Cameras forum

General discussion

Buying a DSLR which is better (XSI OR D3000)?

by Bullz_i / November 22, 2009 6:14 AM PST

I like photography so much and i am moving from a p/s to DSLR i have some info about the apperture, speed, DOF and ISO .
I am looking to buy a DSLR but I can not decide between canon XSI or nikon D3000 or maybe nikon D5000.
I need a camera that is fast , shoots quality pics with high ISOs, I dont want it to capture video its not important to me.
I like to take portrait pics too and to use the DOF much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a DSLR which is better (XSI OR D3000)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a DSLR which is better (XSI OR D3000)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Barking up the wrong tree
by SX10 IS / November 22, 2009 8:46 AM PST

You're not going to find a dSLR in that range that is fast and low-light sensitive.

Probably the EOS 50D/EOS 7D/Nikon D300s is your best bet.

Collapse -
upon your reply
by Bullz_i / November 22, 2009 8:59 AM PST

thanks for the reply .....
the problem is that i cant afford those ......
so from the budget cameras which of them is the best in your opinion ?

Collapse -
Which one is more important?
by SX10 IS / November 22, 2009 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: upon your reply

Light sensitivity, or shooting speed?

Collapse -
Light sensitivity
by Bullz_i / November 22, 2009 9:42 AM PST

Light sensitivity

Collapse -
D-SLR choice
by hjfok / November 23, 2009 5:22 AM PST

You can just flip a coin to decide between Canon and Nikon, they are very similar in quality.

For low light action shots, the lens is more important than the exact camera body used. If you want zoom lens, f/2.8 is the most you can get. But you can get wider aperture for less money with prime lenses. So it depends on your budget and preference. But lenses in this category can easily cost more than the camera body itself.

There are many ways to take low light still photos, using fast lens with IS, tripods with slow shutter speed, flash (regular or rear curtain), flash with intention motion of the camera to create background light streaks, etc. Choices are limited by your imagination, not the camera body.

For other shots, try to use as low an ISO as possible, and learn how to use external light if the ambient light is suboptimal or too dark. A better indoor portrait is accomplished with strobes and tripods, not necessarily with a faster lens (many people actually stop down to f/8, f/11, etc). For outdoor portrait with good ambient lighting, the 85mm f/1.8 is usually a good buy.

So just make a choice or flip a coin. Canon and Nikon are both very good, you won't regret your choice. Good luck!

Collapse -
by Bullz_i / November 23, 2009 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: D-SLR choice

Thanks for the great info
I will try to make my mind hopefully

Collapse -
For more information,
by jump1127 / November 23, 2009 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: Thnx

visit for the indepth review of Canon and Nikon camera. The site digged deeply into those cameras. Good luck.

Collapse -
Nikon D5000
by SX10 IS / November 24, 2009 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Thnx
Collapse -
RAW Processing
by SX10 IS / November 24, 2009 10:24 AM PST

The thing the XSi and T1i have over Nikon's entry-level dSLR's are 14-bit RAW files (versus the D5000's 12-bit).

If you're going for JPEGs, then you shouldn't really pay that much attention to this part, since JPEGs are 8-bit only.

Collapse -
Buy Nikon D3000
by kristinacallis / November 24, 2009 12:55 PM PST

According to my experience Nikon D3000 is good one to buy, comparatively low cost , great output , good performance, very easy to use, great features provided to capture quality pictures, powerful zooming capabilities and many more. I also found an interesting blog where i am looking to buy another digicam. Please refer to below link.
Hope this helps you.

Please let me know, which camera you finally decided to opt for.

Collapse -
by Bullz_i / November 24, 2009 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: Buy Nikon D3000

Thanks for your note
I am leaning toward the D3000 and I found a good offer in Costco I am thinking of it .
Thanks again

Collapse -
No Live View
by SX10 IS / November 24, 2009 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

In my opinion I would suggest you go for the XSi, T1i, or D5000 as opposed to the D3000. The reason? You're just moving up from a point-and-shoot, right? So you're used to using the rear LCD for composing your shots, then. You can't do that with the Nikon D3000 - you can only use the viewfinder.

If you've decided on Nikon then go for the D5000.

Collapse -
by Bullz_i / November 25, 2009 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: No Live View

well I had a Lumix DMC-FZ28 and I was using the viewfinder lately more than the LCD so I am used to the viewfinder..... but If I will find a good price for the d5000 I will buy it coz its simply a better optioned camera more than the D3000
Thanks for your openion

Collapse -
D-SLR viewfinder vs live view
by hjfok / November 25, 2009 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: No Live View

I always use the viewfinder on D-SLR to compose and take shots. I only use the live view mode for videos. Autofocus on Live view mode uses contrast detection, which is slow on the D-SLR and cannot use it for action photos.

Collapse -
But you're not new...
by SX10 IS / November 25, 2009 5:42 AM PST

...and Bullz_i is. That's why I suggested s/he get a Live View-capable dSLR.

Collapse -
bought the d5000
by Bullz_i / December 17, 2009 9:14 AM PST
In reply to: But you're not new...

finally i bought my first DSLR and i chose the D5000
I like it till now but i have a couple of concerns :
1- the shutter speed is not fast as 4 fps how should i test it
2- Is it normal to hear noises when i half press the shutter button , i know i would hear some but maybe i am not used to it , its like there is a spring moving inside

thanks for the advice though

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?