Speakeasy forum

General discussion

BUT IT'S NOT JUST SONY....... SEE THIS.

by AdelaideJohn1967 / November 19, 2005 11:55 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BUT IT'S NOT JUST SONY....... SEE THIS.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BUT IT'S NOT JUST SONY....... SEE THIS.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes but it can be deleted
by Mark5019 / November 19, 2005 12:06 PM PST

as i have a dell sister and brother in law removed from all

Collapse -
True but it can be a pain.
by EdH / November 19, 2005 12:55 PM PST

My daughter has gotten it a couple times from who knows where. Not the safest net surfer. I've managed to get rid of it but it's not that simple. Dell should be ashamed.

Collapse -
i agree with you ed i called and
by Mark5019 / November 19, 2005 1:27 PM PST

told them what i thought of course the CSR says huh.
plus not american Happy

Collapse -
Not American?
by Bill Osler / November 19, 2005 9:31 PM PST

And that is relevant ... how?

That's the kind of gratuitous non-sequitir for which some of y'all routinely criticize DK.

Collapse -
have you ever spoken to there teck support?
by Mark5019 / November 19, 2005 10:26 PM PST
In reply to: Not American?

its been in the news there in india, the philipines etc.
farmed out.
try understanding them!
so yes there teck supports non american.
and thats known

Collapse -
I believe that it is Dell
by TONI H / November 19, 2005 10:49 PM PST

that has purchased land and is building a tech support building/operations center in North Carolina not far from where Cindi lives. I recall having discussions with her about this move before but I don't know if it's already up and running now.

TONI

Collapse -
maybe but there teck supports in india
by Mark5019 / November 19, 2005 11:12 PM PST

that has pissed lot people off.hard to understand them

Collapse -
This is supposedly only temporary
by TONI H / November 19, 2005 11:21 PM PST

until that new site in North Carolina is up and functioning....then all tech support calls will be from there.

TONI

Collapse -
i hope so as
by Mark5019 / November 20, 2005 12:00 AM PST

what i was told its because of cheap labor

Collapse -
Manufacturing I think
by Roger NC / November 20, 2005 1:06 AM PST
Dec 2004 announcement

Dell today announced plans to build its North Carolina manufacturing facility on a 189-acre Winston-Salem site in the Piedmont Triad, pending completion of final due diligence. Construction of a 500,000 square-foot facility in Alliance Park will begin in January, with completion expected in fall 2005.

Dell's North Carolina plant is the company's third facility in the United States announced this year. Others include a customer-contact center in Oklahoma serving the company's home and small-business customers and a distribution center in Ohio for Dell's growing printing and computer-peripherals business. The company in July also announced a customer contact center in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Collapse -
It's manufacturing ...
by Bill Osler / November 20, 2005 1:30 AM PST

The plant is in/near Winston-Salem. IIRC they just started production a few weeks ago.

Collapse -
It is, but it's a manufacturing plant.
by Cindi Haynes / November 20, 2005 3:00 AM PST

No tech support that I know of, they're just building them there.

--Cindi

Collapse -
But if you look at
by TONI H / November 20, 2005 4:13 AM PST

the posts by Roger, it also appears as if there are two USA offices being implemented for tech support/customer service, so I'm under the impression that they are bringing those jobs back to the USA....I remember reading something about this about six or eight months ago in one of the pc mag types that this was going to happen because so many customers were ticked off about not being able to understand or be understood by their out of the country agents.

TONI

Collapse -
No links right now, only a memory
by Roger NC / November 21, 2005 12:46 PM PST
In reply to: But if you look at

but if the vague memory is right, Dell was bringing it's BUSINESS/CORPORATE support numbers back to US because of complaints, while maintaining for the moment at least it's overseas lines for home consumer calls.

At least, I remember somthing along those lines, but it was several months ago, things may have changed.

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's what I remember.
by Kiddpeat / November 21, 2005 2:35 PM PST
Collapse -
I generally use the online chat for their support ...
by Bill Osler / November 20, 2005 1:35 AM PST

I've found that the Dell online folks communicate quite well in English. In fact, their command of English syntax, grammar and spelling is generally better than that of some members of this forum.

However, what prompted the reply was the fact that the reference to foreign tech support personnel was entirely gratuitous and suggests a certain amount of xenophobia. Tech support is not inherently inferior if provided by non-Americans.

Collapse -
I agree
by Glenda / November 20, 2005 1:48 AM PST

It might not be inferior, but it is hard to get around the accent:( MSN tech support was also from India, I finally gave up trying to understand what he said and just removed the software and reinstalled it.

Collapse -
I'll agree not inherently inferior if provided
by Roger NC / November 20, 2005 2:02 AM PST

by non-Americans but I've had calls where I had to ask the support person to repeat questions or statements multiple times. And they had to ask me for the same.

Actually, think mine has been for things other than computer/software support. Banking, credit cards, other product support, etc, all have a fair amount of phone banks overseas now. India seems a very popular spot for such according to some articles I've read.

Now as far as them not understanding me, hey that could be me too, I slur rather badly sometimes I'll confess. But the fact the trouble in understanding was bi-directional became very frustrating occasionally.

In fact, I do recall one occasion I finally said something like never mind and hung up. I called back later after I calmed down to correct the problem.

Collapse -
never said it was
by Mark5019 / November 20, 2005 2:56 AM PST

but if you can understand them its fine.
remember i build and repair computers, but when i called to get a rma they put you intouch with a person that speaks with such a heavey accent.
so you say" entirely gratuitous and suggests a certain amount of xenophobia"
id tell you that your kind of reply is expected.

when the teck dosnt understand that my mother boards bad, after i ran so many tests tells me its my isps fault because he dosnt understand english to well.
and as to online support if u cant get online try useing it.

and do you ever read the dell forums? there help is good but they allso complain about out sourced support.
seems they are allso" entirely gratuitous and suggests a certain amount of xenophobia"<<your words again.

Collapse -
Spyware is a pain, but this is a far cry from a root kit. I
by Kiddpeat / November 19, 2005 2:47 PM PST

do get rid of spyware, and I always find that Dell is over priced.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.