Laptops forum

General discussion

Buying Laptop for Daughter Going to School

by tripster / June 11, 2005 10:59 PM PDT

Looking to get the best buy for the money to last my daughter through 4 years of school. Looking for some guidance to best utilize about $1000 that I'm willing to spend.

I think I need a basic laptop to do non-gaming activites including all MS appliations except Access. Also need to download pictures and edit.

Curious about the need to get a 64 bit processor for such basic function. Not sure if this is even needed since daughter will be on Windows XP the whole time. I see AMD 64 3200+ that seems to be a good price in laptops but, concerned about battery life.

I think her needs are CD-Burner, at least 512MB ram, 802.11g wireless LAN, at least 60GB hard drive, good battery life of 3 hrs or so.

Can someone give me some guidance?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying Laptop for Daughter Going to School
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying Laptop for Daughter Going to School
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About batteries.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2005 11:16 PM PDT

None have lasted 4 years. Only forums like these will reveal the brutal numbers that the battery is only good for about 500 full discharge/charge cycles which is well within a few years of normal usage. This bothers some.

If you didn't mean "battery life" but how long the laptop will run on battery power, that's an interesting problem. Anytime the battery time goes over 3 to 4 hours, it presents the laptop makers a chance to reduce the cost of the laptop by using a smaller battery. The net effect is that laptops turn in similar ranges of power on hours on battery power.

Desktop replacement machines tend to not worry about this number and settle for anything over 1 hour.

Hope this helps,

Bob

PS. While 64-bit is not required to do the mundane tasks, the 64-bit is here and now in plain view. I have one and will not go back.

Collapse -
Battery Last on a Charge
by tripster / June 11, 2005 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: About batteries.

I did mean battery lasting on a charge.

I see a Compaq at Best Buy with:

AMD 64 Processor 3200+
DVD/CD-RW drive
512MB DDR SDRAM
80GB Hard Drive
wireless LAN

for $900.

Good deal?

Depending on the battery, what would be a good replacement battery to get to upgrade the battery?

Collapse -
For the battery...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2005 11:53 PM PDT

You can review the machine's "specs" to get an idea if that is enough minutes. No one is ever happy about such, but I do fine as long as it's over the hour mark.

At hpshopping.com you can customize the battery offering to get more minutes, but given the prices I wouldn't for most situations since it adds wieght and cost to the laptop. Your choice on that.

One upside and downside to the bigger battery is it will last longer (months/years) but will cost more to replace in a few years when it fails.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?