Desktops forum

General discussion

Buying a new PC...need some bang, but not too much...

by gsrs04 / May 3, 2005 8:35 AM PDT

I recently bought a digital camcorder and a digital camera - both of which have pushed me to get out of my 5 yr old Dell PC. I don't expect to do much (or any!) gaming, but will be burning DVDs from my mini-DV tapes and old VHS. Besides, the usual MS Office applications for light home use.

After some research, I believe I need 1GB Ram, a 3.0GHz speed chip, DVD +/- RW, 200GB HDD. And, I am fixated on having A/V inputs to connect the VCR directly to the PC, rather than through another device like Dazzle .

So, my questions are:
a. Any comments on the configuration?
b. Do I need to be obssessed with the A/V inputs - this has really limited the PCs I can select.
c. Any alternatives I should consider to the m7060n without paying too much more?

Thanks....after months of analysis paralysis, I am ready to buy...I think!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a new PC...need some bang, but not too much...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a new PC...need some bang, but not too much...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / May 3, 2005 9:02 AM PDT

eMachines t6212 is alright, you don't need that much. Upgrading the machine would make your pc into a video machine. The Intel Pentium 4 is better at video editing, but you're not doing mass video editing, so amd will be alright and will provide you expandability into 64-bit.
Roger

Collapse -
(NT) RE: Build Your Own
by damasta55r / May 3, 2005 11:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Alternative
by John Robie / May 3, 2005 11:50 AM PDT

Re: "Any alternatives I should consider to the m7060n without paying too much more?"

Yes, the HP m7070n is an improved version and is about $100-$150 more. What the ads omitt to publish is that the m7060n has the Intel 915GV chipset with Integrated on board graphics that cannot be upgraded to an AGP or PCI-Express x16 video card. The m7070n also has about the same thing as the m7060n except has a 3.2 GHz 640 operating system, 250GB hard drive, the Intel 915P chipset with an ATI Radeon X300SE PCI-Express X-16 video card already installed.

Some discussions were made in this thread:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7586-0.html?forumID=68&threadID=96650&messageID=1098289

Collapse -
Err.....the 3.2 GHz 640 is the processor, the operating
by John Robie / May 3, 2005 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Alternative

system is he WindowsXP Media Center Edition 2005.

Collapse -
kully is better....
by argusg / May 4, 2005 2:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Alternative

www.kully.biz offers more power than that system for less.

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / May 4, 2005 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: kully is better....

Kully is not a very reliable brand. GO with monarch, john robie always endorses that brand. Other pc makers can offer the same for a cheaper price. If you email me, i can give you a list of numerous pc makers that are more well-known but not a major maker such as dell. One such maker is hypersonic, but that's for an expensive, very expensive pc. Go to HP.com and customize your own media center. Now customizable, hpshopping.com. Just update the site today. THey brought back the d4000y/e. ALl rite! I was thinking when are they going to bring it back. Now all that's missing is the COmpaq X Gaming PC.
Roger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?