Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Buying a compass

Not a military-quality one. Not for camping, hiking, etc.

Just for knowing best directions when it comes to planting, watching for meteor showers, etc.

I assume a pocket one would be adequate, and in looking at those at Amazon, price does not seem to mean quality, Fluid filled OK? Plastic case OK? Under $20 looks promising.

Thanks.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying a compass
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying a compass
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For general/rough directions

In reply to: Buying a compass

Visit goggle..mapquest...enter you address and check the orientation N/S/E/W of your location.

Collapse -
Visit google map

In reply to: For general/rough directions

Not goggle Wink

Collapse -
Nice thought for "free"

In reply to: Visit google map

..... but I wouldn't recall which way to look after I got back outside. Happy

Actually, this is for a Christmas gift. (See my Thank You below.)

As I said there, I had forgotten how useful the one my brother had was, and for so long.

Appreciate your taking the time, JP.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
A nice little pocket one...

For a long time, Marble has made a small, extremely rugged one. It's about $14, and you can get a good compass for $10, but this little pocket one is great. The link is to a web site that happens to sell them so you can see what it looks like, but it's an old standard and can be found elsewhere and possibly even cheaper.
Link: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=176303&t=11082005

Collapse -
That is a beautiful little compass

In reply to: A nice little pocket one...

Suitable for placing on a lanyard and hanging it from your neck. Very nice.

Collapse -
They also make it...

In reply to: That is a beautiful little compass

They also make it mounted on a little L-shaped bracket with a pin on the back, so you can pin it on your clothing and read it as you walk. The things are so rugged they're kid proof. It's made by the Marble Arms Company, known to a lot of people familiar with arms as the maker of the Marble Game Getter back in the 1930's.

Collapse -
Very cool history behind that

In reply to: They also make it...

I may just have to get one !

I used to have s boy scout compass I got back in the late 1960's that was pinned to the strap on my old scout canvas rucksack. I used the ruck sack for carrying game for years after I got out of the scouts. Sadly the compass failed some years ago. The sealed glass inside the brass case got cracked, and water got inside causing the cardboard / paper insert that marked out the compass headings to warp, and push up against the needle which stopped it from spinning.

Collapse -
Thanks J and Grim

In reply to: A nice little pocket one...

This is just what I'm looking for.

Christmas "stocking stuffer". Best price I found. The site also offers the option of USPS 1st class shipping for $3.95, less than the UPS ground. I usually avoid USPS, but there is plenty of time between now and Dec, 25th. Happy

Thanks for your help.

My brother had one when he was a Scout that we used for years and years.

I didn't even think of giving one until I bought a flashlight at Big Lots that had one at the bottom. Didn't notice that until I was putting in the batteries.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Christmas.....5 months away

In reply to: Thanks J and Grim

the older I get, the shorter the months get

Collapse -
I already have a

In reply to: Christmas.....5 months away

....... stir fryer pan squirreled away I bought in May. Happy

As my grown kids have said, "If you're into giving hints for Christmas, Mom is done by August."

The truth be told, I was usually finished by Halloween.

That comes from finding stuff on sale. Our kids didn't get many "TV" toys, mostly ones available ear-round, and often on sale early in the year. Or put on "Lay-a-way".

It's almost August. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
J's nifty little compass made me think of one more place...

In reply to: Thanks J and Grim

Collapse -
You can use a watch as a compass

In reply to: J's nifty little compass made me think of one more place...

Collapse -
years back, I bought a watch with an electronic compass

It works fine today, and actually was useful one dark night, when a fellow who I was driving with took a wrong exit and started driving west rather than south.

A plastic case compass is fine, as is any one that does not have an iron case - for obvious reasons Grin For general use, you don't even need one with a sighting lens but only one with clearly labeled degrees on it's face.

In a pinch, a large sewing needle (like one used for sail repair) a cork, a bowl of water, and a magnet can be turned into a compass.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/for_fun/MakeyourownCompass.pdf

If you are looking at cheap ones in a store, just make sure the needle can spin freely, but that it does not tilt from side to side so as to touch the tip of the pointer onto the see through case or the printed face of the device.

If you want to buy on line, here is a suitable compass...

http://www.thecompassstore.com/starter.html

Cheers ! Happy

Collapse -
If you're into navigation...

In reply to: years back, I bought a watch with an electronic compass

If you're into navigation and need one with degree markings, I like the Silva liquid-filled ones. Rugged, well made, and the liquid dampens out the swings when your taking a reading.

Collapse -
(NT) The Silva's are nice

In reply to: If you're into navigation...

Collapse -
Take your pick

Collapse -
Make you're own conmpass

Using a sewing needle and silk cloth/swatch. Rub needle several times, place on a swallow dish of water or container, needle will point magnetic north. Of course a plain compass of the likes for camping do come cheap. A very basic one will be under $10 or so found at K-mart or similar.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
I heard

Captain Jack Sparrow had one for sale, Real cheap and slightly used:)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.