Laptops forum

General discussion

Buying a laptop, need help deciding!

by alexin_05 / July 27, 2008 10:22 AM PDT

Hi everyone, well as the title says I will get a laptop soon but I haven't yet decided which one. I'm a college student so I need a light laptop but also I need a powerful one, I like to play games like Call of Duty 4, Star Wars Battlefront II, Crysis, Halo, etc. I'm not looking for perfect system requirements for those games just the necesary ones.
As a normal student I run many multimedia aplications so I need a system that could handle those.
Finally, I live in Mexico and laptops are a little more expensive than in the U.S. so I can't pay a laptop that is $1300 (probably $1400) or higher.
Currently I have two options in mind, the Dell XPS m1530 and the Dell Studio 15, probably interested in a gateway.
So which one should I buy? also, if you have more options in mind please tell me.
If you recommend a Dell system please post the ideal system configuration for my needs.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a laptop, need help deciding!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a laptop, need help deciding!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"light laptop but also I need a powerful one, I like to play
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 10:26 AM PDT

"light laptop but also I need a powerful one, I like to play games like Call of Duty 4"

Then 14 to 15inch screen, the best 3D chipset you can afford, 2 to 4GB RAM, Core2Duo and don't think about the battery. Gaming laptops don't last long on battery power.

Collapse -
by alexin_05 / July 27, 2008 10:35 AM PDT

The problem is that most of the commercial laptops here in Mexico don't have a dedicated GPU and if they have it the cost goes up to $1750, except from Dell where I can get a 256 Mb Nvidia 8600 GT for just $75 extra. But I can't decide which is better for me, the Studio 15 or the XPS m1530.

Collapse -
Good choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: GPU

The 8600 is fair for laptop gaming. Remember we can't approach what we get dollar for dollar or the performance of a desktop so we compromise.

Collapse -
GPU comparisson
by alexin_05 / July 27, 2008 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Good choices.

Sorry but I'm new here. If I get the Dell XPS m1530 I will have the Nvidia 8600 GT but if I get the Studio 15 I will have the Ati M Radeon HD 3450 (256 mb) The problem is that I don't know which will work better for me. I've heard that the Radeon HD 3450 is not good enough for games like CoD4.

Collapse -
When you get down to models the next thing is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: GPU comparisson

Finding reviews with BENCHMARKS. You are looking squarely at 2 gamer laptops.

Collapse -
needing help
by alexin_05 / July 29, 2008 1:21 AM PDT

please I could use some help

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?