Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Buying 1st Camcorder for New Baby & Vacation

by rockslider / July 27, 2009 6:00 AM PDT

Baby coming in 7 months. Previously planned vacation is only 4 weeks away. Need to purchase a camcorder that will do great in both outdoor(vacation, ice fishing, summer fishing, my dogs) as well as great indoor (endless hours of my first child, christmas's, WCHA hockey games). Preferred budget is under $800. Want to purchase in next 2 weeks. I've went through the cnet best sellers but with flash, hard drive, HD, face detection, image stabilization etc it gets more confusing. In the end, I just need a good overall camcorder with at least 3 hours of recording that both I and my wife can use. Note: I am NOT a big fan of touch screens LCD's...have a touchscreen phone and found those to sometimes be tougher to use or get all smudgy by the end of day. Prefer recommendations of specific camera's instead of other weblinks to view. thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buying 1st Camcorder for New Baby & Vacation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buying 1st Camcorder for New Baby & Vacation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I recommend a HDV camcorder
by sektionschef / July 27, 2009 3:27 PM PDT

Hi
If I were you I would increase the budget a little bit($900-$1100) and buy either a Canon HV30 or Sony HC9. Both are HDV-Camcorders which can record in HD or SD format to tape. Even better, you can do all recordings in HD(high definition) format but let the camcorder output the footage in SD or HD. This means if you don't have a HDTV and a blueray player yet you can just use the camcorder as a HD-to-SD downconverter and years later, when HDTV will be common you will be happy to have all your recordings of your baby already in HD format.
I would not recommend any Harddisk or memorycard HD camcorders because their format(AVCHD) only creates problems on most PCs.
regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
Question for Sektionschef
by StickMaker / August 4, 2009 12:54 AM PDT

THANK you very much for sdcopy.exe. A fine tool for users of JVC camcorders which record in MOD format. I have version 1.99 BETA.

Now I can take my MOD files and fix the aspect ratio and even post to YouTube as I did with this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l66rdJjKL_Y

One question if I may: I set the "rename" part to search for .MOD and rename to .MPG but the resulting file is WMV. Is this something that has yet to be finished; as this is a BETA version?

Collapse -
JVC
by andyjames / August 7, 2009 5:54 PM PDT

I have an Evario - it does my level of filming just fine.
Two problems though:
1. If I try to put the SD cart straight into my Panasonic DVD recorder/burner it cant read the .MOD format.
2. Because JVC strangely use a hexadecimal number system (000 - 00F, etc )for each clip filename which can't be changed within the camera, when you look at the SD card contents using Windows Explorer or equiv all the clips are out of order (a nightmare when returning from hols with 250 clips on the card).
I now read the card with File Renamer, a freebee from Sharrod Computers, which does keep the files in date/time order and rename all the .MOD files to say holiday1.0001.MOD onwards.
andy

Collapse -
Andy....
by StickMaker / August 7, 2009 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: JVC

Hello, Andy; your problems are quite different from mine but it seems we both have managed to find work-arounds. I've put all my notes on my page at http://www.sticksite.com/movies/ in the hope it may help others. Your comments are quite helpful, no doubt, to others with your situation. May I use your comments on my page?
As to Sektionschef, know of any way to contact him?

Collapse -
SDcopy shouldn't create WMV files
by sektionschef / August 11, 2009 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Andy....

Hi StickMaker

First, if "rename to" is set to MPG then SDcopy shouldn't create a WMV file.
Please check whether the WMV file already existed in the target folder before SDcopy was started. Also, do you have entered any text in the field "added Text"?

Second, although I have no idea how SDcopy should be able to create WMV files please download the latest version V1.9994beta from the link below:
http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=280.0;id=221

If you have further questions then you can also contact me via private messages in the forums of http://www.camcorderinfo.com or http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php

regards
Sektionschef

Collapse -
Thanks Sektionschef
by StickMaker / August 11, 2009 6:18 AM PDT

Thanks for that, Sektionschef. As soon as I have some video to work with I'll try that and comment in this forum.

You have done an amazing job with SDcopy and I thank you for it. Do you have a website?

Collapse -
sektionschef I need some advice
by sklinton / August 26, 2009 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Sektionschef

YOu seem to know alot about this stuf. I have the Panasonic SDR- h40. The video cam suite sucks. I bought magix movie edit pro 15, just wondering what do I do now. I think I need to convert files or something. I'm not good with computers and I'm new to camcorders

Thanks

for any help

slinton

Collapse -
advice
by StickMaker / August 26, 2009 7:03 AM PDT

Slinton, I know VERY little about all this but I'm putting what I learn on my "movies" website to help me remember it all; old farts like me tend to forget. Hope to use my camcorder this weekend and then use sektionschef's great little tool again and learn better how to use it.

Collapse -
use these basic instructions
by sektionschef / August 27, 2009 4:14 PM PDT

Hi Sklinton
As a fist step you should create a folder on your PC's harddisk and give it a suitable name like "video".
Then Connect your H40 to the PC, your PC should recognize it like a seperate harddisk.
Then start SDcopy, enter the H40 drive folder into the field source directory and the folder "video" into the field target directory.
If you have made all your recordings in 16:9 format then also check "set Wide-Screen Frag(16:9)".
Press Start and let SDcopy copy all files from your H40 to the folder "video".
Then run Magix and select the video folder. Now you can drag all your video files onto the timeline and edit a nice movie.
Regards
Sektionschef

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.