Storage forum

General discussion

Buying a DVD burner with a P-III CPU

by n2b / February 25, 2005 2:35 AM PST

I am trying to decide the best DVD-R/+R/&RW,CDR,CDRW burner for my Dell Dimension 4100 running Win XP Pro. I have a 800 MHz CPU and 256 RAM.
The DVDs that I see on various product reviews all expect/require a Pentium IV around 1.4 GHz or better.

Question No.1 Will there be a compatibility problem if I install any one of these DVD drives to a slower CPU (other than burning at a slower rate). I was thinking of a Plexstor PX-716 or PX-712 or equivalent.

Question No.2 If the above has a serious compatibility problem. Would anybody reccomend a reliable DVD unit for around $100 suitable for a Pentium III

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a DVD burner with a P-III CPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a DVD burner with a P-III CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't see...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 3:46 AM PST

Any issue with the DVD recording since my p3-600 (MHz) laptop can do this fine. Just have to be patient.

About "reliable". Define "reliable". These drives are not that reliable and will last from 1 to a few years. None I know of are going to exceed that timespan. If you can live with replacing an under 99 buck drive in 2 years there are dozens of DVD recorders you can choose from.

Bob

Collapse -
Buying a DVD burner with a P-III CPU
by n2b / February 25, 2005 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: I don't see...

Thanks Bob
Would you reccomend a brand name which would be around the $100 range?
I found that Plextor PX 716SA is available for $90 after rebate. It requires a 1.4 Ghz CPU and has all the bells and whistles including double sided recording (which I don't need at this beginning stage). Surprisingly earlier models with a little less speed capabilities and more modest specs are quoted at between $200 and $300 -- does'nt make sense !!!

Collapse -
I have the Plextor 716SA
by Steven Haninger / February 25, 2005 8:32 PM PST

and other Plextor drives. I have yet to experience any problems with these but time will tell. One thing of note is that this is an SATA drive and not an IDE. Can your system support SATA? I know of no P-III boards that do. They do have an IDE version.

Collapse -
No I can't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 10:39 PM PST

A little over a year ago we stopped buying by brand name. The DVD recorders apparently became a commodity item so we have Teac, Liteon, and the list goes on and on. We now just toss in the 49 to 69 dollar units.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!