Desktops forum

General discussion

Buying a new desktop and confused

by cleebadee / March 10, 2008 3:21 AM PDT

Thanks to all on this forum. I have read threads and followed to other sites and read some more. I want to purchase a new desktop and have tried to learn all I need to know to make the best purchase. Now my brain is fried. I'm pretty sure I want an Intel Dual 2 core proc, alteast 2-5 gigs of fast ram, a fast bus, a great video card, etc (in other words I want the thing to be fast) The biggest software program I run is Quickbooks Pro, soon to be 2008. I'd love to download music and small videos without problems. I don't know how to build a puter, and can't find one that's got all I want in a package. BTW, don't want to spend more than $800-$1,000.

My question is can someone tell me where's the best place to buy and exactly what specs to make sure are included? I promise not to hold anyone responsible later and will be eternally grateful not to think about this again for another 5 years.
Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a new desktop and confused
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a new desktop and confused
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"2-5 gigs of fast ram"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2008 3:26 AM PDT

Given that today's most common versions of Windows don't give more than 2GB of ram to the application and even then only 3G with cajoling and the application compiled "special" why are you thinking of going beyond 2GB?

Bob

Collapse -
See these sites
by Dango517 / March 11, 2008 5:56 PM PDT

Ask yourself this....What do I/others need and want to do with this computer then choose components to meet these needs/wants. How about future needs and wants?

Both of these sites allow you to customize for your needs and wants. Both sell pretty good Computers. I like HP myself but I would buy a Dell.

Dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DDCWDE2&s=dhs

HP:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=Versatile+computing&series_name=a6360t_series

You might also want to see some reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktop-computers/?tag=ont.desk

I'd suggest a Desktop....avoiding mini towers, mid towers, and laptops. When it comes to computing it's all about speed and power. These other systems lack speed and power in differing ways. Only choose a laptop if you need portability. You want a work horse not a center piece. Happy

When you get your choices narrowed down to two or three I'd check out the motherboard on them. This component will determine how much you can upgrade the system in the future.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
new computer
by spongiform / March 14, 2008 4:55 PM PDT
In reply to: See these sites

You might want to check out www.cyberpowerpc.com - I've got my last few machines from this place. They don't use cheap but overpriced proprietary equipment like I've come to expect from most of the big name brand company's (like dell, packard bell etc.). They also have reasonable prices and make some very nice budget gaming systems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?