Computer Help forum

Question

Buying a customized PC, Is this going to work?

by GrebGoneBad / April 4, 2012 5:46 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Hi, i'm just wondering if you think that the following computer spec is going to work well as both a gaming computer, (for online and offline games) and as a home computer, (for things such as Microsoft office etc.) and also for running CAD software? Is the motherboard going to be able to support all the components?<span>

<span>Computer Case - X-Blade Black <div><span>CPU - AMD FX 8120 (8 x 3.1 GHz) AM3 16MB - Black Edition
<span>CPU - Heatsink Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced BK014 - Silent
Memory - 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9)
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 - 2 GB - (PALIT) - (PCI-E)
Motherboard - Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 (AMD 760G) - VGA
Sound Card - Motherboard Integrated HD Sound Networking - Edimax Wireless LAN 300Mbps (PCI)
Power Supply - 700W PSU
Hard Drive #1 - 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 32MB
Optical Drive #1 - Samsung 24x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - Lightscribe (SATA)
Operating System #1 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a customized PC, Is this going to work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a customized PC, Is this going to work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Seems familiar.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2012 5:57 AM PDT

I have this hp d4999t with that Nvidia 520 and while it's OK, the total system draw is about 105 Watts when a game runs. So while I like to see BIG POWER SUPPLIES I can't see why here.

Also I've had too many issues with that AMD line so back to Intel for now.

If this was me, I'd get similar with the Intel CPU then pick a video card from this list.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

You can do better.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by GrebGoneBad / April 4, 2012 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems familiar.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it into consideration. Ideally, I would love an Intel i7, but unfortunately Intel is just too expensive for me at the minute. If I was to go with Intel the price would be bumped up by around another £200-£300, so I think I'll stick with and for now. But again, thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.