General discussion

buyin a new laptop

hey
I am an American student that will be going to college overseas. I am looking to buy a new laptop. I know some of the stuff I'm looking for, but I'm not sure what brand to get.
1gb Ram (512+ me add 512 is ok)
Xp Pro
DVD Burner
3 yr warantee
I want to be able to play some games on it, but thats not the complete purpose of the computer. I would also like good battery life. I'd like the best cpu I can get, I've been looking at a P4m 3.33.

My favorite laptop I've found is the Alienware M5500, but it is like $2500, too much money.
The other is a Toshiba A75s2311 which will cost about $2000 and is better in my undefined price range.
Any suggestions? What other brands should I look at? What would you pick? I looked at Dell but they are pricy to get a fast cpu. The dell would cost as much as the Alienware, so DUDE I'm definantly NOT getting a Dell.

Thanks for your help
keybordp

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: buyin a new laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: buyin a new laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
HELP

any body gonna help me out?

- Collapse -
Just noting.

Your question has been asked (by others) some dozen times on this board. What happens is people may not answer the same question again and again.

Bob

- Collapse -
Right. Many people ask this question. . .

Including me, in another post. "What's the best laptop?" And of course the correct answer is, "It depends." Naturally. That's why I'm asking not so much for what is the best laptop, but what is the easiest/most efficient way to get gobs of comparative information quickly so I can construct an information matrix and then see which make and model suits MY needs the best.

- Collapse -
Don't buy Alienware

I would not buy Alienware.

Their support is terrible.

They demand that you open and work on your own laptop - but will not cover any damages if you mess up. (As I found out the hard way).

I just bought a $3600 laptop a year ago - you'd think that would bring some loyalty from them. But nope....

Your money is better spent elsewhere.

CNET Forums

Forum Info