Desktops forum

General discussion

Buy? HP d4100e or Dell Precision 380? Help.

by Charlotte_Laws / November 22, 2005 3:34 PM PST

I need a new computer. I have narrowed it to either the HP d4100e or the Dell Precision 380. Both will have two hard-drives for automatic data backup. I am customizing either way. Mainly, I am trying to decide on which product is more reliable. Both will cost around $2000; the HP is a little cheaper. The good thing about Dell is that they will send someone to my house to set up and transfer my data from my old computer to my new one. This is great. HP won't do this. I can't do it myself, and it could cost a lot to hire someone. (This accounts for the difference in price between the two computers -- around $200 for Dell to have someone transfer data)

I had bought a Gateway about 8 months ago, but it did not work very well when I received it. (Kept dumping memory) After a couple of weeks on the phone with Gateway and a visit by their tech guy to my house, I sent it back for a full refund. This was after their set-up guy had spent four hours at my house transferring data. Gateway ate the cost for this when the computer didn't work.

So here I am still with the old, slow computer. It is a Dell Dimension -- it has not been great, but at least it is still standing. Its problem is that it is slow and sometimes has error messages. Dell told me four years ago (not long after I bought it) to wipe the hard drive and start over with putting in the operating system. I didn't do it due to the data transfer problem. (It is Windows Millenium)

So.... what do I do? I also want to get a notebook. I like to use two computers at once. I have gotten spoiled -- doing research on one while writing on the other.

I was thinking of getting the HP zv6000 notebook. I have been using an HP zv5000 for the past year (it belongs to someone else), and it has worked ok. But it has to do nothing. It has hardly any data or programs on it... so my experience may not really count.

Last, any other suggestions for comptuers? Although I really hate to start over now. I plan to get the desktop first, then get a notebook in about a month.

As for what I need....

I write a lot. I create and work my own websites. This is hundreds of pages. I have a lot of photos. I am taking a Photoshop class now, so plan to do more advanced photo work. I am thinking of getting into podcasting. I want two hard-drives -- so I can automatically back up my data. I would die if I lost my files.

A friend told me to get a Sony, but it is expensive and does not seem conducivve to customization.

Looking for wisdom. I cannot build a computer -- I can do nothing more than turn the thing on.

Thanks,

Charlotte

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Buy? HP d4100e or Dell Precision 380? Help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Buy? HP d4100e or Dell Precision 380? Help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / November 23, 2005 1:37 PM PST

i have sa4000t. Pretty much same as d4100e. Works good. i guess. But seems expensive even to building your own. My suggestion, get a friend who enjoys building and won't charge you.

ROger

Collapse -
Don't buy a Dell !!!
by gauthier484 / November 25, 2005 10:17 AM PST

I own one and they do not support their computers, If you're not sure what you're doing don't suffer contradictory information at the hands of Dell support. Most of the people I know who own an HP are not complaining, I don't really know what to suggest beyond a little observation about these things, I don't know enough tech stuff to provide you with much more. Buy a Mac?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.