Speakeasy forum

General discussion

But as has been well discussed here, we don't use torture

From the October 6 broadcast of The Glenn Beck Program:

BECK: And what would you -- like, what kind of tools would you use? What was your method and what worked the best?

"MITCH": Well, I had three or four that worked the best. I mean -- you've had your eyes dilated before?

BECK: Yeah.

"MITCH": Well, with simple masking tape or duct tape, you dilate the eyes, and they you use halogen lamps, and a person is placed in a rigid position where they cannot move. Their eyes are opened and the halogen lamps, you know, they're producing 40,000 watts. It's intense. And that breaks them down. High-pressure water -- I mean, you've heard the term "drinking from a fire hose." I wouldn't do that. That generally wouldn't extract what you want, and usually would drown somebody quickly. But you can use high-water pressure into one ear, and when that first ear drum is broken with, you know, 14 or 15 hundred pounds of water pressure going in, the don't -- they will talk before that second ear drum is broken.

[...]

BECK: Mitch, I've got to tell you I appreciate your service. I don't know your circumstances at all. I, you know, I have to assume that, because we wear the white hats that we're not doing this at the drop of a hat.

[...]

BECK: So in other words -- let me ask you this. So, you know, you always see, like, they'll come in with this, like, briefcase, and they'll open it up and there will be all these tools in there.

"MITCH": No.

BECK: That doesn't happen either?

"MITCH": No. No. I did know a contractor that did drilling on live teeth. You know, well teeth. And you've seen that before in different movies.

[...]

BECK: Did you ever accidentally kill somebody?

"MITCH": No. I made them wish they were dead. You know, when you have -- like I was saying the, the best -- my most successful use of any technique was high-pressure air. You just think of a small [high] velocity hose with 1,200 PSI [pounds per square inch] of air coming through it. I don't know if you've ever heard a hose with that much pressure go off, but once -- your ears immediately bleed. One ear blown completely out, and you don't have to do the other one.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200510070011 They have the audio there as well. Think he's making it up?

Nice hunh? But "we" don't do that, just "private contractors" with American accents do that.

I just wanna know, "IS IT SAFE?"

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: But as has been well discussed here, we don't use torture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: But as has been well discussed here, we don't use torture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Purported torturer..."??

In reply to: But as has been well discussed here, we don't use torture

A guy calls a radio show which often does satirical material and makes claims. How thin is that?

I know, you just wanted to do the Marathon Man line.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) no the typical anti america thang

In reply to: "Purported torturer..."??

Collapse -
I've listened to that program on and off

It's really one that, if you want to get an idea of what it's all about, you need to listen often and try to get to know the Glen Beck character. I travel in my work and sometimes listen to radio but am not a regular listener of any particular broadcast. Glen Beck bills his show as a "fusion of entertainment and enlightenment". He does skits and has phony callers as well as real callers and discusses serious opinions. He admits to a sorry past as well. I tend to take his shows at face value and not believe all I hear. Nothing much is verifiable so I wouldn't get in too much of an uproar about this one.

Collapse -
I too listen occasionally when on the road ...

In reply to: I've listened to that program on and off

... I got fooled once listening to the Phil Hendrie show not realizing it is entirely parody. Even posted in the old SE about it before someone set me straight on that one! Hendrie is VERY good at parody! It just so happened that the first time I heard Beck he was talking to a fake caller so I thought that was the whole show. I listened some more and realized it was actually a mix. My guess is that with this linked bit, Beck was making fun of some of the things people are willing to believe. Beck himself has been fooled by callers and later had to inform the audience of such.

I listened to the audio and the initial part Beck sounded like he was kidding. Then the audio is "beep" "beep" clipped together and edited. If the purpose of audio is to hear the exchange, honesty by media matters would require the entire exchange.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
You believe anything that's said if it's recorded, and put

on the internet?

Not a great strategy is it?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) intelligence officer I didn't see that at career day

Collapse -
Gees... ok, to put the matter to rest

I was the mysterious caller. If you disagree, I challenge you to prove me wrong.

Collapse -
I know you. You're married to..

In reply to: Gees... ok, to put the matter to rest

Morgan Fairchild!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Collapse -
I seriously doubt...

the intelligence of anyone who would believe that. They would have to be on the same level as those believing that three little pigs made homes of straw, sticks, and stone and that a bad wolf came along and blew them down.

