Computer Help forum

General discussion

Buying a new labtop

by CoMpUtEr HeLp / January 31, 2007 1:20 PM PST

Hey i am just needing some advice on some labtops. I was looking at a compaq Presario and here is the link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8223317&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050019&type=product&tab=1&id=1166840116290

I am looking for a computer that can run a few games like battlefield but can also be used for mobile entertainment and so far this is the best on in the price range. Im not really looking for a duo processor because amd turion is just as good. so please right back and give me some advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a new labtop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a new labtop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't want a laptop
by drat_ninny / January 31, 2007 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Buying a new labtop

Laptops are absolutely horrible at the very things you want to use them for. If you absolutely want a gaming laptop, Alienware systems are probably the only real way to go, and it will cost you a pretty penny.

Collapse -
I can't give a pass to Alienware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 10:31 PM PST

When you write it will cost you, that might be more true than you think. Just look in the Laptop Forum for Alienware posts.

Bottomline -> They don't appear to be able to service the machines.

Bob

Collapse -
Even with the NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, no go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2007 10:33 PM PST

While the game will play, it will pale in comparison to most desktops. Gaming laptops run about 2x that price.

Bob

Collapse -
you'll need a gaming laptop
by ramarc / January 31, 2007 11:41 PM PST

budget $1500 at least. make sure the laptop has at least geforce go 7600 or mobility radeon x1700 graphics (higher would be better). try to keep the screen resolution at 1280x720 since higher res screens require too much graphics horsepower for a real laptop (lightweight, cool running).

here's a benchmark list of mobile GPUs.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

this hp is a bare minimum gaming laptop: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8223282&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050022&id=1166840116155

a dell inspiron e1705 with a geforce go 7900gs starts at $1498.

Collapse -
well
by CoMpUtEr HeLp / February 1, 2007 11:41 AM PST

well this one is pretty good for some stuff my friend said. like you guys said it dousnt have the best graphics card but it might work ok.it does have a 2.0 ghz speed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.