HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Buying a New Harddrive for my Dell

by okicuhateme / January 27, 2008 11:46 AM PST

Okay I got my comp a coupla years ago and I am really needing a new hard drive.I've been thinking about getting a Maxtor Basic 300 gb Internal drive but Im not sure if its compatible because it says its for ATA.My question is do I have a ATA or IEDE connection?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a New Harddrive for my Dell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a New Harddrive for my Dell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Was that IDE?
by Dango517 / January 27, 2008 12:49 PM PST

I'm running a IDE and SATA drive on my computer and they run well, though the IDE is a little slower but not much, both are 5400rpm drives. Both are formatted as NTFS drives. I would suggest you run the same brand as you have currently equipped on your computer to avoid compatibility problems. This is especially trouble if your doing a master/slave configuration. By the way, almost all drives are IDEs; mostly they've just changed the name and the wire they use.

Collapse -
Well you did not say what model Dell
by lacsr / January 27, 2008 8:01 PM PST
In reply to: Was that IDE?

In order to answer the SATA or IDE question, need the model number. Better yet, what type of drive is in the computer now?
Look in Device Manager and copy down the model number of the drive, then Google for it. That will tell you the kind. (or you can take the side of the case off and look)

Collapse -
Dell model# ?????
by Willy / January 27, 2008 11:23 PM PST

The Dell support website and your manual will explain the HD abilities you have for your model#. Older systems tend to be EIDE which is the same as PATA, thus the ATA part. The latest HDs are SATA, so review the manual or visit the website. Understand also, many systems do support *both*. Besides Dell, the HD maker support website provide info on installs, visit them if problem.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
so far so good
by okicuhateme / January 28, 2008 3:06 PM PST
In reply to: Dell model# ?????

Thanks for the responses thus far.I googled my cd model:st380011a
I see that its a seagate and I just copied the below part from the first results web page:

SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY LLC
1-800-SEAGATE
http://www.seagate.com
(C)opyright 2006

ST-380011A (Barracuda 7200.7 80, Ultra ATA/100)

Collapse -
Appears OK
by Willy / January 29, 2008 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: so far so good

Yes, as long as both HDs are PATA/EIDE types then you can use it. Be sure to read the help guide or manual for install, I suggest you use the CS(cable select) type connection and be sure that the new cable(40-pin/80-conductor) is used. If you plan to use the old HD with the new, then be sure the new HD is the 1st HD attached for operation. I rather prefer(IMHO), you get away from the old HD period, to lessen any hassle once data is copied/transfered to it. Be sure to follow the data setup process thus your new HD can replace the old. If you need any HD s/w for the install and it didn't come in the box, the support website for Seagate(owns Maxtor) find model and then get the s/w.

tada ------Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.