Torture is illegal and those who confess to such are subject to arrest, conviction, and imprisonment for extended periods.

Has torture happened? Probably since it has happened in EVERY CONFLICT ever recorded.

Was such torture sanctioned as a legitimate technique? In the past (distant past that is) yes, in the present however the answer is NO!

You and others like you really derive considerable satisfaction believing the worst and condemning the whole military for the private acts of a tiny minority.

Collapse -
in the present however the answer is NO!

In reply to: I seriously doubt...

Do you include "rendition" in your emphatic NO?

OUTSOURCING TORTURE

On January 27th, President Bush, in an interview with the Times, assured the world that ?torture is never acceptable, nor do we hand over people to countries that do torture.? Maher Arar, a Canadian engineer who was born in Syria, was surprised to learn of Bush?s statement. Two and a half years ago, American officials, suspecting Arar of being a terrorist, apprehended him in New York and sent him back to Syria, where he endured months of brutal interrogation, including torture. When Arar described his experience in a phone interview recently, he invoked an Arabic expression. The pain was so unbearable, he said, that ?you forget the milk that you have been fed from the breast of your mother.?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This beaten horse again?

In reply to: in the present however the answer is NO!

Collapse -
Ask Edward

In reply to: (NT) This beaten horse again?

He said NO torture

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and as you and rob the bobsy twins think dif

In reply to: Ask Edward

Collapse -
Article not just about Arar

In reply to: (NT) This beaten horse again?

Rendition was originally carried out on a limited basis, but after September 11th, when President Bush declared a global war on terrorism, the program expanded beyond recognition?becoming, according to a former C.I.A. official, ?an abomination.?

Although the full scope of the extraordinary-rendition program isn?t known, several recent cases have come to light that may well violate U.S. law. In 1998, Congress passed legislation declaring that it is ?the policy of the United States not to expel, extradite, or otherwise effect the involuntary return of any person to a country in which there are substantial grounds for believing the person would be in danger of being subjected to torture, regardless of whether the person is physically present in the United States.?

The Bush Administration, however, has argued that the threat posed by stateless terrorists who draw no distinction between military and civilian targets is so dire that it requires tough new rules of engagement. This shift in perspective, labelled the New Paradigm in a memo written by Alberto Gonzales, then the White House counsel, ?places a high premium on . . . the ability to quickly obtain information from captured terrorists and their sponsors in order to avoid further atrocities against American civilians,? giving less weight to the rights of suspects. It also questions many international laws of war. Five days after Al Qaeda?s attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, Vice-President **** Cheney, reflecting the new outlook, argued, on ?Meet the Press,? that the government needed to ?work through, sort of, the dark side.? Cheney went on, ?A lot of what needs to be done here will have to be done quietly, without any discussion, using sources and methods that are available to our intelligence agencies, if we?re going to be successful. That?s the world these folks operate in. And so it?s going to be vital for us to use any means at our disposal, basically, to achieve our objective.?

To justify sending detainees to these countries, the Administration appears to be relying on a very fine reading of an imprecise clause in the United Nations Convention Against Torture (which the U.S. ratified in 1994), requiring ?substantial grounds for believing? that a detainee will be tortured abroad. Martin Lederman, a lawyer who left the Justice Department?s Office of Legal Counsel in 2002, after eight years, says, ?The Convention only applies when you know a suspect is more likely than not to be tortured, but what if you kind of know? That?s not enough. So there are ways to get around it.?

emphasis mine

Collapse -
This was about torture conducted BY ...

In reply to: Article not just about Arar

... our military.

Your dead horse is irrelevant.

Collapse -
The world according to Edward

In reply to: This was about torture conducted BY ...

Torture is illegal and those who confess to such are subject to arrest, conviction, and imprisonment for extended periods.

NO difference between Military or government policy.

OR do you think one is OK and the other isn't?
Collapse -
Again, that dead horse ain't breathing

In reply to: The world according to Edward

Torture is not our government's policy.

Collapse -
OK

In reply to: Again, that dead horse ain't breathing

If you want to believe that "Torture is not our government's policy." and as a result the government doesn't get some other country do "whatever is necessary"

I know there isn't a government in the world that hasn't told "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth"

We've both expressed our opinion and don't agree.

Collapse -
and if you want my opinion

In reply to: Article not just about Arar

if i was incharge id do what it takes to get info and if you dont like it to bad

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.