Laptops forum

General discussion

Buying gaming laptop for sc2

by jasonSC2 / October 5, 2010 12:13 AM PDT

ok so im shopping around for a laptop that will be a freaking beast! and run games etc flawlessly.. i was looking at the alienware x15 but after reviewing it on the site im a bit skeptical.. i have about 1500 to spend.. any suggestions computer people? im about average with anyone in their mid 20s when it comes to being tech savey

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying gaming laptop for sc2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying gaming laptop for sc2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alienware
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / October 5, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

Hi Jason,

The Alienware x15 is a great gaming laptop. Is there anything in particular you found missing on the Alienware or any specific features you need? I can recommend a few other options.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
alienware
by jasonSC2 / October 5, 2010 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Alienware

yes i was hearing that some of the drivers were out of date and that customer service was the worst thing ever... also battery life was an issue with most people with that laptop

Collapse -
That's true for most laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: alienware

I don't know of any maker that has current drivers or rather keeps the drivers up to date. The reasons are well known but we can discuss why if you haven't read why.

About battery times. A great gaming laptop usually gets about one hour of battery time when gaming. This is the state of the technology today. However "battery life" is on average from 300 to 1000 cycles or one to three years. Which battery life or time are you asking about.

As to support, are you asking about Windows support or the machine support? Many are confused and think resolving problems with malware or windows is supported.
Bob

Collapse -
bob
by jasonSC2 / October 5, 2010 11:52 AM PDT

sorry bob i guess i wasnt clear enough lol

Drivers: honestly im not sure what exactly the reviewer was talking about.. something along the lines of the drivers wernt the ones they needed and they had a hard time finding the right ones..

Battery life: i was asking about time fully charged --> dead. i heard its somewhere around 2 hours of idle/on the internet/listening to music, stuff thats not too demanding.

Support: Ive read that the support function build into the machine is buggy and the live support from dell is the worst support on earth.. i spoke with someone at bestbuy about it and they agreed with that.

basicly i just need to be pointed towards the alienware or away from it. is it a good machine for the $1500.00 that youre going to be paying for it or is it a bulky headache.

Collapse -
Let's talk each item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: bob

1. Drivers. The machine arrives for most with working drivers. If a machine arrives with bad drivers, let's hope there is a scathing review. I've never had this issue so I can't write that a new machine has this issue. I HAVE FOUND that as time passes the makers do not update their web sites. For Nvidia I find the drivers to be easy to find (nvidia.com!) which makes you wonder about the reviewers!

2. Battery TIME. The reason for low times is simple. It's like a high powered sports car and low MPG. These machines have high power components so you get 1 or maybe 2 hours on battery. If you want long battery times, get a non-gaming laptop. Those Acer TimelineX models often get 8 or more hours on battery power.

3. Support. You're right. Windows help is a disaster. Makes you wonder why it's still so bad. Dell support at the office is great. But then again we never have calls about Windows. We are programmers so any software or malware issue is handled in house.

4. My kid wanted a gaming machine. My wife wanted a fast machine to run the Sims. Both are gamer laptops with the usual downsides of 1 or 2 hour battery times and hot due to the high end CPU and GPU. One's an Asus, the other is a HP dv7. Both have i7 CPUs and 1GB dedicated RAM GPUs.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
bottom line
by jasonSC2 / October 5, 2010 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Let's talk each item.

Wow bob thanks so much for the information. i liked the analogy about the sports car, makes alot of sense.

so overall are you giving the x15 your stamp of approval?

Collapse -
If.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2010 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: bottom line

If you can live with a hot laptop with a shorter lifespan but average for gaming laptops then you are a candidate for a gaming laptop. I've yet to find a cool (temperature) gaming laptop that didn't need repairs in years 2 or 3.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.