Laptops forum

General discussion

Buying advice needed

by MachThree / August 5, 2009 1:17 AM PDT

Hi All ... was hoping to get some laptop buying advice. I am in the market because my current desktop system has died. I'm perfectly happy with its performance - its an AMD Athlon 4400 w/2 gigs ram and GeForce Ultra 6800 video card. 90% of the time I use the PC, its for web browsing, playing videos, music or MS Office, occasionally buring a CD or DVD. The other 10% of the time is for games - truthfuly I tend not to play the newest titles (plus the above hardware probably couldn't handle it) - I'd be happy if things like Half-Life 2, Company of Heroes and rFactor run well on whatever machine I buy. But, that being said, if it can do a decent job with more modern titles that would be nice as well - I'm very mindful of the fact that with a laptop, you're stuck with whatever hardware it comes with, especially regarding video.

Also, when will Windows 7 machines start arriving in stores? Is it worth waiting? My above machine is win XP, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I really have no particular love for Vista and know it to be a resource and memory hog. And I know (at least based on past experience) - that laptops, with custom hardware and drivers, it tends to be quite difficult to use any O/S on them other than what the manufacture shipped on the machine.

In any case, if anyone can recommend any particular models, would appreciate it. I think Sony NW160J might be along the right lines, but I'm not sure. Hoping to keep this under $1000, but willing to spend up to $1500 if there is a compelling reason to do so.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying advice needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying advice needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?