Laptops forum

General discussion

Buying a new laptop: Will the power connector still break?

by naito888 / April 2, 2007 5:53 AM PDT

I am finally replacing my Toshiba 1905-S301. The beast of a machine (like 7 lbs or something...) has been slain by...a terrible power connector. Everyone I speak to that has traveled with a PC Laptop has had this problem: the power connector seperates from the motherboard, preventing the computer from charging, or, even worse, powering up at all.

My Toshiba seemed particularly prone to this problem. I opened up the machine (which has over 65 screws) to reconnect the power socket to the motherboard. I have repeated this four times, eventually cutting holes in the case to make access easier.

Although I have had no other problems with my Toshiba, this problem is so annoying and frequent that I've considered buying a mac book (with that AMAZING magnetic power thingie) and running windows on it. But alas, bootcamp isn't where I need it to be yet.

Are there ANY PC notebooks that have innovative or secure power connectors? If so, what would people recommend?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a new laptop: Will the power connector still break?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a new laptop: Will the power connector still break?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At the office, never broke one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 6:11 AM PDT

It's quite the rare issue but we have a theory that it's the person that travels with laptop and the power is plugged in while it's in the travel bag. We have owners that carried their laptop home daily and didn't wear this out or break it so part of the issue appears to be how careful we are. There must be some that will toss it in the bag still plugged in or trip over the cord today.

Why not the Mac?

Bob

Collapse -
Oh these break...
by naito888 / April 2, 2007 6:33 AM PDT

Oh its not a rare issue. I used to work at Best Buy and we saw it all the time. Ask anyone that repairs laptops and its very common. In fact that's what all the sales guys have told me "It happens on every model, so its a moot point". I was hoping for better advice.

I don't travel with it plugged in, but you're right, it could be more the traveler. I'm careful, but I use my computer in coffee shops, libraries, hotels, and airports. It's at crazy angles and resting in wierd places. People who walk by my table with a cafe-mocha-lattte-chino-light-ice-no-froth knock it. Yet...all the plugs seem to stick out straight. Is there at least a company that makes a 90 depress elbor or something less prone to putting pressure on the socket?

Collapse -
Yes I fixed a few of these.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh these break...

My reply is that of the hundred so laptops at the office not once has this happened. A repair counter has a bigger base to draw on.

My point here is that our care must be an influence on the incidence level or we would have seen it at least once in house.

The few I repaired were from accidents and from the few that admitted to traveling with it plugged in while in the bag. I can't say it's a design flaw from my view. Otherwise how could we have a zero incident level at the office?

Bob

Collapse -
Missing the point...
by naito888 / April 2, 2007 6:46 AM PDT

It's not nessessarily a design flaw...for awhile it worked. I didn't have a problem for the first three years of use. But after that, things headed downhill.

The macs have a magnetic connector, that when bumped, pulled, or yanked, comes out without damage. If bootcamp software was flawless, I'd just buy a mac and put windows on it, but there are still alot of driver issues to work out, and alot of the cool hardware on a mac does not work well in the windows enviorment.

So I guess in the end, I'm looking for people that have HAD this problem to tell me what they did once they bought their next system, and if there is anything out there that differs from the standard Toshiba like power plug. I'm not looking to debate the occurance of this problem.

Collapse -
The answer is very sad. Just go shopping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Missing the point...

Take a trip to say Best Buy and look over each model presented and you see the same old power connector that failed for you.

Outside of maybe the IBM Thinkpads (now Lenovo) there is no maker that has changed this area significantly other than Apple.

I never HAD the problem. I only FIXED it many times. So I don't qualify to answer you from what I can see. I am only sharing from a small office perspective and from the shop's angle and what info I have gathered over the years.

"a mac does not work well in the windows enviorment."

How could this be true? With boot camp we boot XP or Vista. It's now a bona fide Windows PC. Tell me why this doesn't work.

Bob

Collapse -
THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES TO BOOT CAMP
by nycboy0156 / April 6, 2007 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Missing the point...

One that I'm aware of is Parallels which is made for both mac and windows and you can use it to run windows on a mac or mac on windows. However, I would stay away from the mac, it will cost you dearly. Every piece of equipment made for a mac is two or three time more expensive than the exact same piece of hardware made for windows.(Just compare the price of "Parallels" for both) In addition you will also have to get used to the "no version for mac" messages that appear everywhere on the net. I got so tired that I finally dumped the mac and moved over to windows. I got tired of paying top dollar for computer equipment and being treated like a second class netizen. Of course the decision is up to you, but you have been warned!

Collapse -
And could be worth every penny.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2007 6:35 AM PDT

I've watched many poor(er) souls head to service counters or call the geeksquad to solve issues that never happen on an Apple. This is not to write that it's nirvana but let's look at BACKUP on a Mac and compare what came with Vista.

Ouch! Who was asleep when backup was discussed?

The average bill for a trip to those counters is now in the 200 buck category. Can everyone afford this?

Bob

Collapse -
Backup is as easy as 1,2,3 on vista.
by nycboy0156 / April 6, 2007 6:44 AM PDT

First of all if you're not aware of it Vista keeps a copy of every document you work on. So if you've worked on your document 8 separate times vista has all 8 versions, you can go back to any one you wish with just a double click. As far a backup is concerned, you can drag all those important documents to a flash drive, they already come in capacities of (8) EIGHT GIGABYTES and are sure to exceed that amount before years end!!!
Two hundred dollars for tech support?? Have you checked out the price of mac peripherals lately? Over the lifetime of a mac it adds up to thousands.

Collapse -
Yes, I've compared.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2007 6:51 AM PDT

The trips to the shops keep them busy. I take it you haven't seen the MacOSX backup facility. I've seen Vista's and it seems poor to MIA to the task.

The Vista forum is in need of your help. You appear to be willing to pitch in so how about rescuing a few fellow members?

Some peripherals are the same price such as Printers, Camcorders, wifi routers, external drives, etc. What items are you referring to?

Bob

Collapse -
No terribly conserned about cost
by naito888 / April 6, 2007 6:52 AM PDT

Really...I've never paid anyone else to fix my computer, so trips to geek squad (who goes to best buy to fix a computer anyway?) arn't a consern. What is conserning is how mac hardware is supported in windows. Bootcamp isn't written to support Vista, and many things don't work in windows (the camera does not work on windows, the clock resets at ever reboot, keyboard problems, no delete key to log in for business purposes, the infared remote doesn't work). Just seems like alot of the cool stuff about a mac doesn't work when you run windows on it (what makes this a "bona fide" windows machine again?).

Anyone running windows on their mac exclusively?

Collapse -
"Bootcamp isn't written to support Vista,"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

You must have missed the announcement. That's supported now.

If you are self supporting then you may not see the savings. I don't go the noted repair counter but take a trip there and watch the counter for awhile and you'll be amazed.

Not everyone is self sufficient or wants to be. Most of us want it to work.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?