Though I'd recommend getting the Mac keyboard so that the keys match the operating system fully.

There's no need for anti-virus on macs. Not many people have bothered putting anything malicious for them out in the wild.

I hope this has helped you.

-Kev

Collapse -
Considering a Mac
by studiotropico / March 21, 2008 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Highly recommend it

My HP computer with WindowsXp died in November so based on what I had heard about Vista i got an iMac. Big mistake! Everything from Apple is overpriced and propietary and they have an extremely limited amount of software. Most of what comes with it is consumer grade and not too interesting. The operating system (Leopard) is very convoluted and seems old fashioned to me. You need to click many times just to do something simple. The Macmail is clunky and slow. You have to buy Applecare for $99 to get repairs and support. Macs are not upgradeable without their technicians. I would caution a Windows/PC user about switching to Apple. I found it so unsatifactory and frustating I gave up and am selling it I bought a new HP with Windows Vista and am once again happy and productive. Do some research and don't believe the hype. For the price of an iMac you can get a high end PC with a big monitor and a 42" Plasma TV. Think about it.

Collapse -
Here's some more info for you about Macs
by studiotropico / March 21, 2008 11:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
Please give a current example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 1:10 AM PDT

The old examples required the users to help the virus get into the machine. Yours is from 2006 and is a fine example where the user did a dumb thing.

You bring up a good point. Should an OS stop the user from doing what they want? Remember the M5?

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Whoops!! Let's start a NEW discussion on this!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 1:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm not a "techie"
by studiotropico / March 22, 2008 1:26 AM PDT

I would just like to point out that Macs are not immune to viruses.
It's something you should consider and decide for yourself.
Form November 2007:

Apple has fessed up to at least three serious design weaknesses in the new application-based firewall that ships with Mac OS X Leopard.

The acknowledgment from Cupertino comes less than a month after independent researchers threw cold water on Apple?s claim that Leopard?s firewall can block all incoming connections.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=673&tag=btxcsim

Collapse -
By your own admission
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not a "techie"

you are not a techie.

Now, if you would like to continue this conversation regarding virus's on OS X, feel free to start a new thread.

So far your information as been either out of date or totally irrelevant. Articles from 2007 do not cut it in 2008, especially as you fail to mention whether that particular problem has been addressed.

Currently there are NO virus's out there in the real world that successfully operate against OS X.

Be careful, and think back to your Windows days and tell me how many times a virus asked you if it could install itself.

Look forward to the new thread

P

Collapse -
Can you offer any proofof this invulnerability?
by studiotropico / March 22, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: By your own admission

One of the articles was from November 2007. I provided the link and again below. It's now March of 2008. Is 5 months out of date and irrelevant? As to whether it's been resolved I don't care as I don't use a Mac. The point is their claim to invincibilty from viruses has been questioned by experts and someone considering buying one based on that claim should know the facts and do the research. My complaints about Apple go far beyond their vulnerability to viruses. Personally as a subscriber To Norton AntiVirus I have had very little exposure to this problem. Forewarned is forearmed. Potential Mac users should know that there are in fact threats to their system. So if Apple has resolved their firewall and antivirus problems you would be doing those people a service by providing the documentation and facts to confirm that.
This is a quote from the article October 30, 2007. Not really that long ago.

The new firewall in Leopard isn?t the only security feature being pooh-poohed by security researchers. According to Thomas Ptacek , co-founder of Matasano Security, Apple?s implementation of memory randomization in Leopard doesn?t make the operating system immune from virus and worm attacks.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=622
Please provide the link that documents and confirms there are NO viruses that succesfully operate against OS.X

Collapse -
Start a new thread since you are hijacking this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 7:02 AM PDT

I will be removing the off topic posts later this day.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?