Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

Buy Mac Pro now or wait?

by syashdown / September 29, 2009 3:55 AM PDT

I'm finally going to make the jump from PC to Mac. As a music producer/composer it just makes sense. I'm looking at buying the 8core Pro so I visited the MacRumours website and it says in its buyer guide to hold off buying one as its due a refresh soon. Does anyone know a little more about this and what it means when the refresh happens ie. does that mean I can get the current spec at a cheaper price or simply a higher spec at the same? Is it likely to happen before christmas? will it be worth waiting?

Thanks in advance for any responses,


Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buy Mac Pro now or wait?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buy Mac Pro now or wait?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually any upgrade is
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 11:25 AM PDT

an increase in specs, coupled with a decrease in price.

Apple is very coy about announcing upgrades but as the iMacs are also due, you may want to hang on for a while


Collapse -
by syashdown / September 29, 2009 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Usually any upgrade is

....for the reply, much more helpful than the ones I got at Mac Forums, as in you actually answered the questions! Happy

I'll probably hold out I think...

Collapse -
Thanks from me also
by crt167gc / October 3, 2009 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

My desktop is in need of serious refreshing and I was holding out for one to come soon. Glad to hear my waiting may not be in vain. I'm looking at the iMac 24 incher. Maybe the refresh will have BlueRay...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.