General discussion

Buying a miniDV

I went to an outlet, with the intention of purchasing a camcorder with the miniDV recording format. I know what I want, but the sales person kept pushing DVDs and Hard Disks, saying that miniDVs are old and out...I tried to explain, but to no avail, and this happened where many people were around, and some turned their heads in my direction. This made me looked silly and stupid. Do I break the law if I tell out loud all the bad things (in a positive manner) about DVDs and Hard disks, so that all the people can hear ? (I was in a store in New Yotk, USA. Thanks.

christy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Buying a miniDV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Buying a miniDV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Camcorder formats

It really depends on how you are setup to use camcorder formats after you record something. I personally prefer the mini-DV format because my computer has a Firewire connection and so does my mini-DV camcorder, and I have the software on my computer that accepts Firewire. Mini-DV will be around for a long time, and for my purposes, it maintains better image resolution for downloading video. For many, the ability to directly download video to YouTube is of primary importance, and people who do that need a camera that records video on a memory card or hard-drive. Do your own thing. Buck the system. Purchase a min-DV, and don't speak to the idiot sales person. Heck, prior to his video sales job he had a job trying to sell you a GM car instead of a Honda, so what does he know? Happy

- Collapse -
If you rely on sales people, you will buy an item that

doesn't do what you want. Sales people usually have less knowledge than you do because you have spent time in research. They are pushing whatever makes them the most money. Their knowledge is limited to whatever makes them the most money. They don't care about anything else, and they are not sources of technical knowledge. Buy what you need, and ignore the ill informed hype.

- Collapse -
You obviously....

..know much more about camcorders than the sales person..... If you still want to shop at that place, then ask the sales persons questions about what can be done with miniDV but can't with DVDs and Hard Disks - they won't be able to answer you ...then ask for their supervisor, and if also does not help, ask for their sales director...then argue for a discount since the miniDV models are "old stock", and while you are there, ask for miniDV tapes too....

CNET Forums