Laptops forum

Question

Buying a new laptop

So I've looked on this board trying not to repeat an earlier question, but haven't come across anything so here it goes.

I'm looking for a new laptop under $1000 that will be used almost exclusively for word processing, email, using the internet, and listening to music. No gaming. My main request is that it is reliable and somewhat rigid. I want it to last. I've looked and looked but there are just too many options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a new laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a new laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Laptops

In reply to: Buying a new laptop

There are so many choices from which to pick. It doesn't really seem as though your needs are that great so it should be easy to find something for well under 1k. A good friend of mine just purchased an I-5 Toshiba from Office Depot for about 600.00 and it does what he needs and then some, he is a Vetrinarian and hooks it to several external devices that he uses in his practice, it is really pretty impressive. So there is a thought, I thought it was pretty hard to beat for the money. Good luck!!

Collapse -
Edit

In reply to: Laptops

Thanks for your help.

I would like to add that I really want something that will last as long as possible. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if I can have the idea that it will last longer than a year or two.

Collapse -
L/T longevity

In reply to: Edit

I have 2 Laptops, both Toshibas, one is going on 5 years (same battery) and the other I have had for a bit over a year. Both run Intel processors. The 5 year old unit has been all over, travel use both coasts I have done pretty much everything with it. When I purchased (5 year old) was about 1.2k, better systems now just a bit over half the cost. I have done considerable burning with the DVD/RW using aftermarket Nero software. Also I have dual booted that system with Linux since I have owned it. I have several aftermarket software packages loaded, Office Pro and some others. For the past 2 and a half years (went from Vista to Win7) I have used the Kaspersky A/V softrware for security. This has been by far the best laptop I have ever owned and I had a few prior (other manufacturers) that I was NOT satisfied with. My advice would be to stay with the Intel processor and if you travel buy a VERY GOOD case, do not skimp on such if you travel. For peripherals get yourself a good mouse, preferably a Logitech Nano, carry a couple of flash drives a hunk of ethernet cable and adapters(as needed) and you are good to go. As I said a very good friend of mine bought the Toshiba i-5 a few weeks ago, he is happeir than a clam at high tide, his prior unit was an older HP dv system that I got tired of resurrecting. Good luck and HAPPY EASTER!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!