General discussion

Buying Advice on Computer For My Mother

My mom is looking to get a new computer. She's been using an old Dell laptop of mine, something with probably 500 MB of RAM, a 1.0 GHZ Intel processor (whatever was popular in 02'). It was reformatted from scratch when she started using it, but generally it's just clunky, unreliable, and slow.

She really doesn't need much of an improvement, just something new with slightly better memory and chip speed. Hard drive size doesn't matter, she doesn't keep anything. She primarily uses it for browsing the net and the occasional word processing and emailing. Something with protection and all of that would be clutch, basically something to give her no technical problems.

Desktop is probably fine seeing as she doesn't move the laptop as it is, and you can generally get a better deal overall. She needs a whole package deal, like monitor, keyboard, etc. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Buying Advice on Computer For My Mother
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Buying Advice on Computer For My Mother
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
try right here first
- Collapse -
You might consider

You might consider an iMac. They're a bit on the pricey side, but it should last her a good long while. And it's an all in one setup, so you really only need the power cable if you get the cordless keyboard and mouse.

And what you spend in up front costs can be made up in not needing an AV program, for now at least, and Macs being as close as you can get currently for an appliance-like computer.

Dell and Sony also have all in one computers, but they try and make them into touch screen devices, and maybe it's me, but I don't see the point of having a computer that sits around eye level being touch screen.

I'd say the iMac is probably your best bet here. Be sure to add the AppleCare warranty, because the one big drawback to all in ones like the iMac, is they're a real pain to repair. I do it professionally, so take my word for it, better to get someone ELSE to repair an iMac. It requires some specialty tools. The AppleCare warranty covers you for 3 years, and my guess would be that an iMac could probably last your mom 5-6 years easy. So if you consider the cost over that period of time, it's not quite as bad.

Your only real issue here is teaching her some of the basic differences between Macs and PCs, but it's not as daunting as it sounds. Microsoft and Apple have been ripping off one another's good ideas for years, not to mention other smaller players. The differences between the two are really pretty minor. So long as she still has a healthy sense of curiosity, she should be fine.

CNET Forums

Forum Info