TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Buying a tv solely for viewing tv only.

by oldman339 / September 2, 2012 12:48 AM PDT

I want to purchase a tv solely to watch cable tv. I could care less about interner, addons, 3D, etc. Looking for something in the 50-55" screen size that will give me good service and picture. I am too old to want anything but a tv.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a tv solely for viewing tv only.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a tv solely for viewing tv only.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: cable TV
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 12:52 AM PDT

What TV's are on your shortlist after visiting a few shops and talking with the sales person?

Most of the TV's you'll find with such a size of screen will be 'Smart TV' or '3D'. So those are more expensive, although, of course, you're not required to use those features.

Kees

Collapse -
More specific on original question
by oldman339 / September 2, 2012 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: cable TV

I have priced many from $600-$3,500 and just seems that the more addons there are the higher the price. I guess, Also on CNET their ratings seem to be on the ones that range from $2,000-$3,000. Then, I see a lot in stores that are around $800-$1,500. There just seems such a wide range and it most difficult to make a short list as I do not know where to start. I was initally in the $1,000-$1,200 range and where I really would like to be but are these really inferior to the higher priced units and are they that much better than the lower priced oned. Just confused with such a price range even with the same manufacturer. Confused, confused, confused......

Collapse -
Don't want to confuse you.
by ahtoi / September 2, 2012 6:40 PM PDT
Collapse -
More expensive HDTVs not necessarily better
by Pepe7 / September 5, 2012 12:37 AM PDT

FWIW, many of the higher priced LED models are currently packed to the gills with the features you don't want. That's most of the markup. Right now a 50" plasma is very much a price/quality 'sweet spot'. If you have a dark room/access to decent light control, the Panasonic ST50 would be a great choice IMO and E. This would be around $1500, ballpark. And PQ-wise, it spanks the heck out of LED HDTVs priced much higher.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Answer
Then shop for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 12:55 AM PDT

If it happens with come with those smart apps, but has a great picture why not?

You don't have to use those features.

-> The big problem I see today is the shorter life spans in electronics. Look are the paltry warranties offered. ONE YEAR is common yet you see many fail inside 5 years.

So my advice is to shop, shop, shop and don't toss out a model just because it has those internet, addons or 3D. Go for the display quality and the price. Then add the longest warranty you can if you can't stomach the failures in 5 years.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?