TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Buying Advice for Large (60"-plus) Flat Screen TV

by iseemvb / November 25, 2011 3:45 AM PST

I want to buy a 60" or 65" TV, with 3D capabilities, and Internet for streaming content. Although since there is no HDMI output on any of these TVs, Internet movie streaming isn't as important of a feature since I cannot run the HDMI video through my Yamaha RX-3010 AV receiver for upsampling of lower resultion videos. I use an Apple TV to do this (or our Samsung Samsung BD-D6500 Blu-ray 3D DVD player with Internet and apps). If there are any TVs you know of with HDMI output, let me know.

That said, the number one most important feature is I am looking for is image quality. Image is paramount. We do not have cable TV, satellite, or a DVR. We use our television ONLY for viewing DVDs (Blu-ray, standard, and 3D) or streaming HD movies. So we are looking for something that will provide the absolute best "cinema experience" on the market. I've done some extensive research and read a lot of reviews, and have narrowed down my choices to these three units:

1. Samsung 60" LED 8000 Series Plasma Smart TV with 3D - Model UN60D8000YF

2. VIERA 60" GT30 Series Plasma TV with 3D - Model number: TC-P60GT30

3. LG 60" 3D capable 1080P Plasma TV - Model: 60PZ950

4. Sony XBR HX929 Internet TV - Model: XBR-65HX929

Based on my stated desire of utmost picture quality, do you have any opinions about these three models? And are there any others I should be considering?

iseemvb has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying Advice for Large (60"-plus) Flat Screen TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying Advice for Large (60"-plus) Flat Screen TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by iseemvb

Collapse -
Re: Output from the HDTV back to a receiver
by Pepe7 / November 25, 2011 12:30 PM PST

If all you do is watch movies, the GT30 is the one to beat on that list if you are focused on maximizing PQ. Black levels and great picture quality is what's it's all about. It's an amazing machine.

Collapse -
Thanks for the advice ...
by iseemvb / November 26, 2011 12:29 AM PST

The GT30 seems to be the consensus I'm hearing elsewhere, too. And yes, the Yamaha does upsample. Here is how it's hooked up:Samsung DVD - HDMI Out --> Yamaha HDMI inApple TV - HDMI Out --> Yamaha HDMI inYamaha - HDMI Out --> HDTV HDMI inI've also discovered, after using the Samsung Apps on my DVD player, that the Samsumg browser is atrocious and therefore would probably just stick to mostly streaming content from my Apple TV, which is a lot easier to use.

Collapse -
Output from the HDTV back to a receiver
by iseemvb / November 26, 2011 1:16 AM PST

Sorry, I posted that before finishing my post. After taking a few measurements, it appears that the 60" size with plasma is ideal for us (viewing angle is important). The Panasonic GT series comes in a 60". However, the Panasonic VT series does not. The only difference I can determine between these two sets is that the VT series has something called "24P Cinematic Playback" at 96 Hz, whereas the GT series does not. What am I losing without this feature?

Collapse -
Output from the HDTV back to a receiver
by 3coursedinner / November 26, 2011 9:56 PM PST

Movies are filmed at 24 frames a minute. 1080/24P can give you the most film like viewing, especially at 96Hz and only for blu rays (not DVD's although DVD's have 24p due to the complex upconverting that would be needed). Look in your blu ray user manual to see if it does have 1080/24P capability -- some don't. If it doesn't the TV won't do it on its own when playing a blu ray.
A lot of people are satisfied with a 48Hz setting on the blu ray player and TV. I have an older Panasonic V series TV and play blu rays at 96Hz and feel it is great.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.